Babylon according to the Bible.

phipps

Star
The Bible uses Babylon to symbolize the enemy power that will war against God in the end times. Studying ancient and modern Babylon will help us understand the prophecies about the coming end-‐time Babylon, and the battle for our hearts and minds that has been taking place throughout history.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Babylon through History.

Ancient Babylon, according to the Scriptures, was the centre of ancient worship. It was larger and more impressive than any other city of its time. Babylon reached the height of its power and glory under Nebuchadnezzar.

Ancient inscriptions tell how Nebuchadnezzar and his father Nabopolasser restored the ancient tower of Babel, a monument to the power of humanity. Nabopolasser said this:

"At the time Marduk commanded me to build the tower of Babel, which had become weakened by time and fallen into disrepair; he commanded me to ground its base securely on the breast of the underworld, whereas its pinnacles should strain towards the skies."

Approximately 300 years before King Xerxes of Persia destroyed Babylon, the prophet Isaiah predicted its fall:

"And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees’ excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there" (Isaiah 13:19-20).

Modern Babylon.

In spite of Isaiah's prophecy, there have been attempts to rebuild Babylon. Alexander the Great tried to restore the tower of Babel to its original glory and make the city his capital in 330 BC, but he died before he could begin. More recently, Saddam Hussein of Iraq was also restoring Babylon, a work he began in the 1980s. He used approximately 60 million bricks in the process and had his name engraved every three meters so that he would be remembered.

However, Hussein must have read the prophecies of Isaiah. His restorations were not an attempt to inhabit the city. Instead, he had his palace built on the other side of the Euphrates River.

End-Time Babylon.

Babylon, the great city we read about in the book of Revelation, does not refer to literal Babylon, as that was never to be inhabited again. Rather, Revelation is referring to end-‐time Babylon, a much greater fulfilment of all that ancient Babylon stood for.

End-time Babylon will be a confederacy of intolerance and false doctrine. This end-time confederacy, however, will fall just like ancient Babylon did. It will even fall for the same reasons—because it will seduce all the nations of the earth into following its false doctrines (Revelation 14:8). Christ will put an end once and for all to all the lies, deception, and hatred when He comes.

Floridafoot

Established
I heard an interesting interpretation of that verse. The idea is that Babylon, though in ruins, has consistently remained inhabited by a scant few. There are animals there. There are pieces of some of the structures still in tact that they are currently renovating and rebuilding. So the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet. This theory claims that Babylon will be rebuilt, where it stands now, and this is the Babylon that will be destroyed completely. The argument is that this verse along with two others (I'd have to go back and look them up) I believe one was in Jeremiah and the other Revelation.. but the idea is that Holy Spirit is emphatic that nothing will be left. Not one person, animal, not even one wall. I felt the argument was very compelling. I'll look the verses up and post them if you'd like, Phipps. If it's not derailing your train of thought.

phipps

Star
I heard an interesting interpretation of that verse. The idea is that Babylon, though in ruins, has consistently remained inhabited by a scant few. There are animals there. There are pieces of some of the structures still in tact that they are currently renovating and rebuilding. So the prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet. This theory claims that Babylon will be rebuilt, where it stands now, and this is the Babylon that will be destroyed completely. The argument is that this verse along with two others (I'd have to go back and look them up) I believe one was in Jeremiah and the other Revelation.. but the idea is that Holy Spirit is emphatic that nothing will be left. Not one person, animal, not even one wall. I felt the argument was very compelling. I'll look the verses up and post them if you'd like, Phipps. If it's not derailing your train of thought.
Isaiah's prophecy about Babylon never being inhabited was given 300 years before the king of Persia destroyed Babylon. So the prophecy is of that time. When God talks about a place not being inhabited, He's talking about people not animals. Also the book of Revelation uses symbolic language and is not talking about literal Babylon. Literal Babylon ended as you know ended a long time ago. Other empires/kingdoms came after it fell like Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome. So the book of Revelation is talking about the religion of Babylon which is sadly still with us today and is based on human teachings, established on human ideas, and supported by human traditions.

I'm going to post more on Babylon now.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Who is End-‐Time Babylon?

In Revelation 14:6-13, the Bible tells us about three mighty angels that have three very important messages for the people living in the last days. The Second angel mentions Babylon in its message saying, “Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication” (Revelation 14:8).

