Avoid The Hooks

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
This site has attracted many viewers due to the diligent and informative articles published by the owner. Somewhere along the line it's comment section began to falter and we now have thread after thread of pure bait topics. When the bait doesn't work the usual characters invade already productive discussions and are becoming increasingly successful and aggressive at derailing the dialog with trolling and bait tactics. I have only been posting a short while here, but Im already getting burned out by the same posters continuously assaulting fellow well meaning posters communication here.

I admit I have been responsible for controversial topics and comments. However think its pretty clear that I am coming from the heart and sincere in what I am posting and I think the posters who are cut from the same cloth (regardless if we hold similar or opposite positions) recognize the difference between what we do as opposed to those who simply provoke. Im just beginning to question how effective the forums sections is and wondering how to deal with posters whom have proven intent on sabotaging honest conversation, especially when they are proven wrong over and over again. "Just ignore it" isnt realistic for me when the site members Im referring to will seemingly stoop to increasingly lower and lower methods in order to disrupt the cohesion of communication.

Perhaps this is just venting, but I am wondering for those who are TRULY interested in utilizing this site to better understand our world as well as share information of our own while learning from other posters, how do we deal with the parties here whom by their own action on the VC forums clearly show they are not interested in productive actions here?

DesertRose

Superstar
Perhaps this is just venting, but I am wondering for those who are TRULY interested in utilizing this site to better understand our world as well as share information of our own while learning from other posters, how do we deal with the parties here whom by their own action on the VC forums clearly show they are not interested in productive actions here?
Good question.
I think by now it is apparent which members are sometimes posting bait threads and disrupting discussions
They think we are unaware:)
Their efforts are wasted because most fair people with time wake up to what's going on.
They can keep trying their worst we will do our best to check them, God willing.

TruthSucker

Established
As a good "truther" (I hate this word, sounds like conspiracy theorist) you will always question everything. That's how I keep it.

I already named it in another thread: I don't know what this whole internet presence is actually made for but to me it's too professional to be an honest conspiracy website. The articles are written too professional and are way too extensive and detailed for just written by one person.
The whole page is made too good to be from just one person alone.

So I think this is just a tool for monitoring a scene.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
As a good "truther" (I hate this word, sounds like conspiracy theorist) you will always question everything. That's how I keep it.

I already named it in another thread: I don't know what this whole internet presence is actually made for but to me it's too professional to be an honest conspiracy website. The articles are written too professional and are way too extensive and detailed for just written by one person.

You posit an interesting point of consideration. I think its likely the work of one individual or him and a few part-time friends, mainly due to the fact that, as you mentioned, the articles are well written...... yet they are posted in a sparse, almost erratic fashion. As if the person behind the site is an intelligent individual who treats this more as an important hobby as opposed to a full time job. Also doesn't seem as they would be making much money off it and seem to eschew credit and publicity for themself(ves). Maybe Im way off, but it seems like there would be more content if it were an actual distraction site, but you have certainly raised an interesting point to consider........

rainerann

Star
This website is a very simple design and is probably either using the preexisting code for a forum site or something like it. Anyone can download the same package like PhpBB and create a forum. They would just have to pay for hosting and a couple of other things that would be considered basic level web development. All of the stuff like direct messaging, alerts, etc. is premade for building a forum website in a package like PhpBB, and then you would just need to customize it by enabling features and changing colors. I have a very basic understanding of web development, but I'm sure that if I spent a couple weekends focused on setting up my own domain and forum, I could have one up and running by the end of the month.

Then, there is just a blog page, which is an even easier web design than the forum because there is no store, there is no inventory to find that changes. You just have to create the layout for how you want your text view to be displayed and choose colors and font sizes and all of that. All of which could take someone with no experience in web development six months learning how to create a website on the weekend, and they could have a site like this with a blog and forum up and running.

The blog articles are slightly more researched than most of the stuff we post on the forum, but that is standard blog form. It is not a research journal. Blogs are meant to be casual. So it could very easily be done by one person, but if it were being operated by two or three people, this would still be a small scale production at most.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
This website is a very simple design and is probably either using the preexisting code for a forum site or something like it. Anyone can download the same package like PhpBB and create a forum. They would just have to pay for hosting and a couple of other things that would be considered basic level web development. All of the stuff like direct messaging, alerts, etc. is premade for building a forum website in a package like PhpBB, and then you would just need to customize it by enabling features and changing colors. I have a very basic understanding of web development, but I'm sure that if I spent a couple weekends focused on setting up my own domain and forum, I could have one up and running by the end of the month.

