Any vegetarians or vegans here?

mecca

Superstar
No shit Mecca, if someone can't digest something and will get a reaction from it, they shouldn't eat it. Lactose intolerance and allergies are not the freaking point. Ofcourse if you can't eat something, you'll adjust your diet to fit to that. If i can't eat peanuts, i won't eat them. That doesn't make them harmful on their own right or make them not have any benefits.
What does this have to do with anything I said? I seriously feel like you aren't even reading anything I said to you...
The entire thing started because you said that according to "Studies" milk depletes calcium from the bone.
Yes, studies are finding this out but as I said, there is currently no consensus on this specific idea.

You responded to me by saying that "not drinking milk at all seems like a way to spend your old age on wheel chair". Saying that means you think that not drinking milk is unhealthy and leads to problems... My response to that was that people can exclude milk from their diet and still have a balanced diet and healthy levels of calcium. Regardless of if milk depletes calcium or not... milk is sill not a necessary component in a healthy diet, you can easily get your calcium and minerals from other foods. This is a fact, why are you arguing against it?
And then you said milk is not what makes bones healthy, exercise does.
Studies have shown that exercise is what strengthens your bones and consuming a lot of calcium doesn't protect you from getting bone fractures in old age. Regardless of whether it's exercise or calcium that is the most important in strengthening bones, milk itself is still not necessary for bone health... the proper level of calcium is what's necessary, and you can easily obtain calcium from non-milk sources. This is a simple fact but it seems like you're trying to deny this.
Humans aren't meant to survive on just plants
What does this have to do with milk? Humans aren't "meant to" drink milk... milk is created for baby animals, it's purpose is too feed a growing baby. Cow milk is produced by the mother cow to feed her calf... humans are not "meant to" drink that milk but people do it anyway. Every single mammal stops drinking milk when they reach adulthood, except for humans. The fact that the majority of the human population is lactose intolerant shows that people aren't meant to be drinking milk... But we still can and do, that doesn't make it necessary though.

A balanced vegan diet is just as healthy as an omnivorous one... people are capable of having a healthy, balanced vegan diet and they can get all of the nutrients they need from non-animal sources. As long as you have a well planned diet and you make sure you are getting all of the nutrients you need, you will be healthy. If someone wants to maintain a balanced vegan/plant based diet, that's not a problem and they can do that healthily.

That doesn't have anything to do with milk though. You don't have to be vegan to exclude milk from your diet. I was never specifically referring to vegans in this conversation... I was speaking broadly about every person who does not drink milk. There are many people who don't have milk as a key component of their diet who are not vegan. Like I said before, whether you're a vegan or not, you simply do not need to drink milk in order to obtain the correct amount of calcium or have a healthy diet with the proper amount of vitamins/minerals. The same vitamins and minerals are found in various other foods.

Last edited:

manama

Star
And why would you think that? Do you not understand that there is an abundance of calcium and mineral rich plants that people eat? Leafy green vegetables like collard greens for example are a great source of calcium. People eat those plants and they get calcium and various other nutrients from them. Vegans eat those plants... there entire diet consists of plant foods and that's where they get their calcium and other nutrients. This is a basic fact. Please understand that milk is not the only food that contains calcium/other minerals.
I haven't seen any vegan who isn't using pills as alternative sources for what they don't get from meat and dairy.
Yes, studies are finding this out but as I said, there is currently no consensus on this specific idea.
Studies that literally no one knows about except vcf? Okay.

yannick

Veteran
I cannot help but love yummy chocolate milk although I do want, during the life of this world, to forgo it if need be, even if I sipped only once!

CocoaMoo.jpg

Last edited:

yiksmes

Established
Has anybody read Dr. P.J D'Adamo books?

If you did, what are your thoughts?

Here's a mini info:

Dr. P.J. D’Adamo, a naturopathic physician, was the first person to introduce the idea of a blood diet type in his book “Eat Right for Your Type,” which was originally published in 1996. D’Adamo based his suggestions on research he had done regarding the dietary habits of ancestral tribes and communities. He postulates in his books that the different blood types developed during periods in history when people had access to only certain foods, which contributed to changes in their digestive systems and their ability to tolerate different foods. He specifically bases many of his recommendations on varying levels of stomach acids and enzymes that he links to different blood types.

morita

Veteran
Some people have deficiencies hence the health problems, it's not necesarily the vegan diet that's wrong. Ppl shouldn't blindly follow a guideline when they want to change their diet but rather work with a nutritionist and see what's good for them. It depends on each individual.

