Beirut Port Explosion

Stucky

Star
Horrific. After what i assume was the initial explosion you can see flashes at the bottom of the plume of smoke then that massive blast kicks in and the smoke takes on a browny orangey colour.

Who or what caused it? At this point who cares there's lots of real people in that area and they should be our only concern at this time.

Much prayers for the people caught up in that.

Aero

Superstar
Let's send Beirut some healing energy.

Also important to note, Ammonium Nitrate is not like Gasoline. It's not supposed to just explode like that. Of course, I've never made an ammonium nitrate bomb, but I'm pretty sure you don't just grab a bag of it and put some fire to it.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah threatened in the past to destroy Israel by causing a massive explosion in the port of Haifa using ammonia tanks that he said would be like a “nuclear” explosion. In addition Hezbollah allegedly sought to acquire ammonium nitrate via Syria since 2009 and tried to infiltrate the agriculture ministry in Lebanon to do so, according to leaked diplomatic cables.

The archival footage has been circulating in the wake of the massive explosion in Lebanon that killed more than 100 and injured 4,000 and has left hundreds missing. It illustrates Hezbollah’s terrorist strategy of targeting civilians for mass murder, despite the organization’s claim that it is “resisting” Israel by defending Lebanon.

A source quoted in a cache of leaked diplomatic cables and other reports noted that Hezbollah’s supply of some explosive material had been cut off over the last decade. Hezbollah also allegedly sought to get the ammonium nitrate via Syria, bringing in thousands of tons of it from Homs. Hezbollah sought to dominate the agriculture ministry in Lebanon since 2009 to get a hold of the material.

justjess

Superstar
Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah threatened in the past to destroy Israel by causing a massive explosion in the port of Haifa using ammonia tanks that he said would be like a “nuclear” explosion. In addition Hezbollah allegedly sought to acquire ammonium nitrate via Syria since 2009 and tried to infiltrate the agriculture ministry in Lebanon to do so, according to leaked diplomatic cables.

The archival footage has been circulating in the wake of the massive explosion in Lebanon that killed more than 100 and injured 4,000 and has left hundreds missing. It illustrates Hezbollah’s terrorist strategy of targeting civilians for mass murder, despite the organization’s claim that it is “resisting” Israel by defending Lebanon.

A source quoted in a cache of leaked diplomatic cables and other reports noted that Hezbollah’s supply of some explosive material had been cut off over the last decade. Hezbollah also allegedly sought to get the ammonium nitrate via Syria, bringing in thousands of tons of it from Homs. Hezbollah sought to dominate the agriculture ministry in Lebanon since 2009 to get a hold of the material.

The Jerusalem post? No incentive to be bias or put out propaganda there, right?

After all the money Israel receives from the US for its military technology, we're to believe that Hezbollah is still a threat to them? Added to the fact that the stories of Hezbollah being blamed for the explosion, circulating hardly 24 hours after the incident, are reminiscent of Osama bin Laden being responsible for the Twin Towers falling while the actual event was still on TV.

This.

I don't think Israel cares al that much about collateral damage or innocent lives lost in their military operations... But I also don't think that's a trait exclusive to Israel. There's a lot to critique over Israeli foreign policy and certain elements of the Israeli government... Much like there's reasons to critique American foreign policy and certain elements of our government.

But fucking hell, do some people make it hard to speak against it... For everyone person who has ideological issues with some of their policies or leadership, there has to be another person who just has to try to make this about the fact they are Jewish.

1.) While there's absolutely Jewish supremacists in the Israeli government... That's not exactly something unique to Israel, or nationalist governments in general. The far-right of American and English governments often have various degrees of white supremacy, some not even bothering to hide it all that well... Ditto for the ultra-nationalists in Japan.

It's fucking shitty and evil... But why is especially bad when Jews do it?

2.) Forces within the American government (and within American corporations) benefit more from both the Epstein scandal and 9/11 than Israel. A lot of shitty things happened after 9/11, but as an American, I'm far more concerned about the shit that our government and intelligence agencies are doing that what coincidental benefits that might help the Israeli state.
1.) Racial supremacy as state policy is different.

2.)So, who is worse, an enemy or a traitor? I suppose you're right, a traitor is worse.

Regardless, Israel did 9/11 so I don’t doubt their bloodthirst or capability for terror in any situation. No evidence that they did this yet, but when a bomb goes off I point to the biggest terrorist in the region, Israel until further notice

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I understand that Jess - I was more interested in getting to what actually happened than who said it though... I can look an narratives on current events in the Middle East from PressTV or AlJazeera and get an Iranian or Quatari view. I don’t think any sources are without bias but some are also more likely to publish facts on particular perspectives than others.

Last edited:

A close-up of the explosion filmed by a couple who were initially filming the fire. Hopefully they're fine. People are pointing to some odd things in this particular video.

At 1:17 the woman asks "What's that sound?" (According to people, this is the same "plane" sound they heard right before the explosion".)

Also can someone guess what the black flying objects are, exactly at 1:33 and 1:53? It's got people debating because they are seen flying in/out right before/after the explosion. Although some are saying they're just birds. I wouldn't know to be honest.

justjess

Superstar

Pay attention to how many times it mentions it is “difficult to detonate” though still claiming that’s the cause. If something is so difficult to detonate what is the explanation for it detonating and how did they determine within seemingly minutes that this was the cause of the explosion when any actual investigation would have been difficult and delayed due to the sheer amount of damage sustained at the site of the explosion.

Wigi

Veteran
Let's send Beirut some healing energy.

Also important to note, Ammonium Nitrate is not like Gasoline. It's not supposed to just explode like that. Of course, I've never made an ammonium nitrate bomb, but I'm pretty sure you don't just grab a bag of it and put some fire to it.
I've just read the following:

Danilo Coppe, an explosives expert in Italy, has said he does not believe the blast was caused by ammonium nitrate. He says the ammonium nitrate smoke is yellow, while the smoke from the blast in Beirut was red and orange.

"What's more", he said, "it was not 2,700 tonnes that exploded, because if it had been 2,700 tonnes that would mean 100 containers of ammonium nitrate. And 100 containers do not explode simultaneously like that. Anything is possible in this life, but I don't think it was ammonium nitrate that exploded."

Aero

Superstar
I've just read the following:

Danilo Coppe, an explosives expert in Italy, has said he does not believe the blast was caused by ammonium nitrate. He says the ammonium nitrate smoke is yellow, while the smoke from the blast in Beirut was red and orange.

"What's more", he said, "it was not 2,700 tonnes that exploded, because if it had been 2,700 tonnes that would mean 100 containers of ammonium nitrate. And 100 containers do not explode simultaneously like that. Anything is possible in this life, but I don't think it was ammonium nitrate that exploded."

I was going to mention how it all blew up at once. Mainly because a similar incident occurred in China, in 2015 I believe. The "accident" in China looked completely different. Multiple huge explosions and more suspiciously the shockwaves were far less severe.

It all leads me to believe the Beirut explosion wasn't caused by regular old Ammonium Nitrate. Basically this was probably some type of weaponized mixture.