A question for Muslims and Christians

phipps

Star
Thank you for your answer.

But why did God create the concept of free will and serving him with love? Why did God create Lucifer, angels, and Adam knowing that giving them these concepts (love, serving, betrayal) would cause a war between good and evil, and so much pain that was and is present in this world?
The concept of love and serving and free will is only understood by us humans (and lucifer and angels) God is beyond that, and he can create unthinkable realities and concepts. Why settle with the creation of Lucifer and the mentioned concepts?
I apologise about how long this post is going to be. Yours is not a question that can be answered in a few sentences.

You should read the book of Job. There are a lot of lessons to be learnt from that book. In the book of Job we read about a faithful servant of God who was very wealthy. he loses everything. His children, his wealth, he has trials in his marriage and then to add insult to injury, he gets a grievous disease where he has sores all over his body.

His wife tells him to curse God and die and his friends basically tell him that he must have committed some sin that God is punishing him for. However, Job being the obedient and faithful servant of God denies it. He doesn't know why he is suffering but he knows God allowed all that calamity to happen to him.

So Job asks God a few questions to explain to him why he is suffering so much. Here are two of those questions.

"Only do not two things unto me: then will I not hide myself from thee. Withdraw thine hand far from me: and let not thy dread make me afraid. Then call thou, and I will answer: or let me speak, and answer thou me. How many are mine iniquities and sins? make me to know my transgression and my sin" (Job13:20-23).

"Oh that I knew where I might find him! that I might come even to his seat! I would order my cause before him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which he would answer me, and understand what he would say unto me. Will he plead against me with his great power? No; but he would put strength in me. There the righteous might dispute with him; so should I be delivered for ever from my judge" (Job 23:3-7).

Finally God answers Job in chapters 38-39. But God's answers are questions too.

Who laid the foundations of the earth?
How were the dimensions determined?
Who did the surveying?
What supports its foundation?
Who laid the cornerstone?
Who decreed the boundaries of the sea?
Who clothed them with clouds and thick darkness?

Who barred them limiting their shores?
Have you commanded the morning to appear?
Did you cause daylight to spread?
Did you end the night for the wicked?
Have you ever robed the dawn in red?
Have you disturbed the haunts of wicked men?

Have you stopped the arm raised to strike?
Have you explored the springs that come from the sea?
Have you walked in the recesses of the deep?
Do you know the location of the gates of death?
Do you know the extent of the earth?

Do you know where light comes from?
Do you know how it got there?
Do you know about darkness?
Do you know where darkness comes from?
Can you find its source?
Can you go to its source?

Have you visited the treasuries of snow?
Do you know where hail is made and stored?
Where is the path to the distribution point of light
Where is the home of the East wind?

Who dug gullies for the rains?
Who laid out the path for lightning?
Do you know if rain has a father?
Where does dew come from?
Who is the mother of ice and frost?
Can you hold back the stars?
Can you restrain Orion and Pleiades?

Can you ensure the proper sequences of seasons?
Can you guide the constellation of the bear?
Do you know the laws of the universe?
How do the heavens influence the earth?
Can you shout to the clouds and make it rain?
Can you make lightning appear?

Who gives intuition and instinct?
Who is wise enough to number the clouds?
Who can tilt the water jars of heaven?
Can you stalk prey like a lion?
Who provides for the ravens?
Do you know how mountain goats give birth?

Do you know how many months of pregnancy?
Who makes the wild donkey wild?
Will the wild ox be your servant?
Will he stay by your feeding crib?
Can you use a wild ox to plow with?
Will he pull the harrow for you?

Will you let him decide where to work?
Can you send him out to bring in the grain?
Have you deprived the ostrich of wisdom?
Did you make the ostrich swifter than a horse?
Have you given the horse strength?

Have you clothed his neck with a mane?
Have you made him able to leap like a locust?
Do you know how a hawk soars?
Is it in your command to raise eagles high?

God does not give Job reasons for why he allowed him to suffer so much in his life. God asked Job questions in order to remind him that His ways are often beyond our understanding. Some people try to melt God down and put Him in a test tube so they can define Him and understand Him, but this is a mistake. The Bible says, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways" (Isaiah 55:9). When we humans ask a question, it's usually because we're lacking information. God, on the other hand, knows everything. He's omniscient; nothing is a mystery for Him. When God asks questions, He doesn't ask them because He doesn't know the answers. He asks us deep, penetrating questions because He wants us to think. When God asks us a question, we really need to sit up and pay attention. When He tells us, "Come now, and let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18), the Lord is inviting us to ponder along with the Almighty! What a privilege. We don't have all the answers as to why He did certain things. We will have to wait to get those answers after Jesus returns a second time. In the mean time what we do know about God is enough for us to be faithful and believe in Him with all out hearts, minds and souls.

Romans 1:20 says, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:"

I think its only right I end with what Job said in Job 42:1-6. "Then Job answered the Lord and said: “I know that You can do everything, and that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know. Listen, please, and let me speak; You said, ‘I will question you, and you shall answer Me.’ “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.” God bless.

mecca

Superstar
But why did God create the concept of free will and serving him with love? Why did God create Lucifer, angels, and Adam knowing that giving them these concepts (love, serving, betrayal) would cause a war between good and evil, and so much pain that was and is present in this world?
The concept of love and serving and free will is only understood by us humans (and lucifer and angels) God is beyond that, and he can create unthinkable realities and concepts. Why settle with the creation of Lucifer and the mentioned concepts?
The books don't explain that part. No one actually knows why things are the way that they are... we just try to figure it out the best we can.

Vytas

Star
Thank you for your answer.
I think concept of free will was created so that we have a choice. If we are to spend eternity in God presence, how about we prove first that we actually want that.
I don't think love was created. God always existed so good always existed.
We are creating all pain meaning humanity under influence of satan, God only allows things to happen.
God is not beyond free will or love. Not in the bible at least, don't know about quran...He has regrets feelings disappointments etc. We a re created in his image, and i doubt it's about physical features.
He created lucifer not satan, satan created himself... You could make out of yourself murderous maniac if you wanted, would God be responsible for that too ? You remind me certain gnostic here :)