Before You Vote....

mecca

Superstar
Even though the system is corrupt and voting can never be a means of creating a better system, voting can still be beneficial in smaller ways. The least thing you could do is vote for things that won't make things worse than they already are. It's easy to vote for the thing that does the least amount of damage or the thing that is somewhat beneficial. Voting isn't radical and it won't change the flawed nature of our corrupt system but it can still make a difference. It can help disenfranchised communities have a better quality of life, and that is worth it... it only takes a few minutes to do something that can have a net benefit. We can't become apathetic to the lives of people who are directly affected by the policies that are voted on. If a vote can ease people's suffering even slightly, then it is worth it... even if voting doesn't take down the power structure. I think everyone here knows that the system should change fundamentally, but that does not mean that we should allow things to become worse. Voting shouldn't be all that you do though, you should also try to create a better system. You can vote one day, and then riot the next... lol. I voted and I think it was a good thing overall.

Even though the system is corrupt and voting can never be a means of creating a better system, voting can still be beneficial in smaller ways. The least thing you could do is vote for things that won't make things worse than they already are. It's easy to vote for the thing that does the least amount of damage or the thing that is somewhat beneficial. Voting isn't radical and it won't change the flawed nature of our corrupt system but it can still make a difference. It can help disenfranchised communities have a better quality of life, and that is worth it... it only takes a few minutes to do something that can have a net benefit. We can't become apathetic to the lives of people who are directly affected by the policies that are voted on. If a vote can ease people's suffering even slightly, then it is worth it... even if voting doesn't take down the power structure. I think everyone here knows that the system should change fundamentally, but that does not mean that we should allow things to become worse. Voting shouldn't be all that you do though, you should also try to create a better system. You can vote one day, and then riot the next... lol. I voted and I think it was a good thing overall.
Yes 100%. Voting is just one tactic to achieve progress. It’s also not an individual form of expression rather something that has consequences for real people. Issues of documented voter suppression aside, it’s pretty easy to do. I’m sure I’ll hear “but da lesser evil is still evil” and while true I’d rather fight the lesser evil. I hate voting for corporate democrats, but a corporate Republican is so much worse. I think these last two years prove that those who think they are on a moral high ground by not voting or voting third party ( and this only applies in swing races/districts if you live in a clear red/blue area then you can protest vote/not vote) are actually on the moral low ground lol.

Anyway the best tactic to change the system is radical organized labor, you know it, I know it, and they know it.

justjess

Superstar
Pointless or not I think it’s awesome so many women, including minority women (Muslims, native Americans and latinas) won during this cycle. I love Alexandria Ocasio-cortez. She’s dope. Proud of NYers today.

I did not vote today because there was no one worth voting for or not where I happen to live. Dems pretty much swept it anyway and the one spot that always goes republican went republican again... but I know her and she isn’t too bad and would never have lost regardless because EVERYONE knows her.

Well, the author of the article would be quite happy to know that I don't believe in the state and don't believe my vote matters all that much. On a local level (county), sure. On a state level, a little... But as a whole? No. But that doesn't mean I won't do it, even if I just end up submitting a protest vote.

'cause if we actually want to stop being raped by this depraved and corrpted system we don't do it by just sitting on our backsides. We change by screaming, shouting, and refusing to accept the systems rulings. Whether you're voting for Cthulhu, spray painting an anti-authoritarian message, organizing protests or labor movements, or starting a punk band. While I believe in pacifism , I sure don't believe in being passive.

Vote. ‘cause if you don’t you’re letting the bastards silence you. The article quoted Stefan Molyneux and George Carlin, so I got a quote of my own.

"A savage mutilation of the human race is set on course... It's up to us to change that course. Protest and survive!" ~ Discharge