Then, there is just a blog page, which is an even easier web design than the forum because there is no store, there is no inventory to find that changes. You just have to create the layout for how you want your text view to be displayed and choose colors and font sizes and all of that. All of which could take someone with no experience in web development six months learning how to create a website on the weekend, and they could have a site like this with a blog and forum up and running.

The blog articles are slightly more researched than most of the stuff we post on the forum, but that is standard blog form. It is not a research journal. Blogs are meant to be casual. So it could very easily be done by one person, but if it were being operated by two or three people, this would still be a small scale production at most.
Excellent points Rainerann

Karlysymon

Superstar

I disagree because there several sites out there, that I visit, just like this one and they have one person behind them and the work is just as, or above and beyond good. If you've been this site's visitor for the last 8+ years, you'll have noticed that he credits the articles he hasn't written (which aren't many) to those who wrote them. Also, in the past, there'd be one article or two in a week. Which would make sense, that someone with a full-time job wouldn't be churning out an article a day. Sometimes, it was annoying to check the site, and there wasn't a new piece posted :). If you are well-read and can carve out a good chunk of your time to do something like this, is it not possible? But the fact is, everyone in this business has been accused of being some sort of operative but the body of work usually gives that away.

Last edited:

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
I am wondering for those who are TRULY interested in utilizing this site to better understand our world as well as share information of our own while learning from other posters, how do we deal with the parties here whom by their own action on the VC forums clearly show they are not interested in productive actions here?

Seriously though, this call upon the 'True Peoples' of VC forums to deal with those condemned others who disagree with you too excessively is somewhat ironic, particularly as an effort to reduce trolling and bad form.

You're not exactly an angel where posting etiquette is concerned, Tempest.

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
I disagree because there several sites out there, that I visit, just like this one and they have one person behind them and the work is just as, or above and beyond good. If you've been this site's visitor for the last 8+ years, you'll have noticed that he credits the articles he hasn't written (which aren't many) to those who wrote them. Also, in the past, there'd be one article or two in a week. Which would make sense, that someone with a full-time job wouldn't be churning out an article a day. Sometimes, it was annoying to check the site, and there wasn't a new piece posted :). If you are well-read and can carve out a good chunk of your time to do something like this, is it not possible? But the fact is, everyone in this business has been accused of being some sort of operative but the body of work usually gives that away.
"If you've been this site's visitor for the last 8+ years, you'll have noticed that he credits the articles he hasn't written (which aren't many) to those who wrote them."
Hadn't considered that..... its a strong point!

TempestOfTempo

Superstar

Seriously though, this call upon the 'True Peoples' of VC forums to deal with those condemned others who disagree with you too excessively is somewhat ironic, particularly as an effort to reduce trolling and bad form.

You're not exactly an angel where posting etiquette is concerned, Tempest.
I agree. I have not always displayed the best of my character on here. But weather its me or someone who takes essentially polar opposite stances, I think its clear who on here is posting from a place of wanting things to get better through dialog, shared knowledge and even debate..... and those who are mainly here to derail that dialog. But you are correct, and to you in specific and anyone else in general I owe it to, you have my apologies for any time I have stepped out of line. People dont deserve to have to come here and deal with my, or anyone elses bad behavior.

Mr.Grieves

Veteran
I agree. I have not always displayed the best of my character on here. But weather its me or someone who takes essentially polar opposite stances, I think its clear who on here is posting from a place of wanting things to get better through dialog, shared knowledge and even debate..... and those who are mainly here to derail that dialog. But you are correct, and to you in specific and anyone else in general I owe it to, you have my apologies for any time I have stepped out of line. People dont deserve to have to come here and deal with my, or anyone elses bad behavior.
It's all good.

TruthSucker

Established
@rainerann
You may be right, I can imagine you are. It's always the problem with us conspiracy theorists: even the conspiracy is a conspiracy :D
I just wrote down what I thought, probably I'm wrong, maybe not. And I wasn't talking about the forum, I kind of know how that works. Code - Template - done.

I'm just wondering again and again where VC got his (her?) diverse knowledge from. It's big and seems to be profound. Nothing impossible of course.
Like I said: I am a very critical person. Give me some undeniable evidence and I'm with you.
Second: the internet is an unsafe place. You can be who you want and say what others wanna hear. I stay critical.