Are You Physically Active?

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
Are you physically active?

Do you fall within the category of sado-masochist imposing variable amounts of stress upon thyself for the pursuit of physical perfection?

If you answered yes to these two queries - How do you do what you do? If you answered no - What reason would you have to not do so?

mecca

Superstar
Not really, but I've started skateboarding which counts as physical exercise... once I continue skating more I would count myself as a physically active person.

Aero

Superstar
I should be more active, but there is simply no reason to get "shredded". Overdoing it just puts your body through unnecessary wear and tear. The muscle will turn into fat, so it's a lifelong chore nobody can maintain forever.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
Not really, but I've started skateboarding which counts as physical exercise... once I continue skating more I would count myself as a physically active person.
Enjoy the endeavor.

@Aero
From a scientific perspective getting shredded is incredibly beneficial and maintainable.

The human body has set points so to say in that for example

An overweight male has maintained an above average body fat percentage. His struggle to a very low percentage will be long and arduous yet after reaching and maintain his goal for some time his body will adjust the below to manage and maintain his new body. As time progress he will generally handle old age and the subsequent drops in certain bodily functions far better than his contemporary potatoes.

Metabolism
Hormones
Absorption
Synthesis

To name a few. Also being shredded will cause a thermogenic effect in which the more muscle one has the more calories or in this case fat will be absorbed and burned to maintain the muscle. One should never view physical fitness as a chore as one would doing the dishes.

Aero

Superstar
Enjoy the endeavor.

@Aero
From a scientific perspective getting shredded is incredibly beneficial and maintainable.

The human body has set points so to say in that for example

An overweight male has maintained an above average body fat percentage. His struggle to a very low percentage will be long and arduous yet after reaching and maintain his goal for some time his body will adjust the below to manage and maintain his new body. As time progress he will generally handle old age and the subsequent drops in certain bodily functions far better than his contemporary potatoes.

Metabolism
Hormones
Absorption
Synthesis

To name a few. Also being shredded will cause a thermogenic effect in which the more muscle one has the more calories or in this case fat will be absorbed and burned to maintain the muscle. One should never view physical fitness as a chore as one would doing the dishes.
Yeah that's great and all, but the difference between healthy and "shredded" is minimal. I have like zero body fat already. The point I was making was 6 pack abs aren't necessary. Our clothes are on all the time, and chicks don't care if you are ripped.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
Yeah that's great and all, but the difference between healthy and "shredded" is minimal. I have like zero body fat already. The point I was making was 6 pack abs aren't necessary. Our clothes are on all the time, and chicks don't care if you are ripped.
I do agree that there is a point between health all the way to peak performance yet the higher one ascends whether for aesthetics or health the more riches they attain.

All this dependent upon one's definition of health.

Loki

Established
I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week, but these days I only go about 2-3 times a week. Nowadays I also go in the mornings rather than the evenings. I don't particularly enjoy working out anymore, I guess I burned out, so I found myself hating the fact that I would get off of work between 5:30-6 and then go to the gym and get home around 7:30, then have to walk the dogs and eat dinner, and by then I would have maybe 2 hours of leisure time before I needed to go to sleep. I had no time to enjoy any of my other hobbies it felt like, so since my fiancee gets up at 5:30 in the morning anyway, I try to get up with her Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and go to the gym for about an hour before work to get it out of the way. I really kind of hate getting up, but I enjoy not having to go after work. As it gets warmer out I'll probably start working out in the backyard after work a bit more. I've got kettlebells, dumbbells, and a battlerope that I use the most.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I used to go to the gym 4-5 times a week, but these days I only go about 2-3 times a week. Nowadays I also go in the mornings rather than the evenings. I don't particularly enjoy working out anymore, I guess I burned out, so I found myself hating the fact that I would get off of work between 5:30-6 and then go to the gym and get home around 7:30, then have to walk the dogs and eat dinner, and by then I would have maybe 2 hours of leisure time before I needed to go to sleep. I had no time to enjoy any of my other hobbies it felt like, so since my fiancee gets up at 5:30 in the morning anyway, I try to get up with her Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday and go to the gym for about an hour before work to get it out of the way. I really kind of hate getting up, but I enjoy not having to go after work. As it gets warmer out I'll probably start working out in the backyard after work a bit more. I've got kettlebells, dumbbells, and a battlerope that I use the most.
I lift 4x week and I have been contemplating Strongman for awhile.