In order to understand this message, it is essential that we identify end-‐time Babylon. Numerous verses in the book of Revelation warn against Babylon, and admonish God’s people to come out of Babylon. How can those wishing to align themselves with God come out of Babylon if they don’t know what it is? The message in Revelation 14:8 is repeated more forcefully in Revelation 18:2 and reveals the spiritual decay of this system, "And he cried mightily with a strong voice saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird."

The unclean and hateful birds are a reference to a counterfeit Holy Spirit that would power the system, leading people to believe that they are working with the power of God. Revelation 18:4 holds an even stronger admonition, "Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues."

God would not warn His people to come out of Babylon if it were impossible for them to identify Babylon. During the early Christian centuries, Jewish and Christian literature referred to the city of Rome as Babylon. 1 Peter 5:13 also refers to Rome as Babylon. Peter wrote these words while in Rome, at a time when literal Babylon no longer existed, "The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son."

Surprisingly enough, even Roman Catholics acknowledge this association, "Babylon,” from which Peter addresses his first Epistle, is understood by learned annotators, Protestant and Catholic, to refer to Rome the word Babylon being symbolic of the corruption then prevailing in the city of the Caesars." James Cardinal Gibbons, Faith of Our Fathers (111th printing, Illinois: TAN Books Inc., 1980): 87.

Floridafoot

Established
Isaiah's prophecy about Babylon never being inhabited was given 300 years before the king of Persia destroyed Babylon. So the prophecy is of that time. When God talks about a place not being inhabited, He's talking about people not animals. Also the book of Revelation uses symbolic language and is not talking about literal Babylon. Literal Babylon ended as you know a long time ago. Other empires/kingdoms came after it fell like Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome. So the book of Revelation is talking about the religion of Babylon which is sadly still with us today and is based on human teachings, established on human ideas, and supported by human traditions.

I'm going to post more on Babylon now.
By scant few I did mean people. But maybe that's a better discussion for another thread.. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts about the subject. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Woman of Revelation 17.

Revelation 17 gives us a glimpse of what Babylon will be like. Using prophetic language, it describes a woman who rejects God with her whole being, "And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH" (Revelation 17:4 5).

The woman that rides the Beast in Revelation 17 has all the identifying features of Rome. In fact, Rome applies the very symbolism employed in this chapter to herself. Remember that the name “Babylon” refers to papal Rome and its allies.

In the Bible, a woman represents a church, "I have likened the daughter of Zion to a comely and delicate woman" (Jeremiah 6:2).

Isaiah the prophet extends the symbol of a woman to that of a bride. The pure bride represents the pure Church, "For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee" (Isaiah 62:5).

Hosea describes the union of God and His people, "And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies" (Hosea 2:19).

The same symbolism is employed in the New Testament, "...for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:2).

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish" (Ephesians 5:25-27).

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready" (Revelation 19:7).

This beautiful picture of Christ and His Bride, the Church, is marred by the image of a church, “With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication(Revelation 17:2).

The Roman Catholic Church is the only church on Earth that fulfils these identifiers of the woman called Babylon in Revelation 17.

phipps

Star
The Mother.

Babylon is described in Revelation 17:5 as the “mother of harlots,” which refers to apostate religious systems or churches. If the Church is the chaste woman faithful to her husband, then Babylon is the opposite: that system of worship that is unfaithful to God, has a mystery religion, and teaches and practices abominations.

The harlot daughters must then represent those churches that follow her false teachings and subject themselves to her rule or, even worse, officially accept Rome’s leadership as authoritative.

Rome claims to be the mother of all the churches. At the entrance of St. John Lateran Cathedral in Rome there is a huge Latin inscription Sacrosancta Lateranensis ecclesia omnium urbis et orbis ecclesiarum mater et caput, which translated into English reads, “Sacred Lateran Church. Church mother and head of all the churches of the city and the world.”

The Catechism of the Catholic Church calls the Church, “Mother and Teacher”Article 3, Catechism of the Catholic Church. The "Dominus Iesus" faith declaration says, “It must be always clear that the one, holy, catholic and apostolic universal church is not the sister, but the mother of all the churches.” “Dominus Iesus” (August 6, 2000).

phipps

Star
The Great City.

The word Vatican is derived from the words vatis, which means “diviner,” and can, which means “serpent.” Vatican City and St. Peter’s Basilica were built on the ancient pagan site called in Latin vaticanus mons, which means “hill of prophecy.”

