Android or iPhone-- which do you prefer?

Android or iPhone?

• Android

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • iPhone

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Cintra

Star
Android

Cheap. Very cheap in comparison to any iphone.

And that is my only consideration. When I need a new device I never even look at Apple stuff. I already know I can't afford it.
But you can get an android phone for less than £100

Last edited:

recure

Established
This is comparing an operating system installed on phones by most manufacturers with the flagship model of one manufacturer. So it's not really a fair comparison. Sure, you can claim that there are cheap Android phones but there are also ones that are just as expensive as an iPhone based on the hardware or even the service provider's data plan. In terms of privacy, stock Android syphons about 10x as much user data as an iPhone though both are effectively spying on you at all times unless you take measures to mitigate it.

I personally use an Android device but I prefer neither a phone that runs Android or iOS. The interests of manufacturers who use that software are hostile to the interests of people who buy the phones and who care about their privacy. Commercial mobile phones are at best a "necessary evil" though the only way you can believe this is if you've bought into the lie.

Daze

Superstar
Both Apple and Google take everything you do and document it, then sell it.

Privacy does not exist on an Android or Apple phone, if you believe in Apples advertising that they "respect your privacy", you better not look into 30% of Apples profits coming from selling your data.

I suggest you get a spyware free phone. Here's one source I'm aware of.

Why do you want to feed the surveillance state? Make them work for it.

Did you know in China if you jaywalk you can get points taken off of your social credit score and lose access to gooberment privileges?
There are people whose score is low enough that they can't get on planes, faster trains, hi speed internet, many things are locked away from them because there social credit score is too low.

If you want to see what the corrupt-ment will do with your data look to China. They already are profiling and gauging you. If you think you don't have a social credit score now in the US or the UK you're a fool.

Several places today like the UK are desperate to implement a "vaccine pass" and it has nothing what so ever to do with your health. Get away from these data harvesters.

elsbet

Superstar
Both Apple and Google take everything you do and document it, then sell it.

Privacy does not exist on an Android or Apple phone, if you believe in Apples advertising that they "respect your privacy", you better not look into 30% of Apples profits coming from selling your data.

I suggest you get a spyware free phone. Here's one source I'm aware of.

Why do you want to feed the surveillance state? Make them work for it.

Did you know in China if you jaywalk you can get points taken off of your social credit score and lose access to gooberment privileges?
There are people whose score is low enough that they can't get on planes, faster trains, hi speed internet, many things are locked away from them because there social credit score is too low.

If you want to see what the corrupt-ment will do with your data look to China. They already are profiling and gauging you. If you think you don't have a social credit score now in the US or the UK you're a fool.

Several places today like the UK are desperate to implement a "vaccine pass" and it has nothing what so ever to do with your health. Get away from these data harvesters.

And you prefer.. ?

Daze

Superstar
And you prefer.. ?
Isn't it obvious? One that can have open source software installed. One that isn't loaded with software tracking your every movement. Remove Google and/or Apple OS and it makes no difference.

Helioform

Star
As a software developer I prefer Android.

More open OS programming API based on known Linux kernel, more pleasant programming language (Java for Android or C/C++ if you want to get to the metal level as opposed to the awful Swift for iPhone). Android lets you install apps that are not on the Play Store (although with a warning) while Apple forces you to use their App Store for everything even desktop apps. This is very bad for free market of app development. I hate Apple with a passion, if there is an anti-christ company out there it sure is Apple. With their forbidden fruit logo with a bite in it and the price of their first computer which was 666$. Also Android phones are generally much cheaper with the exact same features.

elsbet

Superstar
neither.
if i had to get a phone, id get a bare bones dumb phone. no internet and no texting.
I envision you with a nice, tabletop rotary... :D

That's smart, really. It isn't enough anymore to stay away from social media.

polymoog

Superstar
I'm not too well versed into phones, I am an anroid person, and with android there is always Google (Well... Google is everywhere) and we use google for everything: navigation, communication, education, entertainment- just everything. So, how do you go day by day without google if you use a phone without android or ios? Assuming that you do have a non android and ios phone.
I'm a dumb gen z here...
why do you need all of that?

polymoog

Superstar
It's probably because of how much I've become to reliant on it. In school, a couple years ago, (I'm a freshmeat adult here) it was important to use technology. Now more than ever, students are reliant on technology to do work and learn. Also, its that fact all my friends and family are connected through world wide web. Family overseas, family who are about 1 an hour drive away, etc. The need to gain and pass information no matter how relevant or irrelevant it is. That's just my take on it, anyone else willing to add or disagree, welcome to.
very good answer.
i shouldve stated the question as, "do you really need all that?" based on your answer, i suppose you do.

i call people when i get home or send them an email and check it at a later time. i plan everything ahead, so there is no need to constantly update a meeting time/date/place.
nothing is so critical (at least for me) that someone needs to contact me ASAP. i have maps in my truck if i am going somewhere new (a rare event for me), or prior to the trip, i will write down or print out the directions.

i like having something to talk to my friend about when i meet him somewhere. if we stayed in constant communication all week, the meeting and ensuing conversation, i feel, would lose a lot of its luster.

recure

Established
So, how do you go day by day without google if you use a phone without android or ios? Assuming that you do have a non android and ios phone.
I'm a dumb gen z here...
You either find alternatives that are not as invasive, use a front-end to access Google when necessary, or simply learn to become less dependent on technology and more dependent on conventional means of doing things. However, it's not just Google you have to be wary of; it's every company with a shoddy privacy policy and a proven track record of mining and marketing user data (think Microsoft and Facebook).

It is possible to use Android without Google Services. I have a de-Googled custom Android ROM installed and generally have no problems though I occasionally get a notification telling me a certain app won't run properly without it. Most apps I use are FOSS and downloaded via F-Droid, but if I need to download the occasional app from the Google Play Store I use Aurora Store as a front-end and never download apps containing ads. There are decent alternatives for all Google products, I suggest visiting PrivacyTools and PRISM-Break and seeing what software alternatives they recommend in each category.

Maes17

Superstar
It's probably because of how much I've become to reliant on it. In school, a couple years ago, (I'm a freshmeat adult here) it was important to use technology. Now more than ever, students are reliant on technology to do work and learn. Also, its that fact all my friends and family are connected through world wide web. Family overseas, family who are about 1 an hour drive away, etc. The need to gain and pass information no matter how relevant or irrelevant it is. That's just my take on it, anyone else willing to add or disagree, welcome to.
Tech is ingrained in today’s culture now. For some tech is scary and for reasons I don’t blame. For others like you who have made it a standard, integrated part of living then carry on. Tech isn’t that scary to use tbh.

However my phone is an iphone xr. So in apple standards - outdated