Are Satan And Lucifer The Same Being?

llleopard

Established
Satan was a murderer from the beginning. (John 8v44) Lucifer was Son of the Morning (Isaiah 14v 12) Are those compatible, and how does 'the Devil' fit in? Are they all the same being with different names, and if so, how?
My daughter asked me what Satan's powers were in comparison to God, and I found that I had no coherant answer in my head or reasons to back up my thoughts. Consequently I told her I wasn't sure, but went with the 'Satan is Lucifer, a fallen angel and therefore has the powers of an angel, not a god' line.
I would appreciate answers from any religious or spiritual perspective, not necessarily just Christian :)

Yahda

Veteran
The serpent was in genesis.

Satan is an angel of the Lord.

Devil was never mentioned in the OT. The word mentioned was always devilS. Never once mentioned in singular form.

V 14:28, 14:19-22 gives you an idea as to who Isaiah 14:12 is referring to. This is someone cast into a tomb, with children, ancestors....the whole 9.

This whole devil slash Satan being ruler of the earth is a Christian misconception. These are many different characters jumbled into one thanks to Christianity.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I always thought Lucifer was before the fall, it was the name given to the angelic being, satan is what that being became in simplest terms.
I agree - the name Devil is used to refer to Satan's activities - the accuser.

Satan is not the only figure to have numerous names in the Bible, reflecting various attributes... Think "Son of Man", "Angel of the Lord", "Lion of the Tribe of Judah" etc

Yahda

Veteran
Which scriptures would you regard as admissable on this question?

Ijs. Seems like common sense to me. Stick to the scriptures, no guessing or assuming.

Is it true or false that Christians have wrapped the devil/lucifer/Satan/the falling one/bright morning star....all into one ?

When for one as I mentioned devil was never mentioned in singular form.

Two, Christian claim Satan is the ruler of the earth when in Job....long after the serpent in genesis, Satan was still answering to God.

Three, Jesus calls himself the bright morning star in revelations......

It's obvious that something is not right with Christianity interpretations.

Yahda

Veteran
FYI there are gods.

Micah 4:5 For all the people will walk. Each in the name of their gods/idols and we will walk in the name of the Lord our God forever and ever.

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
No they aren't the same being. That would be like saying the Ancient Egyptian god "Set" is also the devil from Christianity. Different religions equals different Gods.

Your religion might give you a lot of room to believe what you want. But Zeus is still Zeus. Even if there is a guy from the Bible just like him.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
No they aren't the same being. That would be like saying the Ancient Egyptian god "Set" is also the devil from Christianity. Different religions equals different Gods.

Your religion might give you a lot of room to believe what you want. But Zeus is still Zeus. Even if there is a guy from the Bible just like him.
You crack open an interesting question. Anyone interested in it ought to check out the following rabbit hole ;-)

The Great Inception: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdGiuAsSLdJU8ILvbx9HLaxk-aoRrTh2c

SpectralIX

Rookie

Definitely an interesting question. And just because I like to think outside the box, I'm now wondering why that would be. Did the Christian God only preside over the specific lands and persons whose experiences are recorded in the Bible? Does that same God not also preside over Egypt, Maya, Greece, etc etc? Seems like we're opening a huge can of worms with this discussion. It either indicates that the Christian God is not fully omnipotent and does not preside over all of creation (and is merely called by different names due to the differences in cultures, language, etc), or that it is cultures who create their own Gods through their interpretations of their spiritual experiences. Feels like a meaty topic :)

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Definitely an interesting question. And just because I like to think outside the box, I'm now wondering why that would be. Did the Christian God only preside over the specific lands and persons whose experiences are recorded in the Bible? Does that same God not also preside over Egypt, Maya, Greece, etc etc? Seems like we're opening a huge can of worms with this discussion. It either indicates that the Christian God is not fully omnipotent and does not preside over all of creation (and is merely called by different names due to the differences in cultures, language, etc), or that it is cultures who create their own Gods through their interpretations of their spiritual experiences. Feels like a meaty topic :)
You might find "The Great Inception" very interesting as well... by Derek Gilbert btw

Violette

Star
I've always just assumed Lucifer was the angel but after he was cast down he became Satan. Moloch, Baal, Saturn, Baphomet, Pan...it's the same thing over and over. Idk if all those guys are supposed to be Satan but they seem to have a lot of similarities

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Backing up a bit...

If Lucifer was a real spiritual being who fell and became "Satan", would he wish to stick to the name he was given in his fallen state, or would he be more likely to 'make like Madonna' and continually 're-invent' himself for different cultures and eras?

Just sayin'...