Bad Times at the El Royale

This is a movie that I'm sure many haven't heard of. It actually is very underrated, and surprisingly showcases some truths to the illusion of choice that we are given in this world. There's a fair amount of symbolism being at play, here.
I'm not really sure how many on this forum have seen this. But, just being directed by Drew Goddard, the very same man who directed Cabin in the Woods, we know it will be revealing.
It takes place in 1969, in a hotel that's split between California and Nevada. The guests are asked to "choose" which state they want to stay in. There is so much going on after they check in, I could get whiplash.
They reveal a fair amount of things. The fact that the guests are being spied on through mirrors, there being a tape of a conspiracy theory, and of course, a hippie cult leader named Billy Lee.
The main point with this that struck me as very intriguing was the illusion of choice. There seems to be a fair amount of duality reveals. One of the main ones was when Billy and his cult members took over the hotel and captured everyone. They were forced to play a game of "Roulette". He would ask them to choose between red and black, and if they got it wrong, he would shoot them. This reminds me of the so called "choice" we have with the covid vax, and also the illusion of voting. This movie did come out in 2018, shortly before the pandemic. I also believe Billy himself loosely represents the New World Order. These are just speculations, not everyone will agree.

Last edited:
I also found the scene where Billy is giving his speech to the members of the cult. His speech starts at around 1:04. There's some interesting reveal in this speech, alot to do with the so called "illusion of choice", and what the governments are really doing to the masses. This is in his own twisted words, but when looked at carefully, it is very telling of what's happening.
Very weird how the villian of the movie will tell a bit of the truth, isn't it? They weren't kidding around making this movie.

This is a movie that I'm sure many haven't heard of. It actually is very underrated, and surprisingly showcases some truths to the illusion of choice that we are given in this world. There's a fair amount of symbolism being at play, here.
I'm not really sure how many on this forum have seen this. But, just being directed by Drew Goddard, the very same man who directed Cabin in the Woods, we know it will be revealing.
It takes place in 1969, in a hotel that's split between California and Nevada. The guests are asked to "choose" which state they want to stay in. There is so much going on after they check in, I could get whiplash.
They reveal a fair amount of things. The fact that the guests are being spied on through mirrors, there being a tape of a conspiracy theory, and of course, a hippie cult leader named Billy Lee.
The main point with this that struck me as very intriguing was the illusion of choice. There seems to be a fair amount of duality reveals. One of the main ones was when Billy and his cult members took over the hotel and captured everyone. They were forced to play a game of "Roulette". He would ask them to choose between red and black, and if they got it wrong, he would shoot them. This reminds me of the so called "choice" we have with the covid vax, and also the illusion of voting. This movie did come out in 2018, shortly before the pandemic. I also believe Billy himself loosely represents the New World Order. These are just speculations, not everyone will agree.
This illusion of choice thing was also the theme of one of the episode of the BBC Sherlock holmes series.
This concept is somewhat grand if you start thinking about it like some people say if all things are predestined so we have no free will. So why there is heaven and hell?
I think its one of those philosophical big question thing where atheists makes a mockery out of religious people.
What do you think?

Last edited:
This is such a nuanced subject like devil, he plays with your mind and puts doubts in you. And this is the point when a lot of people just give in. Its not about government or corporations, this is about game of life. He said what is right and what is wrong, who is to decide.?
Like when defending LGBT, people comes with the argument that they can't help it. Its innate but we say its a choice. Free will is always there. The dark one is just here to confuse and this is an underlayered theme in most of art, music and films. A call for rebellion and drown into meaninglessness. Infact I think, it has a nihilistic undertone.

Interesting perspective @delusion.everywhere. It's interesting, cause yes there seems to be that this theme can be portrayed at times. I do believe in free will and that's what needs to be there. And of course, we always have to be very careful around the dark one as you say, cause he deceives at every moment, behind so much that is fed to us in the world. We have to be super careful.

Also, I feel, although we have free will, the top elites and satanists are constantly trying to get us to believe we only have their "choices" and nothing else. When we rise above that and realise we are being played, it really opens our eyes to what they are really doing.
When Billy in the video is getting the two girls to fight each other to see who will win and get to sleep with him, they never realise he is practically stealing from right under them. This is the distraction that the satanists are using. They want us to fight each other, but not them. They want to give us this illusion that we have a choice, but take away our freedoms amongst them. Free will is the best way to go.

Also, I feel, although we have free will, the top elites and satanists are constantly trying to get us to believe we only have their "choices" and nothing else. When we rise above that and realise we are being played, it really opens our eyes to what they are really doing.
When Billy in the video is getting the two girls to fight each other to see who will win and get to sleep with him, they never realise he is practically stealing from right under them. This is the distraction that the satanists are using. They want us to fight each other, but not them. They want to give us this illusion that we have a choice, but take away our freedoms amongst them. Free will is the best way to go.
Interesting this is the another way to look at it. They are gaslighting masses into their own helplessness which are just limiting beliefs.

peridot

Established
I saw this movie several years ago, and thank you for bringing up the discussion here. (I think I looked here to see IF anyone else thought it was as weirdly symbolic as I did)

I never saw the movie Hotel (Hostel?), but it seemed to be similar where crazy things, and eventually murder is happening in the guest rooms with people looking on.

After the first 5 minutes or so, I thought I'd recommended to family members because it seemed really good. But around the 10 minute mark, I realize that would be a huge mistake. So much deception and disguises represented.

I saw this movie several years ago, and thank you for bringing up the discussion here. (I think I looked here to see IF anyone else thought it was as weirdly symbolic as I did)

I never saw the movie Hotel (Hostel?), but it seemed to be similar where crazy things, and eventually murder is happening in the guest rooms with people looking on.

After the first 5 minutes or so, I thought I'd recommended to family members because it seemed really good. But around the 10 minute mark, I realize that would be a huge mistake. So much deception and disguises represented.
You're very welcome! Thanks so much for the input! Definitely seems like this movie has symbolism, and I don't know if many people have heard of it.
Oh yeah, Hostel, that movie sure is terrible. There are so many horrible things happening in it, I've only seen it off and on because it's so intense! Also, I heard people call it a torture p*rn. These types of genres are meant to disturb and warp the mind. I was glad Bad Times wasn't AS gruesome, but it was still hard to digest.
It very much seems so much is in disguise. I look at the Disney movies for kids and they are riddled with symbolism and mind control. We just don't know what's safe, anymore.

DarntheDarner

Established
Interesting.
That speech sure was haunting.
Another reveal of what the governments are doing to us.
Also, it seems so many of these cult leaders could be controlled behind the scenes.
It's hard to say, but I would not doubt it for a second.