Coins minted in Vatican City often bear the inscription CITTÁ DEL VATICANO, which means “City of Prophecy.” The Church of Rome thus applies the title of “City” to its structure. The full title of the Vatican State is Stato Delle Cittá Del Vaticano, which is the combination of church and state.

There is also a woman on the reverse side of the coin, and at her feet is her title, FIDES, which means faith. This woman is symbolic of the Roman Catholic Church, which claims power over all governments on Earth.

"And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth" (Revelation 17:18).

Rome claims to control all governments on Earth. The Jesuit oath says this, "...by the virtue of the keys binding and loosing, given to his Holiness by my Saviour, Jesus Christ, he has power to depose heretical kings, princes, states, commonwealths and governments, all being illegal without his sacred confirmation, and they may be safely destroyed." www.thenazareneway.com/society_of_jesus_jesuits.htm.

The description of the woman of Revelation 17 fits all the aspects of Rome. We are told in Revelation 17:1 that she “sits on many waters.” These waters represent the nations of the world, "And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are
peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues" (Revelation 17:15).

The fallen Church, represented by the woman, must therefore be a universal Church. The word "catholic" actually means "universal." The Roman Catholic Church claims to be the universal or worldwide Church and, as we have seen, she claims to have authority over all nations.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Chalice.

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and
precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication" (Revelation 17:4).

The woman with the golden chalice in her hand is a common symbol in Roman Catholic sculptures and paintings. No other Christian denomination has depicted itself in this manner. According to Revelation 17, the cup is full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication, which represent false doctrine that she has made all the nations drink.

"And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication" (Revelation 14:8).

The Protestant reformers exposed these misguided doctrines during the Reformation, but sadly, the Protestant churches of today are willing to set aside their doctrinal differences with Rome in order to achieve Christian unity. However, unity achieved through sacrificing truth will not last.

Following is a list of the main doctrines challenged by the reformers and reconfirmed by Rome during the Council of Trent:

1. Transubstantiation

2. Justification by faith and works

3. The medieval mass

4. The seven sacraments

5. Celibacy

6. Purgatory

7. Indulgences

8. Papal authority to enforce the decrees of the Council, and promised obedience to the Pope from church officials. Paul Johnson, History of Christianity (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1979): 410.

The veneration of Mary has also been upheld and, in fact, increased.

Transubstantiation is the claim that Jesus’ physical body is offered every time the mass is held:

"Marvellous dignity of the priests, in their hands as in the womb of the blessed virgin Mary the Son of God becomes incarnate. Behold, the power of the priest! The tongue of the priest makes God from a morsel of bread, it is more than creating the world." Eucharist Meditations: 111.

"Canon 1: If anyone denies that in the sacrament of the most Holy Eucharist are contained truly, really and substantially the body and blood together with soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ and consequently the whole Christ, but says that He is in it only as in a sign, or a figure or force, let him be anathema." Council of Trent, session 13, Chapter VIII.

The Bible, however, clearly says, “For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified” (Hebrews 10:14).

phipps

Star
False teachings contained in Babylon’s wine that make people spiritually drunk and confused within Protestantism.

“Babylon the great is fallen”
(Revelation 18:2). “... and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit. ... By your sorcery all the nations were deceived” (Revelation 18:2, 23). “The inhabitants of the earth were made drunk” from the wine of abomination and fornication found in her cup (Revelation 17:2, 4; 18:3). “The kings of the earth have committed fornication with her” (Revelation 18:3).

Amazingly, some of the most prominent doctrines of Protestantism today are not found in the Bible at all. They have been brought into the Protestant churches by the Mother Church of Rome, who received them from paganism. A few of these false teachings (her wine or teachings is her false doctrine) are that:

The law of God has been amended or repealed. God’s law can never be changed or repealed (Luke 16:17).

The soul is immortal. The Bible mentions "soul" and "spirit" nearly 1,000 times. Not once is either referred to as immortal. People are mortal (Job 4:17), and none receives immortality until Jesus’ second advent (1 Corinthians 15:51-54).

Sinners burn eternally in hell. The Bible teaches that sinners will be consumed (put out of existence), both soul and body, in the fire (Matthew 10:28). An eternal hell of torment is not taught in the Bible.

Baptism by immersion is not necessary. Baptism by immersion is the only baptism recognized by Scripture.

