11 year old girls lies about jihab being cut

makeorbreak

Established
Recently, an 11 year old girl and her brother lied to Toronto Police about a man cutting her jihab twice in about half an hour. The school jumped on the story quickly and she was on television very quickly before anyone thought to actually check the story out. A homeless man was even arrested but later released for this crime.

The story generated so much press that the Prime Minister and Premier of Ontario commented on it, saying such a crime was not representative of Canadians as a whole. That is true but what the girl and her brother said wasn't and now the family has apologized through a written statement presented by the Toronto Police.

I'm not blaming all Muslims for this incident but some people will harden their stance on Muslims as a result. I believe this girl should have to apologize to everyone in person with her parents beside her. She seemed happy enough to be in front of the press and the cameras to tell how her jihab was cut. She should be willing to do the same to tell the truth or she will not learn the importance of taking responsibility for her mistake.

But she's a child, some will say. She's 11 years old, old enough to understand she should make things right. Her younger brother would learn a lot by watching her do so and let's not forget, he backed up the lie with a smile on his face as well. I wouldn't want to see her face excessive backlash for coming clean but by not doing so, it makes it harder to forgive her if she won't come forward to admit her error.

I have two grandsons living with me and my wife. They are 6 and 7 years old but even at that age, I feel they are old enough to understand that they have to accept responsibililty for their actions. By not coming forward personally, the family and especially the girl, have increased already strained feelings toward the Muslim community. Some will not label them as liars and troublemakers. Sad.

Anyone who makes a mistake that affects an entire group's image is only hurting that group, not being a productive member. Hiding until it goes away is a cowardly act, one which will not serve this girl and her family well in the future.

Lisa

Superstar
Didn’t something happen here in the US, with a high school student?

Kung Fu

Superstar
Recently, an 11 year old girl and her brother lied to Toronto Police about a man cutting her jihab twice in about half an hour. The school jumped on the story quickly and she was on television very quickly before anyone thought to actually check the story out. A homeless man was even arrested but later released for this crime.

The story generated so much press that the Prime Minister and Premier of Ontario commented on it, saying such a crime was not representative of Canadians as a whole. That is true but what the girl and her brother said wasn't and now the family has apologized through a written statement presented by the Toronto Police.

I'm not blaming all Muslims for this incident but some people will harden their stance on Muslims as a result. I believe this girl should have to apologize to everyone in person with her parents beside her. She seemed happy enough to be in front of the press and the cameras to tell how her jihab was cut. She should be willing to do the same to tell the truth or she will not learn the importance of taking responsibility for her mistake.

But she's a child, some will say. She's 11 years old, old enough to understand she should make things right. Her younger brother would learn a lot by watching her do so and let's not forget, he backed up the lie with a smile on his face as well. I wouldn't want to see her face excessive backlash for coming clean but by not doing so, it makes it harder to forgive her if she won't come forward to admit her error.

I have two grandsons living with me and my wife. They are 6 and 7 years old but even at that age, I feel they are old enough to understand that they have to accept responsibililty for their actions. By not coming forward personally, the family and especially the girl, have increased already strained feelings toward the Muslim community. Some will not label them as liars and troublemakers. Sad.

Anyone who makes a mistake that affects an entire group's image is only hurting that group, not being a productive member. Hiding until it goes away is a cowardly act, one which will not serve this girl and her family well in the future.
Kids lie. In Toronto back in 2007 this 17 year old Greek Christian girl accused one of the teachers at East York Collegiate Institute that she was sexually assaulted by him. He lost his job only to find out that he did no such thing and that she had made it all up because he gave her a bad mark on a test. Nothing happened to her.

Regardless she's a liar and troublemaker and I hope her parents deal with her in an appropriate manner.

makeorbreak

Established
This is not obviously not the first and won't be the last. This has happened with reported rapes, adbuctions and other crimes. Maybe, if this girl had to publicly own her lie, it might serve as a deterrent to other kids who could be tempted to tell a lie in public.

