Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Ain't sayin'

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No but I'm keeping a list of preppers in my neighborhood

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Karlysymon

Superstar
Panic Buying Grips America Ahead Of World War III: “Never Seen It At These Levels… We Can Barely Keep Up” Says Leading Preparedness Distributor
http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/panic-buying-grips-america-ahead-of-world-war-iii-never-seen-it-at-these-levels-we-can-barely-keep-up-says-leading-preparedness-distributor_08112017
[/FONT]
Well, that's funny, because back in december
....sales of emergency food and supplies have been crashing since Donald Trump’s surprise election victory. Firms that help
people relocate outside of the United States have seen business really dry up, and I know of one high profile individual that has actually decided to move back to the country after Trump’s victory. It
is almost as if the apocalypse has been canceled and the future history of the U.S. has
been rewritten with a much happier ending.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/it-is-like-a-nuclear-bomb-went-off-in-the-prepping-community

bbsion

Established
Considering the nature of this website, I'm a little baffled there aren't more preppers here. Or at least back when the poll was more active. I think food and water storage are crucial.

justjess

Superstar
I’m in the process of debating and starting myself... been going back and forth on it for a couple years. Finally have some extra space.

I am pretty shocked for the same reasons

Aero

Superstar
Apocalypse prep has gone beyond theory. Just look at the electricity crisis happening in Venezuela.

Five days of zero power for most of the country. We see looting, panic and mass chaos. Plus we see a complete lack of emergency planning. And I'm not just talking about from the corrupt government. Massive amounts of people didn't plan or prepare for any of this. So the real question is, how long until people stop being so civil?

justjess

Superstar
My guess? 4 days, maybe 3 especially if there is no known relief in sight or any idea when it may come. The first three days they hold out hope, last that they are too hungry or thirsty to hope

Karlysymon

Superstar
Considering the nature of this website, I'm a little baffled there aren't more preppers here. Or at least back when the poll was more active. I think food and water storage are crucial.
I think a knowledge of natural medicines/remedies is very important aswell. One should be able to treat oneself without having to rush to a pharmacy.

Books, as a substitute for the internet/power issues.
So the real question is, how long until people stop being so civil?
“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.” ~Alfred Henry Lewis

Civilisation's veneer may be much thinner than we like to think.

bbsion

Established
I think a knowledge of natural medicines/remedies is very important as well. One should be able to treat oneself without having to rush to a pharmacy.

Books, as a substitute for the internet/power issues.
I do agree. There are many technical "crucial" aspects of prepping I suppose. I just view food and water as the top. :)

Personally, I don't even like going to the pharmacy now. I prefer homeopathic and other remedies. I never go to the doctor or the pharmacy and I seem to be doing pretty fine. I think too many people rely to heavily on pharmacy and doctors.

Aero

Superstar
“There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.” ~Alfred Henry Lewis
Maybe. I think the 9 meals theory might be giving mankind more credit than we deserve.

I say that because we have anarchy and chaos every day. It's called politics. So if there's any sort of real crisis in America it's going to be the same clusterfuck as Venezuela. The 2 main opposing sides will just sit around and blame each other. In that sense, our suffering is reduced to political ammunition.

My plan is to have my own garden or something. You know? Have like a big garden, raise some chickens and have some low tech power and water purifying.

bbsion

Established
Maybe. I think the 9 meals theory might be giving mankind more credit than we deserve.

I say that because we have anarchy and chaos every day. It's called politics. So if there's any sort of real crisis in America it's going to be the same clusterfuck as Venezuela. The 2 main opposing sides will just sit around and blame each other. In that sense, our suffering is reduced to political ammunition.

My plan is to have my own garden or something. You know? Have like a big garden, raise some chickens and have some low tech power and water purifying.
I started gardening 2 years ago. There is a lot to learn year after year. If you have not started, I suggest you start something this year so you can learn a lot of do's and don'ts by failing and what not. It's not as easy as some might think. Some plants need to be harvested at the right time and in the right way. Some need to be planted at different times. Depending on where you garden, some plants grow better in certain areas and next to certain plants. And then there is weeding.... you will always be weeding... freaking weeds. But it's worth it.

