Junk

JoChris

Superstar
Obviously as a Christian I think it is another opposing religion. I.e. people who actually follow it properly and make personal decisions for career paths and relationships accordingly.

As an ex-psychology believer (only psychology students would have studied it more than I chose to informally) I think it is deliberate vagueness leading to self-fullfilling prophecy.
This type (found in women's magazines and daily newspapers) is pathetic. "You are going to have an interesting day but make sure that you seek to avoid conflict with other people".

I am Leo. Apparently I married very badly (husband is border of Gemini/Cancer). I am anything but "extroverted, loving limelight, assertive". No leadership ability whatsoever. Totally disorganized and hate getting attention. Very careful with money and don't like taking risks. Etc etc etc.

Sunshine

Established
Most people have no idea what astrology is actually about. The zodiac is a Cosmic Calendar. I emphasize with capital letter not to be all "new-agey," but because this method of timekeeping is way older than any written historical records, and it can be used to describe the different eras of human progress.

For example, in the story of the Exodus, the Jews painted their doors with lamb's blood to avoid a visit from the plague. This symbolizes that the story occurred at the beginning of the Age of Aries (ram.) When the Israelites were at the foot of the mountain, waiting for Moses' return, they grew impatient, and made and worshiped a Golden Calf. This was incorrect, not just because it was a distraction from the One True God, but also because it was a throw-back to the practices of the previous age, the Age of Taurus. (The cycles we are dealing with here flow in reverse from the more familiar monthly astrology Houses.) Each of these Ages last 2,160 solar years, and one cycle of all twelve totals 25, 960 years, the time it takes for the poles of planet Earth to shift in one precession.

There are larger and smaller cycles of time built within the system, but they always use the same symbols in the same order, either clockwise or counterclockwise, like the hours on a clock face. So, if you look at an ancient building or artifact, and see a bull, there's a good chance it was built during the Age of Taurus, between 4,500 b.c. and 300 b.c. (give or take a couple of decades) It's why Yeshua/Jesus was all about bread and fishes. He was born a Virgo (symbol:a maiden holding a chaff of wheat, usually w/5 grains upon the stalk) at the beginning of Pisces (symbol: the two fishes). Not only was this beginning that of a new Age of 2160 years, it was also a transition from the end of one Great Cycle (ended w/Aries) to an entirely new phase of human/Terran existence.

Our age, Aquarius, is an air sign, not a water sign. That is why we are immersed in and constantly creating energy technology, be it radio waves, lasers, EM, etc. There's a few websites and books that can explain all this better than I can. I first learned about this stuff in "Initiation"by Elisabeth Haich. It's a tough read, but she discusses the ages, symbols and their zeitgeists in great detail, along with sacred geometry and levels of consciousness.

Just know that there IS meaning to the zodiac and birth signs. Each symbol represents the particular "flavor" of energy we on planet Earth are receiving from the universe at any given time. And I have a sneaking suspicion that if we could calculate a cycle long/big enough, it would make up a map to our galaxy, and denote our location in space/time.

JoChris

Superstar
What is ex-psychology believer? I have never heard this...... what does it entail in your case?
That was a half-snide remark directed at me. :)
I went through quite a long period of believing a mix of self-help pop psychology, neuropsychiatry and later psychoanalytic theories. It led to near complete unbelief in Christianity.
Some psychology and psychiatry theories are neutral and work well alongside Christianity and other faiths. Others are not.

Etagloc

Superstar
That was a half-snide remark directed at me. :)
I went through quite a long period of believing a mix of self-help pop psychology, neuropsychiatry and later psychoanalytic theories. It led to near complete unbelief in Christianity.
Some psychology and psychiatry theories are neutral and work well alongside Christianity and other faiths. Others are not.
Psychology is evil. I would advise people to stay away from the mental health industry..... those people will make you sicker. If they actually healed you they'd be out of a job. It's in their interest to make you dependent on them. I say be paranoid and suspicious of those people and don't trust them.

