4 day work week

polymoog

Superstar
a great spin to be a lazy SOB.
"yeah man, i dont work all week so i can save the planet even more."

------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/21/help-the-planet-work-a-four-day-week?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Paper straws won’t save the planet – we need a four-day week

Working less would massively reduce our carbon footprint, and bring many other benefits besides

When the Extinction Rebellion protesters took to the streets, I was doubtful about how effective their tactics would be in creating meaningful change. Fortunately, I have been proven wrong. Following their protests, the public now sees the climate crisis as a pressing issue. According to a recent survey, nearly 70% of people in the UK want urgent action on the climate emergency. Many political leaders are listening. In one of her last acts as prime minister, Theresa May set the target of the UK achieving zero carbon emissions by 2050. Although the date for zero carbon could be much sooner, it is an important step in the right direction.
However, to achieve a more ecologically sustainable economy, changing minds will not be enough, we need to change behaviours. Small tweaks such as not using plastic straws or minimising food waste will make some difference. But if we hope to make real progress, we need to make bigger alterations in what we do. One behaviour change that will have a positive impact on the environment is a four-day working week.

According to a cluster of recent studies, working less is good for the environment. One analysis found that if we spent 10% less time working, our carbon footprint would be reduced by 14.6%. If we cut the hours we work by 25% – or a day and a quarter each week – our carbon footprint would decline by 36.6%. Another study found that if people in the US (who work notoriously long hours) worked similar hours to Europeans (who work much less), then they would consume about 20% less energy. A more recent analysis of US states found a strong positive relationship between the number of hours people worked and their carbon emissions. The more they worked, the more they polluted. Working a four-day week, rather than, say, taking more holidays or working fewer hours each day, was a great way of reducing your environmental impact. The exact magnitude of that reduction is unclear, but the research seems to point in the same direction: lowering the number of hours we work would help to reduce our impact on the environment.
By working less, we produce fewer goods and services that require precious resources to make. We also consume less in the process of getting our job done. Less work means less carbon-intensive commuting, less energy-sucking office space, and less time on power-hungry computer systems. In addition, working less would help to break down the work-spend cycle. Fewer hours at work mean we have more time to do other things such as travelling, preparing food or fixing broken household items. We are also less likely to rely on environmentally costly timesavers such as high-speed travel or takeaway food delivered in plastic containers by someone riding a motorbike.

Working less gives people a palpable short-term payoff of free time while benefiting the environment in the longer term​
But reducing the number of working hours would not guarantee a cut in environmental emissions. It could actually be bad for the climate if people used their newfound free time to do things which were more environmentally harmful. Instead of working, they could travel long distances on holiday or hit the shops. The good news is that there is some evidence that when people are given time off, they tend to gravitate towards low environmental impact activities. When France instituted a 35-hour working week in 2000, people developed less materialistic values and tended to use their free time with their families, resting or participating in sports or cultural events.
To ensure people choose activities with a low environmental impact, we need to provide an “infrastructure of conviviality”. That means good quality public facilities that allow people to use their time in fun ways that aren’t taxing on the planet. Examples of convivial infrastructure include parks, libraries, allotments, walking and cycling tracks, community halls and sports grounds.
Reducing the time we spend working would be welcomed by many. A recent UK poll found that 74% of people supported a four-day week. Experiments with the shorter working week dating back to the 1970s found that employees tended to be more satisfied with their job. More recent research has found that less time spent at work would also help to deal with other problems such as making work more accessible for women, reducing inequalities between overworked and underworked and making organisations more productive. A range of organisations including a small UK law firm, some public schools in the US and a New Zealand insurance company are experimenting with the policy.
As we struggle to find ways of making our world more sustainable, we need to identify innovations that give us tangible gains in the short term but are also good for the planet in the longer term. All too often measures to address the climate crisis seem too abstract, too distant and too painful. Working less is different. It gives people a palpable short-term payoff of free time while benefiting the environment in the longer term. A shorter working week could be one of those changes that is both great for the planet but also good for us in a way that you don’t need to be a climate scientist to understand.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Who would have thought this ^^^ would be for real now?

Furthermore, there was something in the article that provoked me to think that the 4-day work week, heretofore, a movement on the fringe, might actually gain tract in some countries and may come to define work-life, post pandemic.

Ireland and Finland

DavidSon

Star
Who would have thought this ^^^ would be for real now?

