Are Satan And Lucifer The Same Being?

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
No, not really. How do you even know what they all want? Lucifer is just referring to a planet, not a being so it can't even want anything. And the serpent is simply just a serpent who advances the plot in the beginning of the story and teaches people a lesson. Satan is a separate being who serves as God's adversary.
Would it be fair to say that the identity we ascribe to this spiritual being(s) depend on which sources we regard as trustworthy?

Unknown Warrior

Established
No, not really. How do you even know what they all want? Lucifer is just referring to a planet, not a being so it can't even want anything. And the serpent is simply just a serpent who advances the plot in the beginning of the story and teaches people a lesson. Satan is a separate being who serves as God's adversary.
Are you saying that Isaiah was describing a planet that weakend the nation s and was cast out of heaven?

Aero

Superstar
Pretty sure I've already said this but, in the Bible, Lucifer is depicted in multiple fashions.

Isaiah appears to be referring to Satan. And Peter brings up the morning star in clear reference to God.

mecca

Superstar
Would it be fair to say that the identity we ascribe to this spiritual being(s) depend on which sources we regard as trustworthy?
Not really. These are the factual definitions that people used when the hebrew bible was written. Even by simply reading the bible you can see that there's no connection between lucifer, satan, or the snake. The book never says that they're the same beings or connects them in any way. Those ideas we added on later through tradition and changing interpretations and people believe it because that's just the way that people tell the story now... Many people just assume that the serpent is satan because that's what people say and that's the lens that they want to interpret the story through.

People in the past used to depict the serpent as Lilith... now people think it's Satan, but it's really just a serpent. The serpent is used as a symbol to convey a point and advance the story, it's not supposed to be the same being as Satan or Lilith. You could consider the snake "a satan" because it can be seen as an adversary of Adam, Eve, and God.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/bible-interpretation/how-the-serpent-became-satan/

Last edited:

TokiEl

Superstar
Revelation 20 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

Lucifer in Isaiah 14 is just the Latin translation of the Greek translation of the original Heylel in the Hebrew bible. And that's his name.

Heylel is the personal name of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
As lawyers are fond of saying...

"Put the case" that we are discussing a hyper intelligent, deceptive being whose primary motivation in envy and emulation of God. Being past redemption himself, he wants to rob as many people as he can of the chance of salvation through the means God has provided.

What might he do to attempt this deception?

If people even on this forum might come on it with multiple apparently unrelated identities in order to creat and perpetuate a narrative line to support their objectives, why do we imagine that Satan, infinitely more sophisticated and malevolent than the nastiest internet troll, might not do the same? Would he be likely to be cloddish and pedestrian in his intrigues or a more accomplished liar than that?

Paul seems to express this view in 2 Corinthians 11:-

13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

So - why is the occult so keen on dualism? Why all the black and white magic, the dark and light sides of the "force"? For those who know who the "Hero with a Thousand Faces" really is, the answer is obvious.

Aero

Superstar
I've answered that question before. Well, it's more accurate to say, I've debunked the trick question already.

If Satan is that powerful, then you don't know if you are being tricked either. The scripture says listen to no other interpretation except scripture. But the Bible contradicts itself. Now, this doesn't mean it's all crap. It means that it's impossible to take literally. I mean there isn't even a clear boundary of what the morning star is.

I personally don't care which blanks you all want to fill in. I don't think you are being tricked. However, some of you are clearly not abiding by the bibles own words. Moreover, I'm just wondering why it always turns into pointing the finger at cultists. The Occult didn't invent dualism. No great philosopher was imagining the contradictory nature that surrounds us. Plus there are plenty of schools of thought that make strong cases to debunk dualism.

We need water to survive, yet it can also kill us quickly. I'm not imagining it, and nobody planted it into my brain. As a philosophy, this is more sound than saying the devil is out there and basically going to get us all unless we do this one thing.

TokiEl

Superstar
As a philosophy, this is more sound than saying the devil is out there and basically going to get us all unless we do this one thing.
Luke 4 5Then the devil led Him up to a high place and showed Him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6“I will give You authority over all these kingdoms and all their glory,” he said. “For it has been relinquished to me, and I can give it to anyone I wish. 7So if You worship me, it will all be Yours.”

8But Jesus replied, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.’”

The Devil is in control of the world's governments except Israel where Jesus Christ is King although the Jews have no clue about that.

elsbet

Superstar
Lol but there's nothing that connects those two concepts. They're two separate names referring to two separate things. Lucifer is a word that was used to refer to the planet Venus. Satan is a word that means adversary. So Lucifer is a planet and Satan is God's adversary, they're not the same thing.
Satan is *our* adversary-- not God's.