JoChris

Superstar
Psychology is evil. I would advise people to stay away from the mental health industry..... those people will make you sicker. If they actually healed you they'd be out of a job. It's in their interest to make you dependent on them. I say be paranoid and suspicious of those people and don't trust them.
I can understand both sides because I nursed mental health patients at a local nursing home (most had dementia), and I saw what was done for long-term psychiatric patients during my full training. There is genuine mental illness that needs to be treated. That said, once a person is given the diagnosis they are seen by mental health professionals as e.g. "bipolar" and all they say is interpreted through that lense.

I think psychology can help with mental disorders e.g. stressful circumstances that led to irrational thinking and phobias. However it can't treat the cause of many people's problems - the thing that Christians call sin. A disease of the spirit is very different to a disease of the mind. Modern psychology tries to do both and therefore often fails.

I used to ignore gematria completely till I saw that those in power seemingly use it alot in regards to everything. I mean what are the chances of these words having the same numerical value?

MUHAMMAD = 444
JESUS = 444
LUCIFER = 444
MESSIAH = 444
ENGLISH = 444
OCCULT = 444
MASONIC = 444
JEWISH = 444
TAROT = 444
CROSS = 444
MENORAH = 444
GEMATRIA = 444
GOSPEL = 444

I only say this to connect it to astrology in that, maybe we're being told something is bad, when its there to help us? You can even connect the story of Jesus and the bible (12 disciples, 12 tribes, 12 zodiac signs) to astrology in some ways. Im not really making a position one way or the other, just something to think about.

Etagloc

Superstar
I used to ignore gematria completely till I saw that those in power seemingly use it alot in regards to everything. I mean what are the chances of these words having the same numerical value?

MUHAMMAD = 444
JESUS = 444
LUCIFER = 444
MESSIAH = 444
ENGLISH = 444
OCCULT = 444
MASONIC = 444
JEWISH = 444
TAROT = 444
CROSS = 444
MENORAH = 444
GEMATRIA = 444
GOSPEL = 444

I only say this to connect it to astrology in that, maybe we're being told something is bad, when its there to help us? You can even connect the story of Jesus and the bible (12 disciples, 12 tribes, 12 zodiac signs) to astrology in some ways. Im not really making a position one way or the other, just something to think about.
How do you get 444 out of those words?

How does Gospel equal 444, for example?

How do you get 444 out of those words?

How does Gospel equal 444, for example?
The link that the PD posted above shows how to do it by hand. Theres also the website gematrix where you can type in a word and they show you the number of the word. The words coming out to 444 but reducing to 74 was my understanding but my point was that I was always told/led to the belief that numerology was divination which the bible says we should not do. Yet if one actually looks into it, they can see how soo many occurrences line up with it. Im not saying that we should be following it, but that those in power do. And theres reasons for those names breaking down to what they do maybe if we do not even understand the "reasons"...

Maybe astrology is the same (or maybe not)...

I don't fully understand astrology.
However before I do, i want to mention a few things in terms of the religious position.

1) i don't think astrology is forbidden outright in islam. visiting soothsayers who consult with jinns to foretell the future, is forbidden and a sign of kufr. however astrology is only meantto explain your mind/personality and possible type of life/weaknesses etc.
In one instance the Prophet SAW did say 'astrology is sorcery'..but the prophet SAW also said 'eloquence is a form of sorcery'. What does that mean? eloquence can literally influence a person's decisions ie you can speak to someone in a particular tone and win them over.
similarly astrology is knowing people's personality but say for example you were an employer who wanted to bring out the best in your employees..would you check their astrological signs if you could in order to know more about them? maybe tog et the best out of them or even to determine whether someone likes going it alone or works well in a team?

2) example, my sun sign is virgo but my moon sign is aquarius...and my moon sign is VERY accurate about me. It's also very accurate for my sister's moon sign and my brother's moon sign...but not so much on my other sisters moon signs..some are very accurate others not. But it also depends on the particular interpretation doesn't it?
my moon sign says i like going it alone, this is true, it says im into metaphysics..this is true too.
it's not just true its very true.

my sister's moon sign says she loves to be outdoors and free, this is verry true. in fact its one of the major things weve always talked about with regards to her ie literally from the first time we took her out when she was young, she wanted to be outdoors. She's always travelling abroad and visiting new towns, the moment she got her car we were like 'and she's off'.

