A Swedish Start-up Has Started Implanting Microchips Into Its Employees

Would you like to have NFC chip injected?

• Sure!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Qedr

Rookie
The news appeared on Monday, I wonder why it wasn't posted here yet.

The syringe slides in between the thumb and index finger. Then, with a click, a microchip is injected in the employee's hand. Another "cyborg" is created.

What could pass for a dystopian vision of the workplace is almost routine at the Swedish startup hub Epicenter. The company offers to implant its workers and startup members with microchips the size of grains of rice that function as swipe cards: to open doors, operate printers, or buy smoothies with a wave of the hand.

The injections have become so popular that workers at Epicenter hold parties for those willing to get implanted.

"The biggest benefit I think is convenience," said Patrick Mesterton, co-founder and CEO of Epicenter. As a demonstration, he unlocks a door by merely waving near it. "It basically replaces a lot of things you have, other communication devices, whether it be credit cards or keys."

Rest of the article at:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/03/start-up-epicenter-implants-employees-with-microchips.html

The article says the chip doesn't differ much from credit card as it's based on the same NFC technology. In fact, this is the correct comparison as the chip is a passive device which "wakes up" upon the contact with chip reader. It cannot collect data, so we can treat this chip more like a key or access card. But imo it doesn't make this any safer. All data is stored and processed in data centres, they can be used in any way the company wants. It can be hacked, stolen, destroyed. Imagine the chaos when the responsible servers go down and employees cannot access anything in their office.

But what's more worrying is that people agree to just sell their privacy in the name of progress. I have an ID badge in my job which registers all my passing through the gates, so I'm familiar with the idea but the thing is I can put it away while I'm working or after my working hours. You cannot put away the chip.

Now you can use the chip to register your arrival in office and taking breaks, to buy drinks more conveniently. What's next? Getting your car started or taking the public transport ticket? Making all payments? Apart of whole "Mark of the Beast" thing (not that I don't believe it) I find it very risky. Just imagine everything you do stored as big data with some ID available for all companies that wish to use it (not that you even have a choice to not disclose your data to third parties lol, you agreed the licence terms). That all in the name of convenience, like spending 10 additional seconds of time is such a pain.

What's your opinion on this matter?

Verbal_Kint

Rookie
Is it just me or are things spoken of in The Book of Revelation popping up more frequently? I remember them always sort of being there, in the news, but more about unrest in the Middle East, earthquakes and so on & I'd think to myself, "phew the chip (mark of the beast) in the forehead or hand is just never gonna happen" and now it is...

Qedr

Rookie
So gross that they like it, as if convenience is worth sovereignty over your own body.
I suppose that whether they like it is not important. They won't allow an employee to tell the journalist "I don't like it but I needed to do it anyway because of management pressure" or sth.

Is it just me or are things spoken of in The Book of Revelation popping up more frequently? I remember them always sort of being there, in the news, but more about unrest in the Middle East, earthquakes and so on & I'd think to myself, "phew the chip (mark of the beast) in the forehead or hand is just never gonna happen" and now it is...
Talking of RFID/NFC chips injection in humans has been around for many years already. Some news about "they put chips in people" popped out from time to time, but I think this is the first time the whole company gathering around 400 ppl admitted to injecting it.
Opinions will be mixed, like "this is THE future", "we're entering a new era", "end of days", "666" but public will accept injecting chips as a new fad, which will turn into routine action. I hope the future proves me wrong ;)

SkepticCat

Veteran
What's your opinion on this matter?
My opinion is since people are so gullible they're blindly accepting all the various obvious government frauds and are just laughing at 'Illuminati conspiracy' I'm not the least surprised to learn of this (this is far from the first case of microchipping, by the way, it's already being widely rolled out).

The system is openly telling us we're living in a police state. People don't care, however, and are so completely certain the government is on their side they don't see this. Most people have not bothered researching stuff like 'WTC7' despite 'Illuminati' becoming a buzzword in entertainment. I think it's deeply illogical not more people are looking at conspiracies more critically. It is understandable only from a perspective of loss of perception regarding what matters. An uneducated, apathetic populace will be ruled by tyrants.

Here's a 2002 image from the streets of London:

This wasn't too long after the 9/11 hoax so people were frightened. Nonetheless, this should still have caused a huge red flag (and some did take offense with this, but obviously nowhere near enough). The biggest problem is that even now in 2017 when you show people this they still don't realize what's happening... completely blatantly 1984 Orwellian and people just shrug at it. They also hear of the 1% and the 99%, still no dots are connected. The false flags are ignored, Pizzagate is ignored. Everything is conveniently written off as 'conspiracy theory'. So yeah, sure, of course these people will go for a microchip in the arm for convenience. If you aren't thinking in conspiratorial terms, microchipping appears much less offensive. The real problem is thus people's ignorance about these 'theories' more than the microchipping itself.

I really don't know what to do. Far more people should be realizing what's going on but are not. How to proceed? In a sane world we'd be overthrowing governments worldwide, tomorrow, and that's even if you don't subscribe to the most 'out there' theories. Just the wealth distribution and the massive surveillance apparatus - things that people know about and accept as reality - are cause enough alone to reject this whole system. Why accept a system that we know puts almost all wealth into the hands of a few, and a system that spends enormous sums of money on the "defense budget"? That engages in over-the-top Orwellian surveillance yet still repeatedly fails to thwart 'terrorist attacks'? It doesn't make sense. People need to wake up and become a lot smarter than just continuously agreeing to vote for either Trump or Clinton, red or blue.