LadyJ

:confused::mad::cool: i try to be strict again but i was bothered so much about people that eat meat one day they just got me to eat meat
stress eating meat makes you hot for meat but you have to lurk away and try vegan foods its so worth it!! i recommend making your own vegan recipes like i found on youtube they help so much

LadyJ

just cause I tried meat please dont quit because of me

also look up how animal meat has parasites it will scare the hell out of you

LadyJ

um i just remember theyre starting some cults about plants having feelings too and um also about parasites.. arent plants grown in the dirt where worms live??

i miss fasting and being pro ana

Scars512

Established
Vegetarian for 36 years. I went vegan for a short period of time when my son was 1.5 years old and was diagnosed with lots of food allergies (beef, eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts) so I switched to soy based products and egg replacements like flax for baking. It was okay, but once he outgrew the egg and dairy allergies (along with the beef, fish, shellfish allergies), I switched back. Although, I do find that dairy does not always agree with me and seems to cause an acne flare up if I eat too much of it. I've cut out most of it, but it is hard for me to give it up completely. And eating out while avoiding eggs and dairy is nearly impossible unless you only want to eat salad. (Not that we eat out a lot because food allergies also make it difficult.) So, I stick to my ovo-lacto vegetarian diet although I admire people who can do the vegan thing.

But, my kids and husband are not vegetarians. They do eat less meat because we have vegetarian friendly options a few times a week, but they aren't keen to adopt my meat-free diet. But they respect my choice and I respect theirs, so it is all good.

polymoog

Superstar
Vegetarian for 36 years. I went vegan for a short period of time when my son was 1.5 years old and was diagnosed with lots of food allergies (beef, eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts) so I switched to soy based products and egg replacements like flax for baking. It was okay, but once he outgrew the egg and dairy allergies (along with the beef, fish, shellfish allergies), I switched back. Although, I do find that dairy does not always agree with me and seems to cause an acne flare up if I eat too much of it. I've cut out most of it, but it is hard for me to give it up completely. And eating out while avoiding eggs and dairy is nearly impossible unless you only want to eat salad. (Not that we eat out a lot because food allergies also make it difficult.) So, I stick to my ovo-lacto vegetarian diet although I admire people who can do the vegan thing.

But, my kids and husband are not vegetarians. They do eat less meat because we have vegetarian friendly options a few times a week, but they aren't keen to adopt my meat-free diet. But they respect my choice and I respect theirs, so it is all good.
i hope you are off of those soy products. they are a bad substitute.
by the way, some people find that consuming raw milk instead of pasteurized (mucus-forming) milk makes a huge difference in allergic reactions. its not always so easy to find, though.

Scars512

Established
i hope you are off of those soy products. they are a bad substitute.
by the way, some people find that consuming raw milk instead of pasteurized (mucus-forming) milk makes a huge difference in allergic reactions. its not always so easy to find, though.
We don't use soy milk anymore, but we didn't have a whole lot of options because of the nut allergies. Almond milk would have been my choice, but soy was all that would work for us. I've heard that raw milk is better, but I don't have any idea where to get it.

TonyVanDam

Established
I have been a vegan since December 2017. I did it to better my health. And by my freedom of choice, I choose to not rely on animal sacifices as a food source for myself.

Dalit

Star
um i just remember theyre starting some cults about plants having feelings too and um also about parasites.. arent plants grown in the dirt where worms live??

Oh girl, don't be pro ana. Please get help for your eating disorder. There's no shame in getting help.

Just want to add that I'm not coming from a place of judgment but concern. I struggle with disordered eating, too, and it manifested really badly with chronic dieting and exercise bulimia. Bulimia and ana aren't far apart. I would try to compensate for binges (real and perceived) by overexercising and trying not to eat. I've been morbidly obese and I've been too thin. Both extremes were terrible for me.

Last edited:

elsbet

Superstar

It's hard gaining weight when you know how to be really thin. The good news is that bad feeling is very temporary-- your body will level out once you stop starving it. You have time and space to do cardio?

EDIT: I KNOW JACK ABOUT ANOREXIA... ADDERALL, ETC., I'M WELL-VERSED. SORRY IF THAT WAS MISLEADING.

DavidSon

Star
Famous Vegetarian Quotes

“Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends.” ― George Bernard Shaw

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.” ― Leo Tolstoy

“I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

“It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

“By eating meat we share the responsibility of climate change, the destruction of our forests, and the poisoning of our air and water. The simple act of becoming a vegetarian will make a difference in the health of our planet.” ― Thich Nhat Hanh,

“My refusing to eat flesh occasioned an inconveniency, and I was frequently chided for my singularity, but, with this lighter repast, I made the greater progress, for greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension. Flesh eating is unprovoked murder.” ― Ben Franklin

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as savage tribes have left off eating each other when they came in contact with the more civilized.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

“As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” ― Pythagoras