3) however i have also looked into the house readings and those are a mixed bag, i dont fully understand it yet. some of them are contradicting others.
i did a sneaky thing and read it about someone else who i know is a certain way..and his house reading was completely flipping off.
so i wasnt sure what to make of it. maybe there's a lot i missed out on i didnt get.

4) However, majoorrr point...
all astrological signs deal with our lower malakut ie the lower mind, our psychology. However in islam, the higher malakut connects with iman and can literally OWN, transform our entire lower malakut if we know how. So really people who fail to see the role iman plays > astrology and common psychology are weak in faith and do not know how faith works.
I find astrology quite interesting to know, but i don't live and die by it. I know that many things happen in my life, come from the higher self that astrology cannot predict.

oh also
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/astrological-signs-are-almost-all-wrong-as-movement-of-moon-and-sun-throws-out-zodiac-10127356.html

manama

Star
I don't fully understand astrology.
However before I do, i want to mention a few things in terms of the religious position.

1) i don't think astrology is forbidden outright in islam. visiting soothsayers who consult with jinns to foretell the future, is forbidden and a sign of kufr. however astrology is only meantto explain your mind/personality and possible type of life/weaknesses etc.
In one instance the Prophet SAW did say 'astrology is sorcery'..but the prophet SAW also said 'eloquence is a form of sorcery'. What does that mean? eloquence can literally influence a person's decisions ie you can speak to someone in a particular tone and win them over.
similarly astrology is knowing people's personality but say for example you were an employer who wanted to bring out the best in your employees..would you check their astrological signs if you could in order to know more about them? maybe tog et the best out of them or even to determine whether someone likes going it alone or works well in a team?

2) example, my sun sign is virgo but my moon sign is aquarius...and my moon sign is VERY accurate about me. It's also very accurate for my sister's moon sign and my brother's moon sign...but not so much on my other sisters moon signs..some are very accurate others not. But it also depends on the particular interpretation doesn't it?
my moon sign says i like going it alone, this is true, it says im into metaphysics..this is true too.
it's not just true its very true.

my sister's moon sign says she loves to be outdoors and free, this is verry true. in fact its one of the major things weve always talked about with regards to her ie literally from the first time we took her out when she was young, she wanted to be outdoors. She's always travelling abroad and visiting new towns, the moment she got her car we were like 'and she's off'.

3) however i have also looked into the house readings and those are a mixed bag, i dont fully understand it yet. some of them are contradicting others.
i did a sneaky thing and read it about someone else who i know is a certain way..and his house reading was completely flipping off.
so i wasnt sure what to make of it. maybe there's a lot i missed out on i didnt get.

4) However, majoorrr point...
all astrological signs deal with our lower malakut ie the lower mind, our psychology. However in islam, the higher malakut connects with iman and can literally OWN, transform our entire lower malakut if we know how. So really people who fail to see the role iman plays > astrology and common psychology are weak in faith and do not know how faith works.
I find astrology quite interesting to know, but i don't live and die by it. I know that many things happen in my life, come from the higher self that astrology cannot predict.

oh also
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/astrological-signs-are-almost-all-wrong-as-movement-of-moon-and-sun-throws-out-zodiac-10127356.html
Astrology is not hundred percent accurate and is falsehood BUT its falsehood with purpose, Astrology is forbidden because astrology no matter how "spiritual" you call it, plays a huge and necessary role in black magic. Your element is what the magick will strongly work on, e.g. someone with water. The magician will put the talisman etc in dirty water. For some with fire, the magician will burn the magic. To put it in simple terms, the element will trigger the magic. Similarly the weaker a person is and the more exposed he is to a certain disease, its used when doing magick to make the person sick.
Fortune telling is also strictly forbidden and going to seer as well since it includes the person taking it one step forward and talking to the satan with you. And so on.
We are all aware of the land and its people who were destroyed because of extreme use in work of the unseen
Bunch of hadith and verses about this issue

.‘Having intoxicants, worshiping anyone besides Allah (SWT), and fortune telling… these are Satan’s handiwork – Abstain from such handiwork, that ye may prosper’. - Surah maidah
============

"The daily prayers of whoever approaches a fortune-teller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights." [Muslim]

============
"Whoever approaches an oracle or fortune-teller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad."

