A Sin Is A Sin?

Damien50

Star
I would believe that some sins are greater in their negativeness than others. From an Islamic point of view if you die all sins can be forgiven except for idol worship or in other words setting up equals and partners to the Most High (if maintained until death).
I get that and could agree with it but I'm talking really situational like a person intentionally stealing and kind of being forced to do so to feed their family.

The straight and narrow isn't always available.

I don't we as people can accurately judge sin tio properly punish someone because we don't know what transpires in anyone's minds to accurately assess any situation. I see that as part of the reason why God doesn't ask us to judge, it's hypocritical and not something we're capable of.

Kung Fu

Superstar
I get that and could agree with it but I'm talking really situational like a person intentionally stealing and kind of being forced to do so to feed their family.

I don't we as people can accurately judge sin tio properly punish someone because we don't know what transpires in anyone's minds to accurately assess any situation. I see that as part of the reason why God doesn't ask us to judge, it's hypocritical and not something we're capable of.
I see what you mean.

Islamically there are rules put in place in order to judge the difference between a person stealing due to being forced or stealing just for the thrill of it.

If we as a people can't accurately judge sin how are we supposed to govern ourselves in order for us live in a safe and reasonable society? Yes, we can't judge in terms of the next life but in this life, we have to be able to judge sins and weigh them to a certain degree in order to have a coherent and functioning society.

Lisa

Superstar

Is anyone forced to steal to feed their families? Or do they think that's the only way they can come up with? When, maybe the should have prayed and asked God first?

Lisa

Superstar
I'm just asking do the circumstances of sin matter?
And I answered you...is anyone forced to come up with the answers they get? Or do they believe that is the only answer? Do they believe that sin is the only answer in their lives?

Lisa

Superstar
You didn't answer, you side stepped. Kung fu answered you didn't.

You are probably the most irritating internet existence I have ever encountered.
I did answer, does anyone really have to turn to sin for the answers in their lives? You may have a something bad happen but do you really have to steal to put food on the table? That's all I'm saying. And if you believe in God, why not pray and get the right answer from Him?

Kung Fu

Superstar
You may have a something bad happen but do you really have to steal to put food on the table?
Forget a table, people don't even a home to sleep in. Your answer tells me a lot about you. Lisa, the world doesn't revolve around your little bubble.

Lisa

Superstar
Forget a table, people don't even a home to sleep in. Your answer tells me a lot about you. Lisa, the world doesn't revolve around your little bubble.
He mentioned food...so that was what I was replying to. I still say prayer is the answer to all things, God cares for us and He wants to help us all we have to do is ask....

Haich

Superstar
still say prayer is the answer to all things, God cares for us and He wants to help us all we have to do is ask....
If a poor man is desperate to feed his family, God won't throw a piece of bread from the heavens. Prayer is one thing but reality is another. Some places don't have food banks or charities to provide poor families with food, so what if that poor man prayed but nothing happened? Then he stole some food from a market stall to feed his family?

Personally I wouldn't consider that a sin, as he was desperate and I don't believe God would punish the man for feeding his family.

We think of sin as too literal, we need to remember people are sometimes desperate and will do sinful things to survive...

Lisa

Superstar
If a poor man is desperate to feed his family, God won't throw a piece of bread from the heavens. Prayer is one thing but reality is another. Some places don't have food banks or charities to provide poor families with food, so what if that poor man prayed but nothing happened? Then he stole some food from a market stall to feed his family?

Personally I wouldn't consider that a sin, as he was desperate and I don't believe God would punish the man for feeding his family.

We think of sin as too literal, we need to remember people are sometimes desperate and will do sinful things to survive...
My point is do they have to do sinful things to survive? There are no other choices that don't include sinning? I don't know about that. God might not throw a piece of bread from the heavens, but he does have other ways that He operates and He does open doors for people. If He wasn't trustworthy, no one would follow Him.

