Anti-Illuminati songs/lyrics

Karlysymon

Superstar

This isn’t an anti-illuminati song per se, given the questionable origins of the band. I guess it’s a case of “mocking us, mocking them” but I thought what Sting said about the song was quite interesting:

I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realise at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.

— Sting[11]

Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[12] When asked why he appears angry in the music video, Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite."[/I]

Last edited:

Awoken2

Superstar

This isn’t an anti-illuminati song per se, given the questionable origins of the band. I guess it’s a case of “mocking us, mocking them” but I thought what Sting said about the song was quite interesting:

I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realise at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.

— Sting[11]

Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it is about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. "One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!' I thought, 'Well, good luck.'"[12] When asked why he appears angry in the music video, Sting told BBC Radio 2, "I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite."[/I]
I think it's probably one of the best examples of how songs are totally open to interpretation, the above anecdote proving the point.

A successful song is one that can tap into the emotions of large groups of people and I would imagine there weren't many people who had just been dumped out of a relationship that this song didn't "strike a chord" with in the mid eighties.

It also proves that the majority of people will just take a song on face value and not look into the meaning of the lyrics.

Just as an interesting aside,at the time of this songs release I was seeing Stings Nanny. She lived in my home town and she would travel down to London to work Mondays to Fridays. I fibbed about my real age, I was 16 but told her I was 18 and she was 21.

Karlysymon

Superstar
I think it's probably one of the best examples of how songs are totally open to interpretation, the above anecdote proving the point.

A successful song is one that can tap into the emotions of large groups of people and I would imagine there weren't many people who had just been dumped out of a relationship that this song didn't "strike a chord" with in the mid eighties.

It also proves that the majority of people will just take a song on face value and not look into the meaning of the lyrics.

Just as an interesting aside,at the time of this songs release I was seeing Stings Nanny. She lived in my home town and she would travel down to London to work Mondays to Fridays. I fibbed about my real age, I was 16 but told her I was 18 and she was 21.
Bolded part....well said!!!

Before you revealed your age in the wrestling thread, i used to think you were 25!!! Sorry. I had to 're-orient' my brain somehow after the revelation while reading your posts.

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar
This song is specifically about the fall of the corrupt British Empire, but its meaning translates well regarding this threads discussion.....
Its too late, much too late, the damage is done....
It doesn't matter, anymore, which one was wrong....
Your going to find out, soon enough, just what went wrong....
Your going to find out, all the things, weve known so long....
When yesterday, came once again, for their young....
But it was poisoned, by your pens, and your guns.....
We gave you sweat, and we took, we took all your money....
But you wanted blood, yeah you wanted blood, now aint that funny?

Chours -
So lend a hand, to the man, let him find his way....
If you open your mind, then you might hear, what hes got to say....
When yesterday, it over, it overtook today....
We were almost young, when you pushed us, right out of the way....

We used to dream, of the future, and our friends....
Before you started, the beginning, of the end....
Nobody cares, anymore, just what you say....
And your broken empire, is lying shattered, down the way....
And all the prophets, your prophets of doom, they blew your mind....
And your self-destruction, is getting nearer, all the time....
And if my for-dream, of the future, if its correct....
Then I'll just tighten, up this rope, around my neck....

Chorus -

Last edited:

Dalit

Star

— Sting[11]

Yep, it's the ultimate stalker song. Could it be why he later had the song "If You Love Somebody, Set Them Free"? :)

Awoken2

Superstar

Behold a new Christ
Behold the same old horde
Gather at the altering
New beginning, new word
And the word was death
And the word was without light
The new beatitude:
"Good luck, you're on your own"

Blessed are the fornicates
May we bend down to be their whores
Blessed are the rich
May we labour, deliver them more
Blessed are the envious
Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
Blessed are the gluttonous
May they feast us to famine and war

What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful?
What of the meek, the mourning, and the merciful?
All doomed
All doomed

Behold a new Christ
Gather at the altering
New beginning, new word
And the word was death
The new beatitude:
"Good luck..."

What of the righteous?
What of the charitable?
What of the truthful, the dutiful, the decent?