Also, I use this to purify my water storage: ionoxygen.com.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I do agree. There are many technical "crucial" aspects of prepping I suppose. I just view food and water as the top. :)

Personally, I don't even like going to the pharmacy now. I prefer homeopathic and other remedies. I never go to the doctor or the pharmacy and I seem to be doing pretty fine. I think too many people rely to heavily on pharmacy and doctors.
I agree. A familiarization with and trust in homeopathy/natural remedies is crucial. Neither have I popped a pill or been to the doctor’s in almost a decade. I stay away from synthetics, with drug-recalls and the opioid epidemic, you simply don’t know what you are swallowing.
I say that because we have anarchy and chaos every day. It's called politics. So if there's any sort of real crisis in America it's going to be the same clusterfuck as Venezuela.
Iam starting to think that this Venezuelan blackout is a sort of dry run (for other parts of the world) , a "genius" way to quickly bring everyone to their breaking point because they are now having water issues as a result, so if you don’t have your own water source, it doesn’t look good. I imagine those in the countryside are faring better.

Last edited:

Aero

Superstar
Iam starting to think that this Venezuelan blackout is a sort of dry run (for other parts of the world) to bring everyone to their breaking point because they are now having water issues as a result, so if you don’t have your own water source, it doesn’t look good. Imagine those in the countryside are faring better.
Yep time to start digging our own wells.

Pretty sure I've talked about this before. But I was talking about the food industry. Specifically how there is such a small section of infrastructure that serves MASSIVE amounts of people. However the same is probably true with how we get our water. So either way when these small sections experience a disaster we are screwed.

What I describe is a serious vulnerability to us all. It just seems pretty clear the developed world wasn't using foresight when they planned anything out. Our road systems are trash. The food industry literally serves trash. Healthcare?? It's total trash.

bbsion

Established
I admire those who find comfort in making efforts and believing in them.

but?... lets consider the fact that 150 million others are making the same efforts.

it is important to consider that when the shit really happens?... whatever your beliefs are?

...are you gonna cut down all those other desperate people who have just discovered their own reality?

do you understand the panic and multiply that by several hundred million.

if you have children?... then my heart goes right out to and for you.

lets hope you have people like me nearby... to protect you and them
Don't take this the wrong way but I am not sure I quite follow you. In an apocalyptic scenario, I want to keep my integrity and share with those in need. However, I will make them pull the weeds. :)

I don't live in a large populated areas because of several reasons, one being that I would not trust a vast majority of the people in a crisis. Also, I have no patience for stop lights.

justjess

Superstar
First major prep: moving the hell out of nyc. I don’t think there was anything even remotely as important I could have done tbh. I now live in the absolute middle of nowhere - far enough away from any known city/population hub I don’t even have to worry about refugees. If climate change is real I am at the top of a mountain and the worst I’m going to have to worry about is a blizzard.

Second was convincing my husband. Now on to the rest.

I day dream about my own acres with a well and septic system, a garden and some chickens lol. If nothing ever happens it’s still not a bad way to live. If it does my kids should be ok.

This Venezuela thing is crazy and a refresher wake up call. At the same time I can’t help to think soo many different things going so cataclysmicly wrong at the same time has to be engineered, I don’t believe in coincidences. But if it were to happen here it would also be engineered so important to watch and learn imo.

Karlysymon

Superstar
True. It could just be an unfortunate event or an engineered one...who knows?
Apparently, the Venezuelan operation was expected to last 24hrs but it has dragged on for a month and Maduro is still at the helm, so it s more than likely engineered to break him and everyone in the process.

Its also, possibly, a nice opportunity for US authorities to gauge societal breakdown in a grid-down scenario and how to "force the hand" of many by compromising the water system. There's a thread on here about a DARPA(?) grid-down drill.

Predictive programming? I liked the tv show anyway.

Aero

Superstar
Lol, I hope some of that futuristic technology comes true. Sure they can already implant computers in peoples eyeballs. But to get something like that you have to be deep Illuminati.

Maybe I'm thinking of a "black mirror" episode. Either way, it's probably still real. The episode I'm thinking of was super twisted and loaded with Illuminati symbolism. So go watch that episode "Man against fire" if you think you can take it. But you should know, it even gave me nightmares.

It wasn't about the apocalypse per se. I don't remember it all, but it was more about the apocalypse of a species. Or rather the eradication of weak bloodlines.

Dalit

Star
What's the best first step for someone who has just enough to make it and not much extra?

The gardening stuff sounds great, but what do you do about natural pests without toxic chemical pesticides?

My yard has been free of RoundUp (used a small bit of it 5 years ago and have always regretted that lapse in good judgment) for at least 5 years now. So it can be planted. That being said, an old friend of mine planted a vegetable garden and worked it, really worked it, yet not much fruit resulted from it. Her cabbages were eaten up by worms or other pests. I would hate to put all my spare time into something and maybe get a few zucchinis from it, even though the zucchini was good. And the one strawberry from the strawberry plant was good.

So what's the best first step for people like me?

I do have a small stockpile of canned goods and water, enough to get through a long weekend probably.

Thanks.