=========

Zaynab, the wife of `Abdullah ibn Mas`ud, reported that `Abdullah ibn Mas`ud (may Allah be pleased with him) stated that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) saying: “Spells, amulets and love-charms are (forms of) shirk.” `Abdullah said, “Why do you say this? By Allah, when I was weeping eczema, I kept going to so and so, the Jew, who did a spell for me and made the thing calm down.” `Abdullah said: “That was just the work of Satan, who was picking it with his hand, and when (the Jew) uttered the spell, he stopped. All you needed to do was to say as the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to say: Adh-hib al-ba’s Rabb an-Nas ishfi anta ash-Shafi la shifa’a illa shifa’uka shifa’an la yughadiru saqaman (Remove the harm, O Lord of mankind, and heal, You are the Healer. There is no healing but Yours, a healing which leaves no disease behind.’” (Reported by Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah)

==================

Uqbah ibn `Amir Al-Juhani (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that a group came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) to pledge their allegiance (bay`ah) to him. He accepted the allegiance of nine of them but not of one of them. They said, “O Messenger of Allah, you accepted the allegiance of nine but not of this one.” He (the Prophet) said, “He is wearing an amulet.” The man put his hand (in his shirt) and took it off, then the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) accepted his allegiance. He (peace and blessings be upon him) then said, “Whoever wears an amulet has committed shirk.”

==================

Abu Dawud reported that `Isa ibn Hamzah said: “I entered upon ‘Abdullah ibn `Akim and his face was red due to high fever. I said, ‘Why don’t you wear an amulet?’ He said, ‘We seek refuge with Allah from that. Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) states: “Whoever wears anything (meaning an amulet) will be entrusted to its care…” (

=================

"Say (O Muhammad): I possess no power over benefit or hurt to myself except as Allah wills. If I had the knowledge of the ghayb, I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touch me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe."

================

Narrated by Abu Hurayrah

The Messenger of Allah (saws) said: Don't you know what your Lord said? Your Lord observed: I (Allah) have never endowed My bondsmen with a favor, but a section amongst them disbelieved it, and said: stars, it was due to the stars.

==================

"Allah Most High says, 'One of My servants reaches daybreak a believer, another an unbeliever. He who says, ' We have received rain by Allah's grace,' is a believer in Me and a disbeliever in the planets. But he who says, ' We have received rain by the effects of such and such a mansion of the moon, ' is an unbeliever in Me and a believer in the planets [ Shaykh Abdul Wakil Durubi's commentary: if he thinks they have a causal influence independent of the will of Allah]"

@manama okay before I go further, you should know that i'm not oblivious to the topic of black magic but probably have more experience/knowledge on it than most people. However ask yourself why Allah allows such things to take root amongst us? it isn't for no reason but it's a way to make us people turn back to what is important and to understand matters of the mind, metaphysics and through it to develop out iman.

Also you need to read my post again, more diligently. Esp my 4th point. Everything has a place and a context. Fact is whether you believe in it or not makes no difference given people will use knowledge of your astrological signs to find your psychological weaknesses and exploit them. So in effect for you to also have knowledge of astrology also means you could also know exactly what your weaknesses are and how they can be exploited and hence, resolve them,.

Furtune telling is not the same as astrology. Remember that. For a muslim to quote about fortune telling when the topic is on astrology clearly means he/she doesn't pay attention.
Also the latter hadith you quoted deal with the topic of amulets and OMENS. Again it is not related and actually irrelevant, N/A, pointless here.
I don't know any muslim who says 'it's raining because mercury is in alignment with taurus'.

