Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Ain't sayin'

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • No but I'm keeping a list of preppers in my neighborhood

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

cajun

Established
I'm a small-scale Christian prepper. What I mean is, I'm not really into the idea that guns & concrete bunkers are so important but I am into the idea that as things go on, we need to be able to survive off-grid and without going shopping for extended periods of time.

As a Christian I'm already feeling the challenge to my moral integrity whenever I am out there shopping, even just for basic necessities. So there are lots of reasons for prepping because everyone has to think about what to do when there is civil unrest or a power-outage drill even if they are not Christian.

So, that being said, wanna talk about it?

cajun

Established
Ok, while neither confirming nor denying that anybody is doing anything, what do you think of those bins full of dried meals that are being sold as something like a month's worth of food for four people? Compared to storing up a selection of nonperishables?

Tatilina

Star
Learn to live off of the land, learn how to build a shelter, learn what herbs, berries, plants and flowers are poisonous and which ones you can eat and use. Find out their herbal and medicinal purposes. Learn how to cultivate the land. Learn how to find natural resources.

Aero

Superstar
Lol I haven't prepped at all. If it happened tomorrow my strategy would be to grab a gun and be like sorry. Someone else's stuff is about to be mine. It sounds messed up, but a lot of people are going to be in similar position.

That's why you might need more than a "Minority Report" style plant fence. You are probably going to need snipers on the roof at least.

Lurker

Star
Lol I haven't prepped at all. If it happened tomorrow my strategy would be to grab a gun and be like sorry. Someone else's stuff is about to be mine. It sounds messed up, but a lot of people are going to be in similar position.

That's why you might need more than a "Minority Report" style plant fence. You are probably going to need snipers on the roof at least.
That scenario has been discussed ad nauseam. You won't get much more than 45 holes. Or you're just taking from granny.

Paranoia Daily

Veteran

Yeah they call them Zombies.....In a Post Apocalyptic world those are people who have nothing and go after others stuff.....No they are not dead people coming back like is thought.

cajun

Established
Learn to live off of the land, learn how to build a shelter, learn what herbs, berries, plants and flowers are poisonous and which ones you can eat and use. Find out their herbal and medicinal purposes. Learn how to cultivate the land. Learn how to find natural resources.
I would say also learn what your own metabolism will do in a crisis. Many people actually don't know what genuine hunger feels like because they have never gone on a long-term fast. The result is they mistake our daily craving for lunch or a snack for hunger. One of the biggest problems some people will facevis the panic they may feel when they face the threat of real hunger. This can result in anxiety-binging on stored foods and if even one member of a sheltering group does that, social cohesion can quickly collapse.

Fasting is therefore a good idea. You can survive weeks without food if you have water, but you can't survive panic. Practice one-day fasts and even an occasional 3-day fast to train your body to remain calm and to learn what your mental state will be like. For example, what kinds of crazy food-dreams you will have! And learn if you will become irritable or apathetic under such conditions.

Then develop strategies to cope wiith what you find out will be your most likely breaking points.

cajun

Established

That's why I added the fourth option to the poll. ;)

Aero

Superstar
Well it wouldn't be smart to rob the people who are prepared, but that's the point. People wont be thinking rationally. Where I would look for soft targets like stuff that is already abandoned. And maybe find someone who needs a gun and trade for some food

cajun

Established
Well it wouldn't be smart to rob the people who are prepared, but that's the point. People wont be thinking rationally. Where I would look for soft targets like stuff that is already abandoned. And maybe find someone who needs a gun and trade for some food
Aero, I don't think you are being realistic. Abandoned food will disappear quickly. Trading your gun for food means you won't have the means of bringing down a deer or even a pigeon after you've eaten the food you got in the trade.