Android or iPhone-- which do you prefer?

Android or iPhone?

• Android

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • iPhone

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Maes17

Superstar
You either find alternatives that are not as invasive, use a front-end to access Google when necessary, or simply learn to become less dependent on technology and more dependent on conventional means of doing things. However, it's not just Google you have to be wary of; it's every company with a shoddy privacy policy and a proven track record of mining and marketing user data (think Microsoft and Facebook).

It is possible to use Android without Google Services. I have a de-Googled custom Android ROM installed and generally have no problems though I occasionally get a notification telling me a certain app won't run properly without it. Most apps I use are FOSS and downloaded via F-Droid, but if I need to download the occasional app from the Google Play Store I use Aurora Store as a front-end and never download apps containing ads. There are decent alternatives for all Google products, I suggest visiting PrivacyTools and PRISM-Break and seeing what software alternatives they recommend in each category.
That’s my hesitation on becoming to reliant on tech. I find convenience in it but the shady privacy issues is something I keep an eye on

Simka

Established
I'm surprised ppl vote for Android. Why?
Android handily beats the iPhone because it provides a lot more flexibility, functionality, and freedom of choice. But still, a lot of people choose iPhones. That's why when it comes to the application creation, developers choose cross-platform web development. I've recently thought about doing this work by myself but understood that it is better to look for a company with a good software development team structure. Having a good idea for an application, I want it to be available both for Android and iOS users.

Last edited:

MR BEAN

Rookie
I almost only use my phone for calls/texts etc and listening to music on the go.
Wouldn't care to much if it was android or iphone. But I have android

Behumble

Established
Android

I had an iPhone at one point too but just hated the interface. I found it inflexible to perform simple tasks like go back (maybe I'm wasn't smart enough? lol) but also I detest their marketing strategies (great for them in terms of profit). You get suck into buying only apple products.

It would be great to find a none Google sign in phone as I am aware of all the data/security violations but unfortunately need a smart phone for convenience sakes. If paying for things didn't require doing it online I would certainly go for an old school brickie.

Dreamymoon

Established
I think android having both systems. The reasons being
1: apple store charges for games I’ve seen free on android
2: safer, I’ve had a few hacks on iTunes
3: recommendations easier to find it is on main screen
4: can customise your phone with themes and icons which apple can’t Like it used to..

moodychick

Established
The Anti-Smartphone Revolution ~ Coldfusion

13:23.
My phone is a dull Nuu flip phone. I only use it for calls and texts.
Smartphones are overwhelming. Those phones contain unnecessary apps and confusing features. I've people who become glum over social media pettiness. I'm fine with the so-called dumb phone.

Elsbet's Ire

Rookie
I'm suspicious of anything to do with Apple. Never liked Steve Jobs either. Plus they stole their name from the Beatles.
I had to look that up on wiki:

In 1978, Apple Corps, the Beatles-founded holding company and owner of their record label, Apple Records, filed a lawsuit against Apple Computer for trademark infringement. The suit was settled in 1981 with an undisclosed amount being paid to Apple Corps.​
Wiki

Who knew?

@elsbet's cat ^. .^