Anyone ever had a family member who wanted to be a singer?

imsickofyoshi

Established
If you ever had a family that had become famous, would you cut ties to protect yourself?
I had just heard from my mom that my niece wanted to start recording or something. She is just 14. She hadn't even started yet. It's just a thought. A thought that still scares me none the less. I just keep thinking, "What happens if she became famous?" Would I, or another family member be on the chopping block"?

I thought this was all pass us (me, I am the only one worried.) when my sister tried and failed. I mean this with best intentions : I hope she fails.
and how much are her chances, really?

and as for talk to them? hah they aren't the type to think like this. I don't blame the girl, she is a kid. I used to want to be a singer too. but I hope her mom don't put her through that, or least have good enough sense to turn around when they start noticing signs.

polymoog

Superstar
i dont think that the family members of celebs are under scrutiny. the celebs themselves are in the public domain and exposed to ridicule.
if you are referring to a "bob dylan sign a pact with the devil" type deal, family members, in my opinion, are exempt since they are not the ones who sold their soul for fame and fortune.

My father wanted to be a country artist when he was younger. When you heard him sing, he legit sounded like Johnny Cash with a bit of a rock and roll energy. He actually received a contract, from a smaller lawyer, but a lawyer told him to reject it since he'd be stuck with all the expenses and if he didn't make it, things would be bad.

He was apprehensive in the first place since they wanted him to be more of a clean-cut perform rather than the sweat, rocking rolling honkytonk guy he was... Sit on a stool and strum, rather walk across the bar playing your guitar with an afro. Even though he wasn't really "wild", just a country boy that drank beer and played his music loud, he wouldn't have fit the role of a clean-cut country artist.

If your niece wants to do music, encourage it. If she feels passionate about music, don't try to kill it. just encourage DIY ethic and artistic integrity over pop stardom.

But I wouldn't cut ties. Chances are, since the sort of people I'm close to are the sort that share the limelight, I'd put myself in a grave.

imsickofyoshi

Established
i dont think that the family members of celebs are under scrutiny. the celebs themselves are in the public domain and exposed to ridicule.
if you are referring to a "bob dylan sign a pact with the devil" type deal, family members, in my opinion, are exempt since they are not the ones who sold their soul for fame and fortune.
I meant, when it came time to do a sacrifice

Swiftturtle

Established
People don’t really address the Christian industry, especially the rock groups, but it’s also shady AF. A close family member left his label bc he rufused to compromise his morals . From raging alcoholics to some incredibly deceitful practices ( just scratching the surface) by the powers that be