Assemblies of God

Cintra

Star
No, not myself.

Recently, an old person I know, has become involved with them.
They have recently been widowed, and before that the husband was very sharp about money and security.
The widow is now a bit vulnerable (to my mind.)

They are part of a local group of christians that met in a local hall. They have been part of that group for many years.

That group has now allied itself to an assembly of god group in the locality.
Now there is talk about 'meeting' on Zoom, and other internet stuff.

I just want to be reassured that these AoG people are not well known for ripping off pensioners, or tricking them out of their savings by selling necessary but overpriced books, or miracles or whatever.

Their particular doctrines are not important. I trust this person to know what they believe. But the idea of them, money and internet is very concerning.

Lisa

Superstar
No, not myself.

Recently, an old person I know, has become involved with them.
They have recently been widowed, and before that the husband was very sharp about money and security.
The widow is now a bit vulnerable (to my mind.)

They are part of a local group of christians that met in a local hall. They have been part of that group for many years.

That group has now allied itself to an assembly of god group in the locality.
Now there is talk about 'meeting' on Zoom, and other internet stuff.

I just want to be reassured that these AoG people are not well known for ripping off pensioners, or tricking them out of their savings by selling necessary but overpriced books, or miracles or whatever.

Their particular doctrines are not important. I trust this person to know what they believe. But the idea of them, money and internet is very concerning.
Sure, I can see how you would be concerned.

Todd

Star
AOG is a legitimate denomination and although you never know what a local congregation may do, there should be no more concern about fraud or manipulation with AOG versus any other mainstream denomination.

Cintra

Star
AOG is a legitimate denomination and although you never know what a local congregation may do, there should be no more concern about fraud or manipulation with AOG versus any other mainstream denomination.
Thank you!
That is just what I needed to know.

Lisa

Superstar
He's a Christian. You just don't think anyone but you is a true Christian.
I know you like him...that should be enough to know he’s not true...

Cintra, I know you haven't been on the boards long but Todd is a genuine poster and I would take his word on this.

Definitely over Lisa's!
You have a choice it seems cintra....

Lisa

Superstar
It's not a matter of liking him lol! I just know that he isn't argumentative for the sake of it, like you are.
Truth isn’t argumentative for the sake of it but because the truth matters.

Haich

Superstar
Truth isn’t argumentative for the sake of it but because the truth matters.
You've yet to have demonstrated anything you say as truth. It's always opinion veiled with conjecture.

Anyway, I'll stop polluting this thread. Nothing more to add.

Lisa

Superstar
You've yet to have demonstrated anything you say as truth. It's always opinion veiled with conjecture.

Anyway, I'll stop polluting this thread. Nothing more to add.
Anything anyone posts is opinion even if they have a link to something else..its just an opinion they agree with.

Cintra

Star
Thank you to you all. All your input has been appreciated.

It is not a matter of doctrine or belief.
This persons beliefs are their own business, and they have held them for longer than I have been alive. Not my place to tell them what to believe.

I just wanted to assure myself that this wasn't something dodgy.
They suggested she download Zoom so she could join meetings through the lockdown. She was happy to follow their suggestion, I was concerned that they might suggest more.

I had never heard of AoG. They might have been notorious for all I knew. So Todd's answer was just what I was looking for. Thank you.