A basic five minute introduction to Buddhism:

shankara

Star
buddhism debunked in one sentence.

to reach enlightenment one must not desire, but u desire enlightenment.
To confirm what @Gnome said, actually any kind of desire for positive states of mind like bliss is considered an obstacle. Not to mention the fact that in the Mahayana there is the idea of the Bodhisattva, who remains in Samsara to help sentient beings rather than entering Nirvana, so it's not even possible to speak of desire for Nirvana. Anyway, the enemy is not desire itself, hence why we use desire on the path in the Vajrayana. The problem is egoistic desire, wanting things which cause ourselves and others suffering.

Is there a 'Buddhist Bible' dating back to Buddha's time (500 BC) that we can consult to see if he really did say stuff?
There are many, many Sutras, such as the Heart Sutra, the Lotus Sutra, the Lankavatara Sutra. In fact there is a huge body of literature, more than the Bible.

Tidal

Star
Tidal asked- Is there a 'Buddhist Bible' dating back to Buddha's time (500 BC) that we can consult to see if he really did say stuff?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many, many Sutras, such as the Heart Sutra, the Lotus Sutra, the Lankavatara Sutra. In fact there is a huge body of literature, more than the Bible.
Ah, but with Christianity we can simply consult a small slimline gospel to see what Jesus said, and I was hoping that there was a similar genuine small book of Buddha's quotes that we can consult.
For example I quoted Buddha from a book in an earlier post and somebody said "Buddha never said that, it's a fake quote", so we don't know where we stand as to what Buddha did or didn't say.

Gnome

Rookie
Tidal asked- Is there a 'Buddhist Bible' dating back to Buddha's time (500 BC) that we can consult to see if he really did say stuff?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, but with Christianity we can simply consult a small slimline gospel to see what Jesus said, and I was hoping that there was a similar genuine small book of Buddha's quotes that we can consult.
For example I quoted Buddha from a book in an earlier post and somebody said "Buddha never said that, it's a fake quote", so we don't know where we stand as to what Buddha did or didn't say.
Easy, read the Dhammapada

shankara

Star
Thanks, who wrote it, Buddha himself?
Buddha didn't write, people wrote down His discourses. The Dhammapada is a collection of his sayings, accepted by pretty much all Buddhist schools. There were a number of different schools of philosophy which developed based on Buddha's teachings, in particular the Theravada, Mahayana and Vajrayana, though there are perhaps other possible ways of classifying them. The Mahayana is also the fundamental philosophy of the Vajrayana, they just use different techniques, and the latter is said to bring Enlightenment in one life. Different schools place emphasis on different discourses, though they don't generally reject the teachings of the other schools, they just have their own ways of approaching things.

Aero

Superstar
I would pick Samsara over Nirvana.

Of course, I was super attention-starved as a kid. So it's no mystery why I'm so attached to things. Sometimes I'm convinced that my childhood wasn't really lived, but designed. Like I literally got more attention from spooks than my own parents.

Buddhism might argue that being a ghost would get old. Well, I'm here to argue, what if being a ghost was the only way to really feel alive? That sounds like the definition of a bad news complex. Bad news, and seemingly unsolvable. It's like being attached to the act of being detached.

Gnome

Rookie
I would pick Samsara over Nirvana.

Of course, I was super attention-starved as a kid. So it's no mystery why I'm so attached to things. Sometimes I'm convinced that my childhood wasn't really lived, but designed. Like I literally got more attention from spooks than my own parents.

Buddhism might argue that being a ghost would get old. Well, I'm here to argue, what if being a ghost was the only way to really feel alive? That sounds like the definition of a bad news complex. Bad news, and seemingly unsolvable. It's like being attached to the act of being detached.
Interesting view. Being a ghost (in the western sense) would grow to be tiring though wouldn't it?

Aero

Superstar
Being a ghost (in the western sense) would grow to be tiring though wouldn't it?
Perhaps. I suppose it depends on the parameters of ghosthood. If being a ghost meant our soul existed in some kind of limbo, and one could no longer attain knowledge it would get old. But it seems like a person or a ghost might never stop learning. So maybe it's best to pose a rhetorical question. Does learning ever get old? Like has anyone ever legitimately said, I've learned everything possible to be learned, so I'm done!

You might be onto something, the Bodhisattva does not enter Nirvana.
Yeah, I like the idea of being a Buddhist Saint.