Again, hypothetical questions are never very good indicators of God and what God would do. You are following the assumption that the man would pray and God would do nothing. I don't think that would happen, but then I guess the assumption is that if God does nothing we have every right to go right ahead and sin because we are sinning for good, when God tells us that sin is bad. So there is no sin that is actually good since God says sin is bad. He doesn't say, O btw when things get bad and you don't feel that I'm listening go ahead and do a good sin...it's always Trust God! Trust God! Trust God! God cares for you, you can Trust God!

Haich

Superstar
Is anyone forced to steal to feed their families?
Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you and your husband lost your jobs, couldn't afford to live in your home, were eventually made homeless and had nothing to your name? I know it's a pretty extreme example but there are many people out there in that situation. Would you steal a loaf of bread then? If so, would Jesus/God deem that a sin?

Lisa

Superstar
Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you and your husband lost your jobs, couldn't afford to live in your home, were eventually made homeless and had nothing to your name? I know it's a pretty extreme example but there are many people out there in that situation. Would you steal a loaf of bread then? If so, would Jesus/God deem that a sin?
Again, its a hypothetical question. I don't know what I would do if that were the case. It was almost the case at one time and I prayed and God helped me. So, that is what I would do again and trust God to help me. That is what faith is all about. It's not about trying to figure out the answers on your own and probably coming up with a bad answer...but its trusting in God even when times are bad because God says He will help us. And really He is the only One that can help us with our problems. He is the only One that knows the right way to solve them and in His helping you, your faith grows...so I would say that it is wrong to rely upon yourself or sin to help you.

rainerann

Star
Is a sin a sin or are there circumstances to take into account?
Yes, there are circumstances to take into account. According to the law, there was a rule for judging when a person commits a sin unintentionally (Leviticus 5). The person was not even to be considered guilty until he recognized that he had sinned. This wasn't in regard to stealing, adultery, or murder; however, you can't really do any of those things unintentionally. This would be for when a person has a relative that has some sort of skin infection that makes them unclean and somehow they touch this person and become unclean without realizing it because their relative doesn't realize they are unclean yet either so they are over at your house hanging out. Skin diseases are described in Leviticus 13. Anyways, so the person would not be guilty until they realized this had happened. Then they would have to bring an offering in order to recognize that the Lord has commanded requiring Israel to distinguish between the clean and the unclean.

Therefore, there is a scale that is used to judge a person with. It is described in the New Testament this way, "Every unrighteous action is sin, but there is a sin that does not result in death,"(1 John 5:17).

Haich

Superstar
My point is do they have to do sinful things to survive? There are no other choices that don't include sinning? I don't know about that. God might not throw a piece of bread from the heavens, but he does have other ways that He operates and He does open doors for people. If He wasn't trustworthy, no one would follow Him.

Again, hypothetical questions are never very good indicators of God and what God would do. You are following the assumption that the man would pray and God would do nothing. I don't think that would happen, but then I guess the assumption is that if God does nothing we have every right to go right ahead and sin because we are sinning for good, when God tells us that sin is bad. So there is no sin that is actually good since God says sin is bad. He doesn't say, O btw when things get bad and you don't feel that I'm listening go ahead and do a good sin...it's always Trust God! Trust God! Trust God! God cares for you, you can Trust God!
Lol no your misunderstood, if someone is desperate they will steal food, you may not have witnessed it but i have. I've seen people begging for food outside train stations and I think you probably just haven't seen how rife poverty is in certain areas. The point I was trying to make is we can't be absolute on sin as there are cases where it may be a means to survive...

Lisa

Superstar
Lol no your misunderstood, if someone is desperate they will steal food, you may not have witnessed it but i have. I've seen people begging for food outside train stations and I think you probably just haven't seen how rife poverty is in certain areas. The point I was trying to make is we can't be absolute on sin as there are cases where it may be a means to survive...
You can be absolute on sin. God says that all sin and fall short of the glory of God. There are no good sins. We only think there are bad sins, worse sins and good sins. To God its all sin.