Apparently, even Arthur needs a homosexual character

LaLaFond

Yeah, I saw this broadcast-ed on our local new station also. My son used to watch Arthur until I noticed some of the other disturbing "out of place" symbolism being shown within the cartoon. -TV OFF

mecca

Superstar
C'mon we all knew Mr. Ratburn was gay anyway.

Why do you have a problem with gay people or gay characters? Having a gay character should matter just as much as having straight characters... which is to say that it shouldn't matter at all, there's no problem and there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
C'mon we all knew Mr. Ratburn was gay anyway.

Why do you have a problem with gay people or gay characters? Having a gay character should matter just as much as having straight characters... which is to say that it shouldn't matter at all, there's no problem and there's nothing wrong with it.
The thought that Mr Ratburn was anything other than a teacher never entered my mind...guess I just don’t see someone and see their sexuality :rolleyes:

I have a problem when people try to indoctrinate kids at a young age to think like they do...homosexual/straight. When kids don’t care and shouldn’t care about those things. And, it is wrong to teach children to do wrong things and act like its ok and normal. When I was growing up it wasn’t normal and people knew it. But, because of homosexual’s being in tv and move’s for so long..its become so mainstream that people don’t realize that its wrong anymore. Hollywood is a massive force for normalizing anything.

And, yes, it all comes down to God says its wrong....which people also are getting away from Biblical morality, even Christians.

Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
Chicken and egg scenario. Which came first media showing homosexuals or the existence of homosexuals? I’m going with the later.

Media reflects culture/society. Not the other way around. If there isn’t a market for it they wouldn’t waste their money or time or risk their profits.

mecca

Superstar
The thought that Mr Ratburn was anything other than a teacher never entered my mind...guess I just don’t see someone and see their sexuality :rolleyes:
Lmao it was a joke.
I have a problem when people try to indoctrinate kids at a young age to think like they do...homosexual/straight. When kids don’t care and shouldn’t care about those things. And, it is wrong to teach children to do wrong things and act like its ok and normal. When I was growing up it wasn’t normal and people knew it. But, because of homosexual’s being in tv and move’s for so long..its become so mainstream that people don’t realize that its wrong anymore. Hollywood is a massive force for normalizing anything.
No one's indoctrinating anyone. Gay people exist and they sometimes marry people who they love... big whoop. That's simply reality. Straight people exist and sometimes get married, gay people exist and sometimes get married... children know this and it's not world shattering knowledge. I'm certain you didn't even watch the episode because they didn't teach anyone to do anything. The episode is not even centered around Mr. Ratburn being gay, they only find that out at the very end and it's pretty inconsequential. Gay people are not wrong, they didn't do anything to anyone and there are rarely gay characters in the media in the first place.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Lmao it was a joke.

No one's indoctrinating anyone. Gay people exist and they sometimes marry people who they love... big whoop. That's simply reality. Straight people exist and sometimes get married, gay people exist and sometimes get married... children know this and it's not world shattering knowledge. I'm certain you didn't even watch the episode because they didn't teach anyone to do anything. The episode is not even centered around Mr. Ratburn being gay, they only find that out at the very end and it's pretty inconsequential. Gay people are not wrong, they didn't do anything to anyone and there are rarely gay characters in the media in the first place.
We are on a forum..how was I supposed to know you were joking?

I disagree there are a lot of gay people on tv and in the movies. It’s the target audience that gets me and it being inconsequential...

mecca

Superstar
Media shapes culture and society and are very good at it.
So you seriously believe that gay people exist because there are now some gay characters on TV? Here's some news: there are more gay people in real life than the few gay characters that are on TV shows. Gay people existed before TV shows included them.

mecca

Superstar
For the people who didn't watch it, the episode's plot is basically this: Arthur and his classmates hear that Mr. Ratburn is getting married. They believe that he's marrying a woman named Patty but they don't like her because they think she's rude so they decide to try to break up their wedding (lol). They try many times but keep failing. When they finally get to the day of the wedding, they are surprised to realize that Mr. Ratburn is not marrying Patty... Patty is actually his sister. They finally find out who he's actually marrying when he walks down the aisle with an aardvark named Patrick. Patrick owns a chocolate store and Arthur and his classmates like him. The class is relieved that Mr. Ratburn is marrying someone nice and life goes on as normal. The episode ends with Mr. Ratburn humorously and awkwardly dancing on the dance floor. The wedding part of the episode only takes place within the last 30 seconds of the episode. Imagine being outraged at the brief mention of a single character being gay... as if gay people don't exist in the world. Imagine being outraged that Mr. Ratburn didn't marry his sister. Don't you think there are bigger problems in the world than an anthropomorphic rat marrying an aardvark in a cartoon? The actual moral of the episode has nothing to do with gay people in the first place.

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
So you seriously believe that gay people exist because there are now some gay characters on TV? Here's some news: there are more gay people in real life than the few gay characters that are on TV shows. Gay people existed before TV shows included them.
That’s not what I said. I said media shapes culture and society. No mention on whether or not homosexual’s existed before it started shaping the new norm or not.

Lisa

Superstar
For the people who didn't watch it, the episode's plot is basically this: Arthur and his classmates hear that Mr. Ratburn is getting married. They believe that he's marrying a woman named Patty but they don't like her because they think she's rude so they decide to try to break up their wedding (lol). They try many times but keep failing. When they finally get to the day of the wedding, they are surprised to realize that Mr. Ratburn is not marrying Patty... Patty is actually his sister. They finally find out who he's actually marrying when he walks down the aisle with an aardvark named Patrick who owns a chocolate store. The class is relieved that he's marrying someone nice and life goes on as normal. The episode ends with Mr. Ratburn humorously and awkwardly dancing on the dance floor. The wedding part of the episode only takes place within the last 30 seconds of the episode. Imagine being outraged at the brief mention of a single character being gay... as if gay people don't exist in the world. Imagine being outraged that Mr. Ratburn didn't marry his sister. Don't you think there are bigger problems in the world than an anthropomorphic rat marrying an aardvark in a cartoon?
Cartoons shape our kids especially if they are this type of cartoon where the characters act just like regular kids.

mecca

Superstar
That’s not what I said. I said media shapes culture and society. No mention on whether or not homosexual’s existed before it started shaping the new norm or not.
Lol "the new norm". Being gay is not seen as the norm in our society. Gay people still face discrimination. The majority of people are still straight. The majority of people will always be straight. Gay people are a minority and they always occur at smaller rates than straight people, that's how nature works. You seriously believe that the TV can make people gay? Reality doesn't work that way. There's nothing wrong with being a gay person and there should be able to be gay characters without people getting up in arms about it.

Lisa

Superstar
Lol "the new norm". Being gay is not seen as the norm in our society. Gay people still face discrimination. The majority of people are still straight. The majority of people will always be straight. Gay people are a minority and they always occur at smaller rates than straight people, that's how nature works. You seriously believe that the TV can make people gay? Reality doesn't work that way. There's nothing wrong with being a gay person and there should be able to be gay characters without people getting up in arms about it.
No, but I believe that the media can make it acceptable in society and has been working that angle for quite some time, mostly with adults. Now they’ve moved into children’s cartoons apparently.

Since you are a muslim...do muslims believe that being gay is ok? I guess you must since you said it’s ok, but is that what islam teaches?