Sunday is God’s holy day. The Bible teaches, without question, that God’s holy day is the seventh-day Sabbath—Saturday.

There are other teachings within Protestantism that are not biblical such as dispensationalist teaching that some of that above doctrines are part of.

Note: These false teachings, once believed, tend to bring “confusion” (which is what the term “Babylon” literally means) and make understanding Scripture much more difficult.

A Sobering Thought.
It’s sobering to think that some might unknowingly be drinking Babylon’s wine.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The Colours and the Riches.

"I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication"
(Revelation 17:4-5).

Catholic cardinals frequently wear scarlet. Catholic priests wear red on Good Friday, Palm Sunday, Pentecost, and other special occasions. They wear purple on Advent, Lent, and at funerals. On some of those days, other colours are also worn, including white, green, black, rose, and gold.

Riches are lavished on the icons of Catholicism. Gold, pearls, and precious stones deck the statues of Mary and the saints in the Vatican.
The rebuilding of St. Peter’s Basilica in the 16th century involved the genius skill of Michelangelo, Bernini, Raphael, and the other great artists
of the day. The riches and treasures lavished on the stately buildings of the Roman Catholic Church are beyond description.

The official clothing worn by the Pope on special occasions is richer in gold and jewellery than any earthly crown. The papal tiara on display in the Vatican Museum is valuable beyond comprehension.

1686047002096.png

The papal tiara, or triple-crown, is the Papacy's reminder that the Pope's power is threefold, according to the Vatican website:

"The Supreme Pontiff's arms have featured a "tiara" since ancient times. At the beginning this was a sort of closed "tocque". In 1130 a crown was added, symbol of the Church's sovereignty over the States."

"Boniface VIII, in 1301, added a second crown, at the time of the confrontation with Philip the Fair, King of France, to show that his spiritual authority was superior to any civic authority."

"It was Benedict XII in 1342 who added a third crown to symbolize the Pope's moral authority over all secular monarchs, and reaffirmed the possession of Avignon."

Money and Power in the Vatican.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
Drunk.

"I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement"
(Revelation 17:6).

She is truly “drunk with the blood of the saints.” History records the deeds of the papacy as it used the state to persecute and kill millions of faithful Christians during the Dark Ages. The Catholic Church has disguised herself with humble apologies for these actions, but she has not changed. The same spirit of persecution will again be exhibited against God’s faithful children who will not drink the wine of her corruption just before the second coming of Christ.

Seven horns and ten heads.

"But the angel said to me, “Why did you marvel? I will tell you the mystery of the woman and of the beast that carries her, which has the seven heads and the ten horns. ... “Here is the mind which has wisdom: The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits"
(Revelation 17:7, 9).

There is more than one interpretation for this text. Literally speaking, Rome is known as the city of seven hills. The Vatican sits on one side of the Tiber River, facing the seven hills.

In ancient times, hills were sacred high places, used to worship and offer sacrifices to deities. The systems of worship were based on salvation by works, and also included a counterfeit saviour or Messiah and mediators of both sexes. The gods that were worshipped in these places were manifestations of the sun god who was androgenic in that he/she could manifest himself/herself in the male or the female form.

One further reason why the end-‐time religious confederacy, under the leadership of the Papacy, is called “Babylon” is that the Babylonian system of worship has been passed down through history. Its rituals and doctrines are present in Catholicism, as well as religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, earth religions, and even Islam.

"There are also seven kings. Five have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come. And when he comes, he must continue a short time" (Revelation 17:10).

These heads are the same as the ones on the dragon of Revelation 12 and the beast of Revelation 13. They represent the great world empires which Satan uses to persecute God’s people. Five of these powers which have been noted in the books of Daniel and Revelation are Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, Pagan Rome and Papal Rome. At the end of time, the power of Papal Rome is greater than ever, her deadly wound is healed and she again strongly persecutes God’s people as in former years. The revived papacy unites with apostate Protestants and spiritists to form a religious-political entity that is supported by the governments of the world.

“The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast. These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast. These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful. And the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire. " (Revelation 17:12-14, 16).

The “ten horns” are the nations of Europe and all the earth (it is not wise to be dogmatic on unfulfilled prophecy when God has not made the matter crystal clear) that rally under the banner of Rome (Daniel 7:7, 24; Revelation 16:14). They are also called “The waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues.” (verse 15) and “They that dwell on the earth…whose names were not written in the book of life” (See Revelation 13:8).

