Austria Ban On Burqa Difficult To Enforce

makeorbreak

Established
Austria recently banned burqas in public but it is proving to be a law that will be extremely difficult to enforce, especially when they seem to be trying to be politically correct at the same time. They don't seem to want to single out the Muslim community but how do you not do that when you are banning burqas? In a story today, they asked a man wearing a shark suit as a promotion outside a McShark electronics store to remove his costume head or face a fine.

I get it. They don't want to make it look like they're targeting Muslims with this law but how can they possibly think they can enforce it this way? If someone protects their face from a sandstorm with a bandana, they broke the law. If someone places a book over their face at the beach, they broke the law. Halloween's just around the corner and that raises the question of how many children or adults will break the law by wearing a Halloween mask. Motorcycle helmets with face masks will be pulled over routinely. You get the picture.

Either you want to stop the wearing of burqas or not. If you can't do that without stepping on everyone else's rights or do it by reasonable means, then don't try to enforce a ridiculous law or even pass it in the first place.

mecca

Superstar
Why does the government get to tell people what to wear? If a woman chooses for herself to wear a burqa that should be her choice and the government shouldn't be able to come in and arrest her or fine her for it.

rainerann

Star
Why does the government get to tell people what to wear? If a woman chooses for herself to wear a burqa that should be her choice and the government shouldn't be able to come in and arrest her or fine her for it.
The burqa actually represents something very similar in function to the government getting to tell people what to wear. In the west, people have the freedom to try on different aspects of religions, so some people apparently think it is fun to try the burqa route. In other countries, the burqa is required for women to wear in the same way that many places are trying to make it illegal in the west.

So making something illegal that represents something that is actually required to wear in other places, is a complex subject that people are trying to navigate because the reason for making it illegal is so that it doesn't become required the way it is in other places.

Therefore, I support the effort that is made because I would never want such a thing to become enforced as a being required to wear the way it is in other countries.

The difficulties they are having in enforcing it is ridiculous. It is not the same as advertising in front of a store as a shark. It is a law to prevent the burqa from being required for women to wear period. A burqa is a distinct outfit. To ban a burqa is to ban a particular outfit because it represents something that is required for women to wear that removes the freedom of choice that women presently have in the west.

Austria has every right to retain its culture by doing this and preventing the burqa from becoming required. The burqa is a cultural outfit in some places where the greatest female oppression exists like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. To ban the burqa is to oppose the treatment women are given in places where the burqa is required. Therefore, it really doesn't have anything to do with supporting or not supporting Islam and should be easy to enforce as a result.

mecca

Superstar
Therefore, I support the effort that is made because I would never want such a thing to become enforced as a being required to wear the way it is in other countries.
But there are many people who choose to wear it and aren't forced to. They will be forced not to wear it under this law and that's not fair. People should have a right to wear the clothing that they want.

mecca

Superstar
To ban the burqa is to oppose the treatment women are given in places where the burqa is required.
It doesn't help women, it is literally making it illegal for a woman to wear a form of clothing. Opposing sexism should not equate to the government forcing women to follow certain dress codes.

Banning head coverings does not get rid of sexism.

Last edited:

mecca

Superstar
Why is it OK for Muslim countries to require women to wear the burka but its not OK to secular or Christians countries to ban it?
Neither are okay. It is wrong to force any human to wear or not wear any clothing item.

It's wrong for sexist men to force women to cover up and it is wrong for well meaning men to create laws that force women to be unable to wear a clothing item that they want to wear.

Last edited:

rainerann

Star
Why is it OK for Muslim countries to require women to wear the burka but its not OK to secular or Christians countries to ban it?
That is exactly what I think and you have such a concise way of explaining it.

makeorbreak

Established
If the Austrian government is trying to free the women being forced to wear a burqa by their husbands within the country, this is not the way to do it. If the woman wants to wear the burqa, that is discriminating against her. If she is being forced to wear it by a family member, a law is not going to, and should not, change the mind of that family member. It is their religious belief and religious freedom gives them the right to practice their religion. If the government is trying to change the practice of wearing the burqa in other countries where its acceptable, its not going to accomplish that. The other countries don't care what Austria thinks of their religious practices.

