Alzheimer versus Schizophrenia

Zakat

Star
We thank God for Protecting us from both.

But what is the difference between the former and the latter?

I only know that one of those is a dreadful cause for nightmarish forgetfulness.

From what i know

- alzheimers/dementia mostly affects older people
Starts out with mild forgetfulness, then gets progressively worse.
The person can also have a short temper/anger issues,
There's brief periods in which the person seems normal, but then something like forgets who their child is.
Keeping the brain active and challenging it, doing puzzles, problem solving is supposedly a good way to prevent it or lower the chances of developing it

Ive heard in later stages the person's body "forgets" how to breathe and that is a cause of death.
(Source: my paternal grandmother had it, and my father also but he was still in a mild stage when he was killed)

- schizophrenia is diagnosed in young adults
Some people hear voices
Others just have very elaborate delusions or paranoia
Supposedly treated with medications and while on them people are completely functional
Some people think a cause is demonic possesion, don't know if it's ok to mention this outside the religion forum

(I don't know anyone with schizophrenia personally, so i could be wrong)

Zakat

Star
From what i know

- alzheimers/dementia mostly affects older people
Starts out with mild forgetfulness, then gets progressively worse.
The person can also have a short temper/anger issues,
There's brief periods in which the person seems normal, but then something like forgets who their child is.
Keeping the brain active and challenging it, doing puzzles, problem solving is supposedly a good way to prevent it or lower the chances of developing it

Ive heard in later stages the person's body "forgets" how to breathe and that is a cause of death.
(Source: my paternal grandmother had it, and my father also but he was still in a mild stage when he was killed)

Some people hear voices
Supposedly treated with medications and while on them people are completely functional
Some people think a cause is demonic possesion, don't know if it's ok to mention this outside the religion forum

Thanks! That was quite enlightening!

Zakat

Star
Al
THe
EYE
MEURRR

The The
Eye
Meurrr

Lòóks like my face to me!

Zakat

Star
I would rather be free from these diseases forever.

For every disease, there is an ease.

I pray that with a good death, everybody cease to suffer.

Flarepath

Star
I gave up using aluminium pots and pans years ago after seeing news items like these-

Alum-alzh.jpg

Alzheim-alum.jpg

PS- Our governments must already know about it, but are probably hushing it up to protect the aluminium industries.

Flarepath

Star
Some people hear voices
I knew a young schizophrenic bloke who lived in the same apartment block as me and I got on alright with him, but he had some odd ways.
For example he'd be walking down the street then suddenly stop and lay down on the pavement for a few minutes, then get up and start walking again.
Perhaps "voices" had told him to lay down, I dunno.
Another time I saw him in the city centre squatting down looking at something in his hand, so i went over and asked what he was doing, and he said "This is a radio wave detector, the enemy are beaming radio waves at me"
I glanced at the detector and sure enough, the needle was twitching away.
I pointed at the labour council town hall up the road and said "Them in there are probably doing it".
He thanked me and i said goodbye and departed..:)

Sometimes i wonder if those that are asleep think some of us conspiracy people are schizophrenic...

I found this guy's website and he was talking about people breaking in and replacing his books in order to make him think he was going crazy.

He had a different article talking about how "they" know your grocery shopping habits so they can poison the thing you're going to buy in the store, or replace the item in the store with the poisoned one.

Just in case, i decided to switch up my habits... but not the same way every time... you know, just in case "they" are real...

Flarepath

Star
Perhaps schizophrenics live in constant fear that people are out to get them, so perhaps that fear of death makes their paranoia and psychosis worse.
They forget that we ALL gotta die sometime, so why worry about it?..:)

Haich

Superstar
Both are horrendous illnessss. My brother in law is a schizophrenic. He was in year 9 and he was at school many moons ago. He started getting increasingly paranoid and thought his teacher was out to get him. After a few months of odd irrational behaviour, he brought a knife into school and threatened the teacher. He was sectioned straight after and diagnosed on the spot. Incredibly sad to see the side effects of his medication impair him. Whilst he is mentally free of the invasive thoughts and voices, he’s quite vacant and anxious as an adult. Almost autistic in his mannerisms.

My grandad is currently suffering from dementia and he’s had it for 6 years. He’s in adult nappies and has round the clock care. Doesn’t know who he is, where he is and what he’s doing. It’s tragic…

Haich

Superstar
I think some people are quick to dismiss mental illness as demonic possession but I’ve seen first hand this isn’t the case with schizophrenia and dementia.