according to ST:TNG...

Tubby Walters

Rookie
by 2036, it was outlawed to subjugate or condemn an ethnic group based on ancestral wrongs.

I took this to mean ethnic Europeans can't be blamed or held ill will against because of things like slavery and segregation from the past.

This was in the pilot episode "encounter at farpoint".

Star trek in general is often cited for its progressivism but many progressives in the real world today seem to not acknowledge this interesting point which I believe to be fair.

Thoughts?

polymoog

Superstar
Thoughts?
it could be europeans-- whites are the only bad guys these days. honestly, i do not think roddenberry and the other writers had a specific group in mind. i think it simply sounded good. i could be wrong.

i dont know where to look at that same episode, but didnt picard mention that there was a great war at around that date-- or at least Q conjured up some of the tatter-clothed survivors for the trial?
maybe the war was part of the predictive programming.

Bent8484

Established
That's a reference to the Eugenics War, which is World War 3 in the Trek timeline. It's about genetic modification (designer babies and engineered super soldiers controlled with drugs Jem'Hadar-style), not race. It leads to a post apocalyptic era, until Zefram Cochrane builds a warp capable ship and gets noticed by the Vulcans (see First Contact...but only after you're done TNG or beware of major spoilers). They form the Federation, and vow that humanity will never fight wars over internal differences again.

For more on the genetic modification stuff, watch Wrath of Khan or Deep Space Nine (can't tell you which episodes and why, as that would be a major spoiler, but genetic modification comes up in a big way... it's specifically about children not being held responsible for their parents' choice to have them altered genetically, which is illegal in the Federation. Everyone should watch DS9 anyway, it's the best Trek.).

Last edited:

polymoog

Superstar
it's specifically about children not being held responsible for their parents' choice to have them altered genetically,
talkin` dr. bashir?

Everyone should watch DS9 anyway, it's the best Trek.
absolutely... NOT! avery brooks has the personality of a wet noodle. i found the series dull. voyager was far better.

They form the Federation, and vow that humanity will never fight wars over internal differences again.