And People Thought Blatant Racism Didn't Exist Anymore

Etagloc

Superstar
Ok so are any white people going to call out H&M for their offensive ad or are we just going to twiddle our thumbs and clutch the bible?
Plasticity did.

So I am happy..... there needs to be more who are willing to denounce racism and who are willing to show that they too are against it.

Haich

Superstar
I don’t think H&M is racist company, but I do however think that H&M is run by white people and so that privilege will colour and influence everything they do. This is a prime example of how clueless and insensitive people can be.

As a football fan, I grew up hearing the word 'monkey' being shouted at my favourite players. It was considered a racial slur and is still deemed one. How then, given the history of its usage, can HM even excuse their adoption of such a loaded term?

Most of you are coming from a position of privilege, which allows you not to see the image as offensive, but that doesn’t mean that isn't. Why is it so hard for you to take off your rose coloured glasses and see how life is like for other people?

If you or your ancestors have never had your membership card to the human race revoked on the grounds of being sub-human or ape-like just so you could be sold as chattel, then you don’t get to tell those who have what is and isn’t offensive.

Your words are a projection of your neo-colonial way of thinking, it's a shame you can't see why this image caused uproar and I believe it's because you chose not to see it.

Etagloc

Superstar
God bless Lenin.... the man done wrote a whole book attacking and analyzing imperialism

his theories contributed to anti-imperialist movements across the world from Cuba to Vietnam.

I have read the book and it has contributed to understanding my own life and the things I myself have seen and experienced and had contributed to my own understanding.

And so..... I am sick and tired of Western imperialism and racism but...... Lenin and his work against imperialism is something that moves me. His book advocated for self-determination for minorities and he was a true friend to the oppressed.

And so I would never say all Europeans and European-descended people are the same. It is a tragedy that many have fallen into the temptation of unhealthy and dangerous mentalities. And those unhealthy and dangerous mentalities I do hate..... but I do not hate Europeans, nor could I hate them if I wanted to. I love everyone.

However, one has to be firm if others attempt to antagonize them.

The Zone

Star
Using the word monkey with a black person is notoriously racist.

It is really hard to have discussions here anymore; especially when people play the racist card so easily. Racism sucks no matter who is on the end of it. No good comes from it. People should fairly call it out or look in the mirror and ask whether they have issues with black, brown, white or any other shade.
global_distribution_of_skin_color.jpg

Plasticity

Rookie
That might look like a form of racism. But I would be more worried if the other kids had different humans on their sweaters, and the black kid the only one with the monkey.
By the looks of it, I think KF also pointed it out, all the other kids had different animals on their sweaters while the only black child got "being the coolest monkey in the jungle". It's not only racist but the pressing issue is how did they think they could get away with it?

Well, what I think you are saying right here is that black children should be discriminated and not treated like other children who get to wear clothing with references to monkeys. I don't think that black children should receive this discrimination or become burdened by labels used in the past.

So for me, this is about black children and white children having equality and not be distinguished according to color when they are modeling clothing that is common for children of this age. Do you have children? Have you ever shopped in the toddler section? Do you not know that monkeys are a very common character in children's clothing because when they learn to walk and move around, they climb all over things like monkeys.

“I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” (Martin Luther King Jr.)

I like to believe I live in the world Martin Luther King was talking about and make this my reality by not discriminating what children can wear because of their race.
Evidently, you've made assumptions about the statement in my original post, which referred to the historical evidence to black people being called a monkey, ignored my questions, and in turn, have asked me questions.

I have no children; however, I’m not sure how having them would make the difference in noticing racist undertones in an ad. Children are called many things, be a child or adult, calling a black person a monkey is racist. If you don’t understand or appreciate that, then there’s really nothing more to say about the matter.

Etagloc

Superstar
Even my mom taught me that it is not cool to call people monkey.... I had a white coworker who was nicknamed monkey and even that made my mom uncomfortable because she immediately associated it with the racist term.

Plasticity

Rookie
I don't know how good you are with history but a lot of the places the Arabs sent their armies to were under Persian or Byzantium control. The Persian and Byzantium empires had basically enslaved the Arabs but when the Arabs became a problem both empires tried getting rid of them and it was at this time they sent their armies out to rid other Arab territories of their masters the Persians and Romans. I don't think it's wrong fighting your enslavers especially when they, at the end, wanted you dead because you were becoming a "problem".

Really interesting how such a small group of Arabs were able to do what they did and all that for freedom from the Persians and Romans.

Lisa

Superstar
This statement tells me you acknowledge the ad is offensive, but you refuse to blame H&M and are calling out the parents for allowing the child's participation.

H y p o c r i s y
Did I acknowledge the ad was offensive?

Who let the kid be in the ad? H&M, or th parents? The parents could have refused to let their child be in the ad if they thought it was offensive don’t ya think?

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
What a dumb question. Do Jews like Norman Finkelstein and Noam Chomsky hate Jews when they criticize Israeli Jews?
Is it a dumb question? Obviously, the ad didn’t bother the parents of this child and they allowed him to be in it. They could have turned it down if they were offended and H&M could have found a different child whose parents would allow their child to be in the ad.

Thunderian

Superstar
I don't know how good you are with history but a lot of the places the Arabs sent their armies to were under Persian or Byzantium control. The Persian and Byzantium empires had basically enslaved the Arabs
There were Arabs in Europe under Persian or Byzantium control?