Any bilinguals?

Vytas

Star
I still don't think i speak english. I learn languages without investing time in it, out of necessity. I learned to write in english here. Thanks to all patient readers lol. Besides that i can speak russian and my mother tongue lithuanian. I undersand some french and polish, can't speak though. Thats about it.

Turquoise

Rookie
Yep! My mother tongue and the language we speak in this country. And then English too. I do understand some French and German (so when listening) but I can't speak, write or make sentences myself.And I do think it's useful of course. You can communicate more, read stuff in their language that hasn't been translated into yours. But also, learning a new language needs dedication. I cant think of a reason why it wouldn't be useful actually. Every new skill you learn is useful in my opinion. Like, if you learn a new recipe then thats useful. Why wouldn't it not be? Also, as I grew in bilingual I do have to say that I didn't master any of them. Sometimes I use In one phrase two languages as I forgot some words in the others. So in regards of if I have a language that I'm really good at, the answer is none although I can speak the 3 of them. I hope what I wrote describes what I meant. Have a nice day!

Awoken2

Superstar
I'm not going to name names but I have noticed that here on VC forum there is a higher than normal percentage of people who are fluent in talking bollocks......you know who you are. :rolleyes:

Turquoise

Rookie
I read the alchemist by paulo coelho a book that I would have never heard of if I didn't study portuguese.

I don't know if I'm generalising but Americans are usually not inclined to speak other languages bc they don't feel the need to travel outside of the US.
Ahh I see! Well everyone has their own perspective and reasons. Although I think that to know if something is useful or not we have to look at how it is used.

And about the American not being inclined to speak other languages could be one of the reasons as English is spoken in a lot of places.

I learned English by watching Anime when I was seven years old, without knowing what the subs even meant, I also played games in English even thought the language was totally new for me, I just somehow ended up learning it naturally as those games weren't available in my language same for Anime.

I also live in a place with different cultures, so that could be also one of the reasons. Although I'm sure that it actually depends on the person itself because I have friends who aren't good at all in English. So one of the reasons could also be because someone is interested in another culture, language, or whatever the reason may be.

But yea, if English is used in a lot of countries then if you know English you can communicate a lot more already. So maybe why Americans aren't inclined to learn a new language is because English is common. But I can be wrong as I'm just writing this from my perspective.

Mr.Anderson

Veteran
I speak portuguese, english, halfway spanish, a bit of german and a bit of french.

I wish I could speak japanese / russian / greek or another language that doesn't use the latin alphabet =P

Lisa

Superstar
I speak portuguese, english, halfway spanish, a bit of german and a bit of french.

I wish I could speak japanese / russian / greek or another language that doesn't use the latin alphabet =P
It sounds like you have an affinity for languages. I only know the basics like hello/goodbye in Spanish, French and German it can’t really converse in anything but English.

No, unfortunately. I didn’t get a chance for an alternative language until High School.

Anyway America needs to teach at a bare minimum Spanish alongside English but I would recommend Chinese and a few others, from the beginning. It puts us at a serious disadvantage not too.

I find Portuguese an intriguing language, I like the way it sounds when spoken, especially by those gorgeous Brazilian women ;):D

If Bolsonaro gets overthrown in my lifetime I’m going to learn some and go and celebrate over there.

I like all the Romance languages though, maybe I’ll get an Italian Rosetta Stone.

Last edited:

Lurker

Star
Anyway America needs to teach at a bare minimum Spanish alongside English but I would recommend Chinese and a few others, from the beginning. It puts us at a serious disadvantage not too.
Why? English is the international language of business and flight.
No, unfortunately. I didn’t get a chance for an alternative language until High School.
Agreed. If a second language is to be taught, it needs to be done long before HS.

DUSTY

Established
I speak English. Could do well in Spanish. Got along okay in Japanese.
But it's been YEARS since I used the Spanish and DECADES since the Japanese.
I've forgotten it all except the English.

has

Rookie
I'm a french native speaker
I'd say I'm very comfortable with English
I dabble a bit in Spanish (I'm better at understanding it than speaking it and it's been too much years since I didn't practice) and Japanese (I'm lower intermediate level right now and still studying - hopefully I'll manage to improve it a little bit more once I go there in September!)
I used to know German when I was a kid - now? not that much anymore... lol
I'm trying to learn lingala (my mother 2nd native tongue)