10 Extremely Weird Religions

Paranoia Daily

Veteran
And you thought weird was only for the rich and famous..

Coming in at #10 on the list is Scientology most are familiar with it...

At # 9 is Creativity Movement...Never heard of this one but it is supposedly a White Separatists movement that advocates only white religion.

#8...Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth, basically a loose group of magic practitioners.

#7..Nation of Yahweh,They were founded in 1979 in Miami by Hulon Mitchell, Jr., who went by the name Yahweh ben Yahweh. Their goal is to return African Americans, whom they see as the original Israelites, to Israel.

#6..Church of All Worlds,The Church of All Worlds is a neo-pagan religion founded in 1962 by Oberon Zell-Ravenheart and his wife Morning Glory Zell-Ravenheart.

#5..Universe People,Universe people or Cosmic people of light powers (Czech: Vesmírní lidé sil sv?tla) is a Czech religious movement centered around Ivo A. Benda. Its belief system is based upon the existence of extraterrestrial civilizations communicating with Benda and other “contacters”

#4..Church of the SubGenius, Love this one..The Church of the SubGenius is a parody religion that promotes slack, while in a meta-commentarial way, satirizes religion, conspiracy theories, UFOs, and popular culture. The church claims to have been founded in the 1950s by the “world’s greatest salesman” J. R. “Bob” Dobbs. “Bob” Dobbs is depicted as a cartoon of a Ward Cleaver-like man smoking a pipe. Check out the website: http://subgenius.com/index.htm

Also The Rev Stang produced a book called High Weirdness by mail and I don't think its in print anymore but I believe its still available on Amazon. Listed below or a few items from sections of the book:

Battle Cry of Aggressive Christianity, Free Love Ministries (p 64) – Among the most strident Christian voices in the book. Nowadays they seem to be better known as the Aggressive Christian Ministry Training Corps. Don't let the organization's name in the heading fool you, this is no friendly bunch of folk but full-on hatemongers.

Bible Believers' Evangelistic Association (p 66) – Carrying on the tradition of Clarence Larkin, that dispensationalist draftsman of Christ, into the 21st century. The BBEA made, and still make for that matter, flyers and pamphlets with "bible maps," illustrated diagrams of (their idiosyncratic interpretation of) Biblical doctrine.

http://www.metafilter.com/119370/High-Weirdness-By-Mail

#3..Prince Philip Movement,The Prince Philip Movement is a cargo cult of the Yaohnanen tribe on the southern island of Tanna in Vanuatu.

#2..The Church of Euthanasia,According to the church’s website, the one commandment is “Thou shalt not procreate”. The CoE further asserts four principal pillars: suicide, abortion, cannibalism (“strictly limited to consumption of the already dead”), and sodomy (“any sexual act not intended for procreation”). Slogans employed by the group include “Save the Planet, Kill Yourself”, “Six Billion Humans Can’t Be Wrong”, and “Eat a Queer Fetus for Jesus”, all of which are intended to mix inflammatory issues to unnerve those who oppose abortion and homosexuality. This is one weird group....

And at #1...Nuwaubianism, yeah I know I have never heard of it either...Nuwaubianism is an umbrella term used to refer to the doctrines and teachings of the followers of Dwight York. The Nuwaubians originated as a Black Muslim group in New York in the 1970s, and have gone through many changes since.

http://listverse.com/2009/09/10/10-extremely-weird-religions/

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
Nation of Yahweh,They were founded in 1979 in Miami by Hulon Mitchell, Jr., who went by the name Yahweh ben Yahweh. Their goal is to return African Americans, whom they see as the original Israelites, to Israel.
I think there might be a couple of people who believe this here.