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
For the word is now death
And the word is now without light
The new beatitude:
"Fuck the doomed, you're on your own"

Dalit

Star

Behold a new Christ
Gather at the altering
New beginning, new word
And the word was death
The new beatitude:
"Good luck, you're on your own"

Blessed are the fornicates
May we bend down to be their whores
Blessed are the rich
May we labour, deliver them more
Blessed are the envious
Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
Blessed are the gluttonous
May they feast us to famine and war

All doomed
All doomed

Behold a new Christ
Gather at the altering
New beginning, new word
And the word was death
The new beatitude:
"Good luck..."

What of the righteous?
What of the charitable?
What of the truthful, the dutiful, the decent?

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
For the word is now death
And the word is now without light
The new beatitude:
"Fuck the doomed, you're on your own"
That's truly sad and feel like that's been true for the casualties of WOF and NAR among other things.

Awoken2

Superstar
That's truly sad and feel like that's been true for the casualties of WOF and NAR among other things.
It's a very sad song, but it only reflects our sad reality.

I'm not very good with acronyms so I've Googled them....WOF is a test certificate for vehicle roadworthyness in New Zealand and NAR is a trade union for Estate Agents.... I've got both of them wrong haven't I?

Living proof that Google does in fact make people stupid.

....help me out here..

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
It's a very sad song, but it only reflects our sad reality.

I'm not very good with acronyms so I've Googled them....WOF is a test certificate for vehicle roadworthyness in New Zealand and NAR is a trade union for Estate Agents.... I've got both of them wrong haven't I?

Living proof that Google does in fact make people stupid.

....help me out here..
WOF meets NAR :-

— Sting[11]

Well, people who thought the song was a love song weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, lol! This video being at the height of music video craze always gave me the creeps. Maybe it was my aversion to Sting and having a high school friend who was obsessed with the guy, but at 00:45, him in the chiaroscuro lighting, was enough for me to know it wasn't a love song. He sings “...you belong to me” and that doesn't sound too endearing, but maybe that’s just me. Right after 1:45, while Sting looks like he’s having a conniption in slow motion, he sounds like he’s singing under his breath rather hauntingly “I want you”. Lol, yeah, I’d play that for a wedding song – not. I could almost understand the confusion of the song “True” by Spandau Ballet being a wedding song, until you realize that Tony is singing about drug abuse, however, the musical arrangement and tempo is slow, and Tony and the rest of the gents have nice melodic voices.

That all said, here’s one from the LP prior to “Synchronicity” that I always thought was an eye-opener. I also think it’s a better album, but that's because I'm partial to Stuart's drumming:

Spirits in the Material World
The Police

There is no political solution
To our troubled evolution
Have no faith in constitution
There is no bloody revolution

We are spirits in the material world
Are spirits in the material world

Our so-called leaders speak
With words they try to jail you
They subjugate the meek
But it's the rhetoric of failure

Where does the answer lie?
Living from day to day
If it's something we can't buy
There must be another way…

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Well, people who thought the song was a love song weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, lol! This video being at the height of music video craze always gave me the creeps. Maybe it was my aversion to Sting and having a high school friend who was obsessed with the guy, but at 00:45, him in the chiaroscuro lighting, was enough for me to know it wasn't a love song. He sings “...you belong to me” and that doesn't sound too endearing, but maybe that’s just me. Right after 1:45, while Sting looks like he’s having a conniption in slow motion, he sounds like he’s singing under his breath rather hauntingly “I want you”. Lol, yeah, I’d play that for a wedding song – not. I could almost understand the confusion of the song “True” by Spandau Ballet being a wedding song, until you realize that Tony is singing about drug abuse, however, the musical arrangement and tempo is slow, and Tony and the rest of the gents have nice melodic voices.

That all said, here’s one from the LP prior to “Synchronicity” that I always thought it was an eye-opener. I also think it’s a better album, but that's because I'm partial to Stuart's drumming:

Spirits in the Material World
The Police

There is no political solution
To our troubled evolution
Have no faith in constitution
There is no bloody revolution

Our so-called leaders speak
With words they try to jail you
They subjugate the meek
But it's the rhetoric of failure

Where does the answer lie?
Living from day to day
If it's something we can't buy
There must be another way…

I liked the "Spitting Image" take on the song...

I liked the "Spitting Image" take on the song...

Speaking of which...