These nations give the end-time church-state alliance, which is Babylon the great, all of their strength to make war against Jesus, the Lamb, and His people who keep God’s commandments and have the faith of Jesus.

The nations of the world will support Babylon’s enforcement of the mark of the beast. They will enforce her decree, and those who disobey will not be allowed to buy or sell. Ultimately, they support legislation calling for the death of God’s people (Revelation 12:17; 13:11-18; 14:12). However, when Jesus delivers His faithful followers (Revelation 19:11-20) the multitudes who have supported the great whore finally realize that they have been deceived and that they are eternally lost.

Enraged, they will turn upon their religious leaders (verse 16). Thus, by God’s will, the punishment of the harlot of Babylon is carried out in part by her own allies.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The whore riding a beast.

"And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns"
(Revelation 17:3).

God pictures Babylon as a whore riding upon a beast with seven heads and ten horns. As previously mentioned above, a pure woman represents God's church. A corrupt woman represents a fallen church (Jeremiah 3:1-8, 20; 13:27; Ezekiel 16:26-27; 23:2-21; Isaiah 50:1; Hosea 2:2-5; Revelation 14:4).

The beast the whore rides, is the same beast in Revelation 13:1-10. Both beasts have seven heads, ten horns and deal with worship and blasphemy. The beast of Revelation 13 was identified as the papacy in my thread of the mark of the beast. Chapter 17 that I am posting on here portrays the same beast but in a different setting. The religious aspect of Rome is more dominant here.

In Revelation 13:1-10, Jesus portrays the papacy as a combination of church and state. In Revelation chapter 17, Jesus depicts the church (the harlot) and state (the beast) as separate entities, though related. The woman is astride the beast, which signifies that the church is in control of the state.

Last edited:

phipps

Star
The other powers that unite with the papacy to fulfil end-time events.

“I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty”
(Revelation 16:13-14).

The dragon of Revelation 12:3-4 and the false prophet of Revelation 13:11-14 and 19:20 form an alliance with the beast of Revelation 13:1-8, or the papacy.

- The dragon of Revelation 12 represents Satan working through pagan Rome. In these last days the unholy partnership includes non-Christian religions such as Islam, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism, the New Age, secular humanism, etc.

- The false prophet represents apostate Protestantism centred in the United States, which will take the lead in urging worldwide worship of the beast.

- The beast is the papacy.

- These three powers: non-Christian religions and governments, apostate Protestantism, and Roman Catholicism will become allies in Armageddon—the final war against God, His law, and His loyal followers. This coalition is called “Babylon the great” by Jesus in Revelation 18:2.

phipps

Star
How will organizations with such diverse backgrounds effectively unite?

“These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast” (Revelation 17:13).

Revelation 16:13-14 says “unclean spirits like frogs,” which are “spirits of demons,” will unite them through the miracles they will work. Spiritism—the belief that the dead are alive and can contact the living—will be the tenet that welds all together. Satan and his angels—posing as the spirits of dead loved ones, prophets of old, angels of heaven (2 Corinthians 11:13-14), and even Christ Himself (Matthew 24:24)—will convince the world that their cause is guided from heaven. Incidentally, all three entities believe that the dead are alive:

Catholicism prays to Mary and other dead saints and believes these saints bless their followers with miracles.

Non-Christian religions are overwhelmingly based on belief in and worship of spirits of the dead. The New Age stresses “channeling”—supposed talking to the spirits of the dead.

Apostate Protestantism believes that the dead are not dead but, rather, alive in heaven or hell. Thus they are susceptible to deception by demons who pose as spirits of the dead.

phipps

Star
For what sins does God indict Babylon?

“Babylon the great is fallen” (Revelation 18:2).

“... and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit. ... By your sorcery all the nations were deceived” (Revelation 18:2, 23).

“The inhabitants of the earth were made drunk” from the wine of abomination and fornication found in her cup (Revelation 17:2, 4; 18:3).

“The kings of the earth have committed fornication with her” (Revelation 18:3).

To fall means to turn away from Bible truth and the worship of the true God (2 Peter 3:17-18). Thus, God is indicting Babylon for:

- conferring with devils by inviting evil spirits into its midst through spiritism.