Sorry to be the contrarian again but this is another nuanced topic. I forgot to reply to polymoog that a 4 day work week is a more human and healthy system of organizing our time. I'm sure you know but many forget the US senate once passed a bill for a 30 hour work week. A few companies like Kellog's put the initiatives into effect, and they recorded increased productivity in less work hours:

When America Came "This Close" to Establishing a 30 Hour Workweek

As you know I loathe the IMF and WEF but they're correct that the current model of capitalism (can we even call it that anymore?) was imploding even before the pandemic. 5% of the population own 75% of all wealth. If we adjust for inflation today's minimum wage should be something like $23/hour. We've discussed in other threads that since 1980, because of automation and other advancements, production has skyrocketed but the profits only trickled through to an elite minority.

So the old-timey corporate Republican meme of slaving away for 40 hours a week to "earn a living" is a lie. Nowadays both parents are working, sometimes two jobs to make ends meet. Working people have become serfs for the oligarchy and it's a preposterous joke. From the article above:

At a time when workers produced a tenth of what they do today, William Howard Taft, a conservative Republican, argued that all workers needed two or three months of holiday time each year to improve health, family connections and productivity. Yet, more than a hundred years later, Americans average two weeks of paid vacation and a quarter of us get none at all.

A last thing I would say to @polymoog is I don't advocate laziness or apathy. Any talent takes commitment to bring to fruition. Something you love might take 70 or 80 hours a week. But to keep the basic functions of society operating... we're out of balance and the conversation about possibilities has to continue.

Karlysymon

Superstar
Sorry to be the contrarian again but this is another nuanced topic. I forgot to reply to polymoog that a 4 day work week is a more human and healthy system of organizing our time. I'm sure you know but many forget the US senate once passed a bill for a 30 hour work week. A few companies like Kellog's put the initiatives into effect, and they recorded increased productivity in less work hours:

When America Came "This Close" to Establishing a 30 Hour Workweek

As you know I loathe the IMF and WEF but they're correct that the current model of capitalism (can we even call it that anymore?) was imploding even before the pandemic. 5% of the population own 75% of all wealth. If we adjust for inflation today's minimum wage should be something like $23/hour. We've discussed in other threads that since 1980, because of automation and other advancements, production has skyrocketed but the profits only trickled through to an elite minority.

So the old-timey corporate Republican meme of slaving away for 40 hours a week to "earn a living" is a lie. Nowadays both parents are working, sometimes two jobs to make ends meet. Working people have become serfs for the oligarchy and it's a preposterous joke. From the article above:

At a time when workers produced a tenth of what they do today, William Howard Taft, a conservative Republican, argued that all workers needed two or three months of holiday time each year to improve health, family connections and productivity. Yet, more than a hundred years later, Americans average two weeks of paid vacation and a quarter of us get none at all.

A last thing I would say to @polymoog is I don't advocate laziness or apathy. Any talent takes commitment to bring to fruition. Something you love might take 70 or 80 hours a week. But to keep the basic functions of society operating... we're out of balance and the conversation about possibilities has to continue.
Iam only posting what iam to highlight a trend/developments not because iam against it. I don't think a four day work week is a bad thing, i think that people are more worried about the concept because it would chip away at their salary thus their standard of living or the material possessions they want to pile up.
You may or may not remember that John Adams,in his talk on California, noted that "we are working for the weekend" was designed for a purpose.

Lil axe

Veteran
i think the amount of tax we pay may also add to the reason both parents have to work, seems like always new taxes and service fees to pay , in canada, we are paying like 43 % of our wages in tax, and talks of upping the carbon tax, yay

DavidSon

Star
Iam only posting what iam to highlight a trend/developments not because iam against it. I don't think a four day work week is a bad thing, i think that people are more worried about the concept because it would chip away at their salary thus their standard of living or the material possessions they want to pile up.
You may or may not remember that John Adams,in his talk on California, noted that "we are working for the weekend" was designed for a purpose.
Oh yes I caught that. I have to stress if it's Julian Huxley, the IMF, or other social engineers coming up with these policies based on global warming schemes we should be worried. We the plebs are always caught in the middle. One interesting point of the bill I posted about said there would be severe penalties for overtime work. If the controllers implemented a 30/hour week with our current wages... we'd starve to death. Just like Roosevelt's 3000 some executive orders I think it's too authoritarian to force measures without broad consensus or an underlying strategy for support.

Karlysymon

Superstar
"A four-day work week will make you lazy!"

Would it? Ignoring the fact that many jobs have a lot of "busy work" (i.e.: shit your boss has you do so you look like you're working for corporate), almost everyone I know gets more shit done in their personal lives when they have a day off of work.