A Few Concepts To Help Us Better Understand This World...

Helioform

Star
Last edited:

justjess

Superstar
So I guess my question is what argument are you trying to make? On face value, yes those are pretty solid principles - psychological and otherwise. However, when read closely there is a bias present is their presentation as well.

So what are you trying to use them to say?

Helioform

Star
So I guess my question is what argument are you trying to make? On face value, yes those are pretty solid principles - psychological and otherwise. However, when read closely there is a bias present is their presentation as well.

So what are you trying to use them to say?
I don't really see how they can be biased since they are just concepts. They have also been simplified for the sake of Twitter...

Taken together I would say that they explain pretty well what happens in politics and in information systems such as the internet and the mass media. I am especially interested in Anentiodromia, and how the whole left/right false dichotomy simply leads to unbalanced back and forth movement between the two extremes as time goes on. Yet we continue to elect parties that are simply the opposite of the previous ones because they were corrupt, not realizing that we do so just because we ignore long term history and only focus on recent events.

justjess

Superstar
The examples given all lean a certain way and are “leading” to a certain world view. Would have been better to leave the principles without currently hot button examples or atleast to give examples from opposing perspectives.

There are probably like a million different psychological principles at play in politics and media at any given moment so I have to question why these specific ones were chosen and others left out. In light of the example issue previously mentioned.. im skeptical of the authors intentions.