Did you know, the zodiac is mentioned in the Quran?

(1) It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders;
(سورة الحجر, Al-Hijr, Chapter #15, Verse #16)

(2) By the sky, (displaying) the zodiacal Signs;
(سورة البروج, Al-Burooj, Chapter #85, Verse #1)

The zodiac has no meaning outside of astrology, why would the Quran mention the zodiac? why not just 'the stars'?

manama

Star
@manama okay before I go further, you should know that i'm not oblivious to the topic of black magic but probably have more experience/knowledge on it than most people. However ask yourself why Allah allows such things to take root amongst us? it isn't for no reason but it's a way to make us people turn back to what is important and to understand matters of the mind, metaphysics and through it to develop out iman.

Also you need to read my post again, more diligently. Esp my 4th point. Everything has a place and a context. Fact is whether you believe in it or not makes no difference given people will use knowledge of your astrological signs to find your psychological weaknesses and exploit them. So in effect for you to also have knowledge of astrology also means you could also know exactly what your weaknesses are and how they can be exploited and hence, resolve them,.

Furtune telling is not the same as astrology. Remember that. For a muslim to quote about fortune telling when the topic is on astrology clearly means he/she doesn't pay attention.
Also the latter hadith you quoted deal with the topic of amulets and OMENS. Again it is not related and actually irrelevant, N/A, pointless here.
I don't know any muslim who says 'it's raining because mercury is in alignment with taurus'.

Did you know, the zodiac is mentioned in the Quran?

(1) It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders;
(سورة الحجر, Al-Hijr, Chapter #15, Verse #16)

(2) By the sky, (displaying) the zodiacal Signs;
(سورة البروج, Al-Burooj, Chapter #85, Verse #1)

The zodiac has no meaning outside of astrology, why would the Quran mention the zodiac? why not just 'the stars'?
The actual arabic does infact say "stars", its been translated as zodiacal signs for idek what reasons but probably that it would make more sense to the readers, thats exactly why if you go to the literal translation it says

And We have placed within the heaven great stars and have beautified it for the observers.

By the sky containing great stars

Its also clear that the second verse does infact say stars because the name of the surah is Al-burooj which means "stars" or "heavenly stars"
;)

Zodiac or astrology is infact a form of fortune telling or horoscope, along with many others like chinese zodiac or tarot cards etc. They work in the same way there is nothing that separates zodiac from fortune telling. One is using stars to talk about your life or personality, the other is using cards or your hand. Allah has also allowed other things to take form around us but they are trials we are supposed to stay away from. not indulge in them.
The Quran always mentioned "stars" and not zodiac, if thats been translated as zodiac then it makes sense but otherwise the original script has always been "stars" and thats what zodiac is. And its something we must stay away from.

I personally just find it a fun way to know things about people in general.

However, i appreciated Aspiring soul's mention of the higher malakut being able to literally own the lower malakut or what i understand to be the way normally people are, because trends have shown that people born on such and such dates tend to be like such and such. God Is Ultimately The One Who Decides how a person's personality should be through and through. The stars may just be a cause thereof. God Is The Ultimate Cause of all causes, since He Is The Creator and Can Attach any effect to any cause He Wills. Astrology would mean study of the stars and i think it would be wrong to believe that any star has any inherent power to affect any thing in any way, thereby forgetting God.

But i agree that it surely is better to stay away from those things since they are doubtful most of the time.

Attachments

rainerann

Star
I think Zodiac signs just demonstrate that there are patterns visible in our personalities. These patterns may be determined by other factors, like the time of year you were born. Therefore, it would otherwise be interesting to me if it weren't always approached in this stereotypical way of like this gypsy women telling your future to you. I can't take stuff like that seriously and no one approaches the subject as a science for me to try to enjoy.

@manama the word nujoom means 'stars' the word burooj means constellation ie it does refer to the zodiac.

here's another example

(8) Then did he cast a glance at the stars.
(سورة الصافات, As-Saaffaat, Chapter #37, Verse #88)
88 Fanathara nathratan fee alnnujoomi