- deceiving virtually the entire world through lying, demonic spirits. Lies are an abomination in the Bible (Proverbs 12:22). Babylon’s wine, which contains false teachings, disorients and benumbs those who drink it and makes them spiritually drunk.

In contrast, the church is the bride of Christ (Revelation 19:7-8) and loves Him and is loyal to Him only—which Jesus said means keeping His commandments (John 14:15).

Therefore, the papacy is censured here for turning away from her husband, Jesus (James 4:4) and for forming illicit relationships with civil governments (union of church and state) for her support. In addition, Babylon traffics in the “souls of men” (Revelation 18:11-13); thus, God denounces Babylon for treating people as merchandise rather than as precious children of God.

phipps

Star
Who will be on the Lord’s side in the battle of Armageddon?

In this final battle, the angels of heaven (Hebrews 1:13-14; Matthew 13:41-42) and God’s people—the remnant (Revelation 12:17)—will be allied with Jesus, who leads the armies of heaven (Revelation 19:11-16) against Satan and his supporters. God’s remnant is composed of those who refuse the falsehoods of Babylon. They are known for their love of Jesus, their loyalty to and faith in Him and their obedience to His Word and commandments (Revelation 12:17; John 8:31-32).

What will be Satan’s strategy in this final conflict between God’s truth and Satan’s lies?

Though Satan hates God and His Son, he and his demons will pose as holy angels and as devoted Christian clergymen (2 Corinthians 11:13-15). What he presents as evidence for his side will seem so righteous, spiritual, and Jesus-like that nearly everybody on earth will be deceived and follow him (Matthew 24:24). He will doubtless use the Bible, as he did when tempting Jesus in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11). Satan’s logic is so persuasive that it deceived one third of the angels of heaven, Adam and Eve, and, at the time of the Flood, everybody on earth except eight people.

What is God’s counter-strategy?

“To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them” (Isaiah 8:20).

God always counters Satan’s lies with truth. When tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Jesus repeatedly quoted Scripture (Matthew 4:1-11). Through His remnant people, God will tell the truth about the unbiblical nature of Babylon the great. He will make it clear that Babylon is presenting a false gospel (Galatians 1:8-12), which has opened the door for billions to be deceived and lost. God’s counter-movement is outlined in the great three angels’ messages of Revelation 14:6-14. These three fantastic messages expose and warn against Satan’s lies and counterfeits and call people to worship God and obey Him, not only in spirit but in Bible truth as well.

phipps

Star
Will God’s end-time messages of warning and hope be effective?

“After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory” (Revelation 18:1).

In Scripture, angels represent messengers or messages (Hebrews 1:13-14). God’s end-time appeal is symbolized by a mighty angel whose power is so great that the entire world is lightened with God’s truth and glory. This final, God-given message will go to the inhabitants of the entire world (Revelation 14:6; Mark 16:15; Matthew 24:14).

What final, urgent appeal will Jesus make to those who are in Babylon?

He will say, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities” (Revelation 18:4-5).

Please notice that Jesus refers to many people in Babylon as “my people.” There are millions of sincere Christians in Babylon who have not yet heard this warning message. These people love the Lord supremely, and Jesus says they are His children.

How will people who love Jesus but who are now in Babylon respond when they hear His appeal to come out?

Jesus says, “Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. ... My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me” (John 10:16, 27). Jesus recognizes His children who are in Babylon. Further, He promises to call them out of Babylon before it is destroyed. And, most glorious of all, Jesus promises that His people who are yet in Babylon will hear and recognize His voice and come out to safety.

phipps

Star
Shouldn’t I remain in Babylon and try to reform her instead of coming out?

No. Jesus says Babylon is going to be destroyed, not reformed. She will become hopelessly drunk with her wine (identified as false doctrine in Revelation 18:2-6). It is for this reason that He calls His people out (Revelation 18:4).

Does the warning about the fall of Babylon imply that Babylon has not always been fallen?

Yes. Many of the churches comprising Babylon have stood strong, tall, and loyal to Jesus in the past. The founders were flawed but devoted people of God who were searching the Bible diligently to discover all of its truth. Not all churches are fallen today. However, any church that teaches mother Babylon’s false doctrines and follows her practices could become one of her fallen daughters.

When called out of Babylon, where should a Christian go?

Find the people who keep God’s commandments, have the faith of Jesus, and are preaching the three angels’ messages worldwide, and join them (Revelation 14:6-12).