Are you people putting some of VC's material on social media accounts or engaging in other forms of activism? This kind of information should be circulated widely but especially targetted at those as high up in the system as can still be trusted. If more high-ups, especially in the media, started discussing conspiracy material it could really cause a domino effect.

mecca

Superstar
Why accept a system that we know puts almost all wealth into the hands of a few, and a system that spends enormous sums of money on the "defense budget"? That engages in over-the-top Orwellian surveillance yet still repeatedly fails to thwart 'terrorist attacks'? It doesn't make sense. People need to wake up and become a lot smarter than just continuously agreeing to vote for either Trump or Clinton, red or blue.
So true.

Vixy

Star
That's cause we're living in the end times, my friend!

About the article: "biologically safe"! LOL! If it IS the M.O.B. (mark of the beast) its pretty fckin far from safe!

Vixy

Star
But to all of you that wants to stop this development, remember god said this has to happen for the prophecies to be fulfilled so we'll just have to bare this. Not much to do but enlighten people about gods word.

Qedr

Rookie
Maybe not, if people refuse to use it.
Yes, but looking from point of average person's view there is no reason to refuse such technology:
1. You can make payments anywhere, without need of physical money, or credit card - no need to carry your wallet at all. That also means you cannot lose it or have it stolen from you.
2. RFID/NFC chip can be programmed using smartphone to be also your house/car/office locker key. You cannot lose it!
3. ID card? Car license? What's that? I have my chip which can prove my identity perfectly! I cannot become any identity fraud crime victim, because no one can steal it!

What are the cons you can figure out, I can name a few:
1. Total loss of anonymity. Dude, how will you pay for your weed? (jk of course, but I hope you grasp the rule). Even if the chip is not a tracking device (NFC technology doesn't allow that) all your activities are logged in the services history, so police or intelligence can track you down easily.
2. You become totally dependent on electronic devices. First case, you fall down on your wrist and the chip breaks. How you can replace it if all your ID data is stored in a chip? There's no proof that you is you... ok, there are fingerprints so this is not such a big deal, but imagine what happens when data storage servers go down. No one can buy, sell, access his home, provide ID. Chips AFAIK don't store such info, just provide token ID which is later used to download data from servers - similar like credit cards work, that's why there are dependent on back-end infrastructure. This may happen from sun storm, hacker attack or simple human error (accidental "delete" :D yeah it's actually possible).
3. If you refuse for chip injection, you don't exist. Simple as that.

Also looking at cheerfulness of all advertisements I can say that only pros will be highlighted (and maybe 3rd con from my list as a threat). Looking at recent act in Poland which ordered to register all SIM cards with our IDs I can relate it a bit to the chip idea. Everybody knew this is a bullshit ("antiterrorist law" as they said) and did not provide any more safety (you can go to any bum, give them 50PLN and ask to make you a SIM card registered on their ID). But when telephone operators advertised 1000000 free minutes and 500 GB (jk) everybody stopped giving a damn, except for a few people moaning on Twitter. Eventually every phone number is registered, so the mass surveillance is officialy allowed. Same idea might succeed with microchips. Announce the new law, shut resistance's mouths with goodies (free bank account, some money to spend in hypermarket etc), execute the law, the end.

Looking at newest article on VC, the Lollapalooza (whatever) idea of cashless payments went as close as possible to microchip implant without crossing the line.

SheWatches

Rookie
And I thought businesses that forced you to take samples of your hair, fingernails or do a pee test was bad enough. I personally can't stand this transhumanist crap. Even Stephen Hawking, who knows his life depends on technology, warned of the need to always be in control of that technology, especially when it comes to the sovereignty of our bodies. I may not be Christian but this is an example of the Mark of the Beast for sure. I even hate that corporate word 'brand' or 'branding' when used to describe how people represent themselves.

Whether it's this stuff or telemarketers calling your phone all day long - corporations have gotten too invasive in people's lives.

Qedr

Rookie
All these RFID micro chips and wrist bands are not a good thing.This nonsense needs to be band.
The technology itself is fine. It's very useful in for example warehousing or as a security enhancement in IT sector. The problem is using the technology on (or rather against) human. It clearly objectifies people. The important factor to keep it healthy is to know the boundary, where security & safety becomes surveillance.

SheWatches

Rookie
Remember when chipping your pet (at least in the US) was introduced as a way to keep track of your pets? Some people think nothing of it but I remember clearly how almost a month later those who introduced pet chipping thru national media suggested, "Wouldn't it be great to do this to your kids, in case they got lost or abducted?" I thought even ID chipping animals was creepy, unless they're an endangered species, but that's how they introduce this stuff, through using people's fear as a way to rationalize its use.

Maryjane2.0

Rookie
Honestly they are preparing people for it already, look at watches and phones. I see people pay with them all the time, whether it be convenience or fad, idk, I'm not interested. Lol

Last edited: