Beirut Port Explosion

Wigi

Veteran
Probably the most massive explosion I've ever seen, even more scarier than the one from China back in 2015.

If that was accidental I wonder why that kind of chemical facility was in the midst of Beirut. Either way we will never know if hezbollah was involved in that so there is nothing to say atm.

Lurker

Star
Not buying it. Most likely accidental from chemical/petroleum plant. But the story will serve them well.

definitely looks like a mushroom cloud, from one of the camera angles.

the only thing I was thinking to get a blast that big, was maybe an underground pressurised main full of the nitrate went off as well as what’s in the warehouse.

Aero

Superstar
The explosion was the equivalent of a small yield nuclear weapon.

Ammonium nitrate igniting can explain the mushroom cloud and shockwave, but I'm wondering about the fire before the big explosion. One explanation I read is there was a welding accident. Either way, someone can't just store 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate and have it not be widely known.

Aero

Superstar
D.E.W is a good theory. I'm thinking 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate is a perfect target for sabotage though.

I saw a picture on twitter with giant bags of ammonium nitrate sitting out in the open. Plus read reports the nitrate sat there for 6 years or more. Basically anyone could have plotted this, giving the real saboteurs absolute cover.

Thunderian

Superstar
Hmm exaggerating to throw off honest discussion. Good tactic bravo

this is was clearly just an Israeli preemptive retaliation for what Lebanon was going to do, no biggie
Israel doesn’t work this way or do things like this. They never have. The prime minister of Lebanon said it was an ammonium nitrate explosion. What reason could you or anyone else have to think this was something Israel did?