Loki

Established
I lift 4x week and I have been contemplating Strongman for awhile.
That's impressive, good for you man. You a large guy naturally? I always wanted gains but never had the dietary discipline for it, plus I just have a more slender frame. Even at my most fit I was only able to get my weight to around 160 pounds and I'm roughly 5'11". These days I mostly just maintain for my health and wellness.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
That's impressive, good for you man. You a large guy naturally? I always wanted gains but never had the dietary discipline for it, plus I just have a more slender frame. Even at my most fit I was only able to get my weight to around 160 pounds and I'm roughly 5'11". These days I mostly just maintain for my health and wellness.
I would fall in the lightweight as I sit around 172 lean. Adding mass is as simple as looking at a cup cake for me.

Loki

Established
I would fall in the lightweight as I sit around 172 lean. Adding mass is as simple as looking at a cup cake for me.
I think I must have some sort of inhuman metabolism. Even when I stopped going to the gym almost completely and my only exercise was walking my dogs and walking around at work, and when I was home I would just smoke weed and eat junk food, I still couldn't put on weight. I actually lost weight, though, that was probably due to losing some muscle mass. So putting on weight by lifting for me was all pure muscle weight and it was very slow going.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I think I must have some sort of inhuman metabolism. Even when I stopped going to the gym almost completely and my only exercise was walking my dogs and walking around at work, and when I was home I would just smoke weed and eat junk food, I still couldn't put on weight. I actually lost weight, though, that was probably due to losing some muscle mass. So putting on weight by lifting for me was all pure muscle weight and it was very slow going.
There was a study done in which they took several 'hard gainers' and had them lift at various intensities ranging from once a week to six days a week.

They found that for the average individual four days was optimal but for the hard gainer five to six days elicited far more growth than traditional splits or three day routines.

You could quite possibly require six days to add serious mass yet keep in mind there is a genetic limit to the amount of muscle one can put on.

How is your wife by the way?

Loki

Established
There was a study done in which they took several 'hard gainers' and had them lift at various intensities ranging from once a week to six days a week.

They found that for the average individual four days was optimal but for the hard gainer five to six days elicited far more growth than traditional splits or three day routines.

You could quite possibly require six days to add serious mass yet keep in mind there is a genetic limit to the amount of muscle one can put on.

How is your wife by the way?
I can't say I ever got into the science of it, but I was more than a casual lifter for a while. I want to take up rock climbing some day soon (when I can afford it), because it seems to me that rock climbing plus running and some light lifting would be more than enough to have solid functional strength and wellness, which is the most important thing to me at this point in my life.

I'm not married yet, but she is doing well. She kickboxes about 4-5 times a week now, which she is loving.

Kung Fu

Superstar
I'm extremely active. Cannot take a day off. I always have to be doing something and I wouldn't have it any other way.

mecca

Superstar
I'm extremely active. Cannot take a day off. I always have to be doing something and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I wish I was like that, then it wouldn't be so hard for me to be healthy.

DisenfranchisedDespot

Established
I wish I was like that, then it wouldn't be so hard for me to be healthy.
I believe that once motivation is superseded by love that it becomes far easier to dedicate one's self to the pursuit of physical fitness.

Everyone wants motivation in the gym but motivation doesn't keep one there long term it ends up becoming the equivalent of your first shot of heroin in that you may never reclaim that first high of motivation. Eventually you find yourself doing curls day in and day out while looking like Chewbacca.

mecca

Superstar
I believe that once motivation is superseded by love that it becomes far easier to dedicate one's self to the pursuit of physical fitness.

Everyone wants motivation in the gym but motivation doesn't keep one there long term it ends up becoming the equivalent of your first shot of heroin in that you may never reclaim that first high of motivation. Eventually you find yourself doing curls day in and day out while looking like Chewbacca.
Well, I don't even have the motivation part so...

Kung Fu

Superstar
Skateboarding might be that thing for me.
Then don't stop hopping on your board and learning some of those awesome tricks.

I knew a guy back in the day who bought a skate-board and couldn't even stand on it without falling off. Fast forward about 6 months and he was doing tricks and skating like a pro.