Kung Fu

Superstar
This is not obviously not the first and won't be the last. This has happened with reported rapes, adbuctions and other crimes. Maybe, if this girl had to publicly own her lie, it might serve as a deterrent to other kids who could be tempted to tell a lie in public.
Well if you want kids to publicly own up to their lies then we should have started a long time ago. I think we missed that train the day we decided to treat our teenagers like they were 6 years old.

makeorbreak

Established
Agreed. Children should always be raised to respect others and not to do things that can hurt others, including lying. I've always tried to do that raising my three children. I continue to do this with my two grandsons whom we're raising. I cringe when I see parents subscribing to the 'new age' parenting techniques everyone's so eager to embrace. A child should not and cannot be treated as someone who is incapable of learning right from wrong. By not holding them responsible for their actions, these parents are opening them up to a world of hurt when others confront them about something they've done, expecting an apology. A lot can be forgiven but it starts with two simple words, "I'm sorry". It may be the two hardest words to say at the time but it sure beats, "So what?"

Kung Fu

Superstar
Agreed. Children should always be raised to respect others and not to do things that can hurt others, including lying. I've always tried to do that raising my three children. I continue to do this with my two grandsons whom we're raising. I cringe when I see parents subscribing to the 'new age' parenting techniques everyone's so eager to embrace. A child should not and cannot be treated as someone who is incapable of learning right from wrong. By not holding them responsible for their actions, these parents are opening them up to a world of hurt when others confront them about something they've done, expecting an apology. A lot can be forgiven but it starts with two simple words, "I'm sorry". It may be the two hardest words to say at the time but it sure beats, "So what?"
I agree.

makeorbreak

Established
They used to say spoil the rod, spoil the child. I'm not promoting corporal punishment and parents should not start spanking their children on a daily basis but when I was growing up, I was taught there were consequences for my actions. I respected my parents and others because I knew I was going to be accountable for anything I did.

My grandson lied to me one day about something he brought home from school, saying the teacher gave it to him. I said I would ask the teacher about it and he then said it was a friend who gave it to him. I said I was going to the school the next day and speak with the student but he then told me he found it on the ground. After a short discussion, I believed him to finally be telling the truth but by the end, he knew he was going to be caught if he tried to lie again. He may try but he knows I will find him out. The item went back to school and was placed in the lost and found so the rightful owner can get it. My grandson is only 6 years old, a young six year old but he knows better than to try putting one over on me. He even had to apologize to the teacher for involving her in his lie.

Some of you may say I'm being hard on him but I never raised my hand to him. I was firm and made him own his actions. A child who is raised never having to apologize for lying or other bad deeds may not necessarily turn out to be a bad adult but who knows? They may actually grow up to live in the White House.

Kung Fu

Superstar
They used to say spoil the rod, spoil the child. I'm not promoting corporal punishment and parents should not start spanking their children on a daily basis but when I was growing up, I was taught there were consequences for my actions. I respected my parents and others because I knew I was going to be accountable for anything I did.

My grandson lied to me one day about something he brought home from school, saying the teacher gave it to him. I said I would ask the teacher about it and he then said it was a friend who gave it to him. I said I was going to the school the next day and speak with the student but he then told me he found it on the ground. After a short discussion, I believed him to finally be telling the truth but by the end, he knew he was going to be caught if he tried to lie again. He may try but he knows I will find him out. The item went back to school and was placed in the lost and found so the rightful owner can get it. My grandson is only 6 years old, a young six year old but he knows better than to try putting one over on me. He even had to apologize to the teacher for involving her in his lie.

Some of you may say I'm being hard on him but I never raised my hand to him. I was firm and made him own his actions. A child who is raised never having to apologize for lying or other bad deeds may not necessarily turn out to be a bad adult but who knows? They may actually grow up to live in the White House.
Good stuff.

makeorbreak

Established
Like the quote from the Quran about Allah being informed of what ye do. We also tell our grandsons that they may be able to hide what they did or said from others but God will always find out. We're not overly religions but we know there is something to believe in. One of the unifying factors between the world's religions is that your sins will be found out. Apologizing to others for your mistakes is just one way to absolve those sins. You may go to your maker in the end but you have to live a long time here on the earth with the rest of us first. Might as well make it a pleasant stay.