What a government says all depends upon the government at the time. If a new government dictated (no pun intended) that no one was allowed to wear a cross, would that be ok? The point is that the police who busted the man with the shark head went too far and tried to interpret a law so they didn't alienate one group. Perhaps, its time for the government to re-examine their law and ensure they communicate to everyone the reason they instituted the law in the first place and what they exactly hoped to achieve.

And now it seems Bavaria and Germany are full in support of this discriminatory law, so it might not be that long before burqa wearers will face the same battle. This is not an issue that will go away any time soon.

Last edited:

manama

Star
Because its not OK for muslim countries to require women to wear burka? Because women in those countries (and men) are fighting against the stupid laws of their country? Come up with better reasoning. West is supposed to be "educated and modern" and whatever fancy bs people add but it seems like the east is starting to progress while west is getting dumber by each passing day. Don't even bother using "secular christian countries" as an excuse. There is nothing "Christian" about any of those countries and even if there was I don't remember anywhere in Christianity defending that, heck doing so would be looked down upon by Christianity since Christianity believes in the "live and let live and turning the other cheek" principle. And lets make this clear once you start banning clothing from other cultures, you are pretty much killing your own secularity.

manama

Star
The burqa actually represents something very similar in function to the government getting to tell people what to wear. In the west, people have the freedom to try on different aspects of religions, so some people apparently think it is fun to try the burqa route. In other countries, the burqa is required for women to wear in the same way that many places are trying to make it illegal in the west.

So making something illegal that represents something that is actually required to wear in other places, is a complex subject that people are trying to navigate because the reason for making it illegal is so that it doesn't become required the way it is in other places.

The difficulties they are having in enforcing it is ridiculous. It is not the same as advertising in front of a store as a shark. It is a law to prevent the burqa from being required for women to wear period. A burqa is a distinct outfit. To ban a burqa is to ban a particular outfit because it represents something that is required for women to wear that removes the freedom of choice that women presently have in the west.

Austria has every right to retain its culture by doing this and preventing the burqa from becoming required. The burqa is a cultural outfit in some places where the greatest female oppression exists like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan. To ban the burqa is to oppose the treatment women are given in places where the burqa is required. Therefore, it really doesn't have anything to do with supporting or not supporting Islam and should be easy to enforce as a result.
So women in the west deserve to have their rights taken away to wear a certain outfit because of what YOU think that outfit is supposed to mean? wow

moxmh

Rookie
BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T CHOOSE. NO 11 YEAR OLD GIRL IN A BURKA MADE THAT DECISION HERSELF.

manama

Star
BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T CHOOSE. NO 11 YEAR OLD GIRL IN A BURKA MADE THAT DECISION HERSELF.
11 year old girls don't even wear burka. The burka is only mandatory in SOME places for late teens and above. I grew up in KSA and never even covered my hair and openly wore skirts and shorts. If kids do wear one its just a one time thing, parents and kids doing it for the lols just like how kids would find their parents' clothes and wear it. Know your facts before you go all caps lock and make yourself look bad.

moxmh

Rookie
11 year old girls don't even wear burka. The burka is only mandatory in SOME places for late teens and above. I grew up in KSA and never even covered my hair and openly wore skirts and shorts. If kids do wear one its just a one time thing, parents and kids doing it for the lols just like how kids would find their parents' clothes and wear it. Know your facts before you go all caps lock and make yourself look bad.
hold up, I live in England, which is OVERRUN with muslims. entire areas in a city are NO GO ZONES. FACT. I SEE CHILDREN IN BURKAS ALL THE TIME. FACT. all I have to do is take ONE BUS and I am in an area controlled by muslims. WOMEN AND CHILDREN WEAR BURKAS. what is KSA? don't even care. try looking and listening to other people's experiences.

DesertRose

Superstar
hold up, I live in England, which is OVERRUN with muslims. entire areas in a city are NO GO ZONES. FACT. I SEE CHILDREN IN BURKAS ALL THE TIME. FACT. all I have to do is take ONE BUS and I am in an area controlled by muslims. WOMEN AND CHILDREN WEAR BURKAS. what is KSA? don't even care. try looking and listening to other people's experiences.
LOL @Haich sis you gotta check this out......
moxmh kids do not need to wear the hijab forget about the burka.:)

makeorbreak

Established
Aren't we putting ourselves in their place when we say they're wrong in making women wear burqas? Isn't that the same thing when we say you cannot wear a burqa? We're dictating what a woman can or cannot wear and that's the very thing we're railing against.