Land of Confusion
Genesis

I must've dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But i can hear the marching feet
They're moving into the street.

Now did you read the news today
They say the danger's gone away
But i can see the fire's still alight
There burning into the night.

There's too many men
Too many people
Making too many problems
And not much love to go round
Can't you see
This is a land of confusion.

This is the world we live in
And these are the hands we're given
Use them and let's start trying
To make it a place worth living in.

Ooh superman where are you now
When everything's gone wrong somehow
The men of steel, the men of power
Are losing control by the hour.

This is the time
This is the place
So we look for the future
But there's not much love to go round
Tell me why, this is a land of confusion...

TempestOfTempo

Superstar

Artist - Bounty Killer / Song - Seek God / Album - My Xperince

Before dem seek God, dem seek the devil
That's why dem lives so miserable
But mi sing again it's Jah (God), and not the devil
Him make this world become a temple!

Can they praise Vatican 24/7?
Try know the Man weh build the earth and the heaven
Him a make the sun shine seven to seven
I see earthquake and storm weh a dangerous sudden
Lightning and thunder-clap make you frightened
Volcano and lava burn you all to nothing
Man all a fight his brother to gain title
And war did start, with Cain and Abel
When Cain drove a knife right in him bother navel
Now is the time to live as Jah disciple....

- Chorus -

Then this part is to you Mister Vatican Paul
Instead a make bridges you make more walls
It's like you don't see that your kingdom bound to fall
Tired fear the ghetto youth dem a bawl
Weep and a moan all fear dem name call
Say not a more sufferation after all
Because, Babylons system must fall!

- Chorus -

To the leaders of this world, the Killer appeal
You don't got no heart tell me how do you feel
To see the ghetto youths 'pon the road a steal
'Cause dem wake up inna the morning and dem don't got no meal
No sight too because a likkle (little)
It burn me feelings, so the Killer have to squeal
By the Almighty I protected and shield
It's like you want whole part of a half bum deal!

Before dem seek Jah, dem seek the devil
That's why some lives so miserable
Junior tell them say; "it's Jah and not the devil"
Him make this world become a temple!

Last edited:

TempestOfTempo

Superstar

Artist - Super Cat / Song - Fight Fi Power / Album - Don Dada

Oh me oh me oh my,
What good it does a man to gain the whole wide world and lose his soul for a bag of silver and gold?
Or make a problem and put them in a hole...... come follow me!

- Chorus -
Fight Fi (for) Power, dis a fight fi pow-wow-wow-er
Fight fi power cause in-a de last hour
Fight fi power, dis a de fight for pow-wow-wow-er
Fight for power because this is the last...... come follow me!

Long long ago before Christ was savior, there was an evil man who named Julius Caesar
Who invade Jerusalem and he was seeking power, and a nuff nuff nuff nuff nuff (enough) is a life him slaughter
Den he declare himself Jah Jah (God), and then take over
But how can a man call guide me (to) Jah Jah? Without supernatural and mystic power?
So me say couple years after, Jah Jah lick (smite) him over, take it from The Cat him dere back right

- Chorus -

In eleven sixty second was a next evil man, and what was him name? It was Gengis Khan
He was a great great leader of the Mongolians, and a conqueror who ruled many nations
Who breached through the wall of the great Raja Khan(?), and overran Persia and Afghanistan
His army in-a India and in-a Russia, in a twelve twenty three him go rule Asia
And four years later Jah, they jackin (for) power

- Chorus -

Now 1717 it was a next evil man, and what was him name? It was Napoleon
Who ride across Europe with dangerous weapon, and him massacre 'nuff man and den him give the command
Mash up Italy and him go crush German, say from Poland him go sink Finland
And no army could stop him but the Russian, take it from The Cat the man a style and fashion

- Chorus -

Ina 1934 German elect a leader and, what was his name? It was Adolf Hitler
And the rest of the world called him The Fuehrer, he declared to the world he was superior
And killing the Jews was his greatest pleasure, over 6 million Jew are what him slaughter
Then England and Russia, America joined together, and so them get to overthrow the guy, the Fuehrer

- Chorus -

But now in 1990s they cry is for power, and all of mankind is living in danger
Because of the conflict Jah man between the super powers, and East blame West hour after hour

Last edited: