Anybody Here Not Religious But Spiritual?

Etagloc

Superstar
Be Here Now is nonsense.

We should be future oriented. Joy in the present lies in forgetting the present. Being focused on enjoyment will rob you of enjoyment.

The problem with the term "spiritual not religious" is the term "spiritual not religious". It is a cliche and it sounds vague and unexciting.

The concept behind it I agree with but I would never want to use such a cliched description.

You have to invent your own ism. Personally, I think the name for what you describe is neo-Platonism. I would consider myself a neo-Platonist but I don't say that.

Because naming your ism distorts your ism.

Therefore, maybe you follow a nameless personal ism. Just add ism to your last name if you want to have a name for it.

Anyways, theology....

I have wondered how do you construct a theology when you are not of a particular religion.

Being of a religion gives you an ideology...... sort of like Communism, though Communism is atheist.....but the thing is, if you study the history of revolutions...... I think a revolution or really any sort of struggle needs an inspiring and deeply felt ideology behind it.....

People need an inspiring and deeply felt ideology (spiritual or materialistic, preferably spiritual).......but not everyone can sit down and just develop an ideology like someone like Marx or Plato......most people need one prepackaged for them. So people buy into a prepacked ideology developed by spiritual genius so they can learn.

It's not a bad thing. Religion is very beautiful. And what it teaches works. But I've prayed to Jesus and Allah and......

I think the Gita is right. I don't think God is going to ignore your prayers based on which religion you follow. Pretty much everyone follows the culturally-determined religion their family has followed. Religion and culture are of a single piece. Ideology, too.

In any case, you figure out your own way of thinking and get good at practicing non-action in the way of speech.... or non-speech to be specific.

A religion is not a specific thing. The followers of a religion have totally different ideas of what the religion is or means.

In all actuality, if you consciously move in a more neo-Platonic direction...... you move consciously where they are moving unconsciously.

The vast majority need the outer shells to carry the inner truths.... actually we all can use the outer shells- reading scripture is good for all of us. But it is in the inner meaning.

Alanantic

Star
Okay, dude! Sorry I was born! (well, hello! Etaglog). I'm NEW here...maybe new to this planet. Let me ponder..the BeHereNow...stuff.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Be Here Now is nonsense.

We should be future oriented. Joy in the present lies in forgetting the present. Being focused on enjoyment will rob you of enjoyment.

The problem with the term "spiritual not religious" is the term "spiritual not religious". It is a cliche and it sounds vague and unexciting.

The concept behind it I agree with but I would never want to use such a cliched description.

You have to invent your own ism. Personally, I think the name for what you describe is neo-Platonism. I would consider myself a neo-Platonist but I don't say that.

Because naming your ism distorts your ism.

Therefore, maybe you follow a nameless personal ism. Just add ism to your last name if you want to have a name for it.

Anyways, theology....

I have wondered how do you construct a theology when you are not of a particular religion.

Being of a religion gives you an ideology...... sort of like Communism, though Communism is atheist.....but the thing is, if you study the history of revolutions...... I think a revolution or really any sort of struggle needs an inspiring and deeply felt ideology behind it.....

People need an inspiring and deeply felt ideology (spiritual or materialistic, preferably spiritual).......but not everyone can sit down and just develop an ideology like someone like Marx or Plato......most people need one prepackaged for them. So people buy into a prepacked ideology developed by spiritual genius so they can learn.

It's not a bad thing. Religion is very beautiful. And what it teaches works. But I've prayed to Jesus and Allah and......

I think the Gita is right. I don't think God is going to ignore your prayers based on which religion you follow. Pretty much everyone follows the culturally-determined religion their family has followed. Religion and culture are of a single piece. Ideology, too.

In any case, you figure out your own way of thinking and get good at practicing non-action in the way of speech.... or non-speech to be specific.

A religion is not a specific thing. The followers of a religion have totally different ideas of what the religion is or means.

In all actuality, if you consciously move in a more neo-Platonic direction...... you move consciously where they are moving unconsciously.

The vast majority need the outer shells to carry the inner truths.... actually we all can use the outer shells- reading scripture is good for all of us. But it is in the inner meaning.
I admire you in your search...

I remember reading Francis Schaffer "The God Who is There".

If God is real and has a genuine interest in us, it seems as though he may have taken the steps to make himself known to us. I hope you find who you truly seek.

mecca

Superstar
We will eventually build spaceships, have wars over spaceships, and fly across the galaxy to other Planets.
Wouldn't it be sad if humans never learned to control themselves?... We'd still be having wars even if we become smart enough to travel through the galaxy. I think people should learn to live in harmony together on Earth before they try to leave the planet.

Zoidberg

Established
Wouldn't it be sad if humans never learned to control themselves?... We'd still be having wars even if we become smart enough to travel through the galaxy. I think people should learn to live in harmony together on Earth before they try to leave the planet.
Do you know some of the most popular and useful inventions were discovered by accident? Some of the greatest inventions came from silly ideas, nobody would even think of today. That's how I feel about the human race. Some scientist will eventually find space travel completely by accident. People definitely need to find world peace, but sadly there will be no world peace. Only top countries working together to preserve the planet. Humans will land on the moon, eventually mars somehow, and find other planets like Earth. We will find aliens and other life forms living on the planets. We have so much to discover as humans. So many power is capable with our minds, but we need to set down for world peace. Truly or forcefully.

I'm glad you agree with my opinion, you have to have your life straight. I'm glad you do not shove your Religion down other people's throats with bible verses and such. Enjoy your day!

-Zoidberg

Etagloc

Superstar
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!

Alanantic

Star
Another push towards "Christ Conciousness" has made the art news recently...

View attachment 1985

Packed full of interesting symbolism for those with eyes to see...

"Salvator Mundi, Latin for Saviour of the World, is a subject in iconography depicting Christ with his right hand raised in blessing and his left hand holding an orb surmounted by a cross, known as a globus cruciger. The latter symbolizes the Earth, and the whole composition has strong eschatological undertones.

The globus cruciger (Latin for "cross-bearing orb"), also known as the orb and cross, is an orb (Latin: globus) surmounted (Latin: gerere, to wear) by a cross (Latin: crux). It has been a Christian symbol of authority since the Middle Ages, used on coins, in iconography, and with a sceptre as royal regalia.

The cross represents Christ's dominion over the orb of the world, literally held in the hand of an earthly ruler (or sometimes it is held by an angel). In the iconography of Western art, when Christ himself holds the globe, he is called Salvator Mundi (Latin for "Saviour of the World"); his statue is the Infant Jesus of Prague." -- Wiki

There are many depiction of Christ with the hand gesture and orb. Strangely though, Leonardo's orb has no cross on top.

mecca

Superstar
"21Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away in sorrow, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

25When the disciples heard this they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”"