“Misotheism” Discussed

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I came across this word today and it struck a chord with interactions I have had with some people. I don’t believe in the Easter Bunny, but I honestly wouldn’t waste a keystroke to debunk it’s existence. Not so with the misotheist...

Misotheism is the "hatred of God" or "hatred of the gods" (from the Greek adjective μισόθεος misotheos "hating the gods" or "God-hating" – a compound of μῖσος "hatred" and θεός "god").

Wigi

Veteran
I noticed this is more prevalent among gnostics and ex-catholics and it's often about the problem of evil. They believe God can't Love and judge or Justice can't be practiced by a loving person. In fact there can't be a solution with their reasoning because they're not satisfied with Grace/forgiveness either as they consider it as scapegoating the faults of a guilty person.
The way I see it, 'Misotheists' wants something and its opposite when it's just an excuse for them to deny their Creator because they want to live the way they see fit.

shankara

Star
From Access To Insight (note that it's talking about Devas in the realm of Brahma, not Brahmins the Hindu priestly caste):

Maha Brahma

The stories of a Buddha going to teach a brahma take place on the plane of Maha Brahma, the third of the fine-material planes (No. 14). Many people worship Maha Brahma as the supreme and eternal creator God, but for the Buddha he is merely a powerful deity still caught within the cycle of repeated existence. In point of fact, "Maha Brahma" is a role or office filled by different individuals at different periods.

The Buddha has directly seen the origins of Maha Brahma and understands what it requires to be reborn in his world. In the Brahmajala Sutta (DN 1) the Buddha describes how a supposed Creator God came to believe himself omnipotent and how others came to rely on his sovereignty. His description was based, not on speculation or hearsay, but on his own direct knowledge. The Buddha explains that when our world system disintegrates, as it regularly does after extremely long periods of time, the lower sixteen planes are all destroyed. Beings disappear from all planes below the seventeenth, the plane of the Abhassara gods. Whatever beings cannot be born on the seventeenth or a higher brahma plane then must take birth on the lower planes in other remote world systems.

Eventually the world starts to re-form. Then a solitary being passes away from the Abhassara plane and takes rebirth on the plane of Maha Brahma. A palace created by his kamma awaits him there: "There he dwells, mind-made, feeding on rapture, self-luminous, moving through the air, abiding in glory. And he continues thus for a long, long time." After ages pass, he becomes lonely and longs for other beings to join him. It just so happens that shortly after the brahma starts craving for company, other beings from the Abhassara plane, who have exhausted their lifespans there, pass away and are reborn in the palace of Brahma, in companionship with him.

Because these beings seemed to arise in accordance with the first brahma's wish, he becomes convinced that he is the almighty God: "I am the Great Brahma, the Vanquisher... the Lord, the Maker and Creator, the Supreme Being." The other brahmas, seeing that he was already present when they took birth in his world, accept his claim and revere him as their creator.

Eventually this misconception of a Creator God spreads to the human plane. One of the other brahmas passes away and is reborn here. He develops concentration and learns to recollect his previous life with Maha Brahma, but none of his lives before that. Recollecting that existence he recalls that Maha Brahma was considered the "father of all that are and are to be... permanent, stable, eternal." As he is unable to remember further back, he believes this to be absolute truth and propounds a theistic doctrine of an omnipotent Creator God (Net 69-70, 155-66).

The Venerable Ledi Sayadaw, a highly renowned Myanmar scholar-monk of the first part of this century, gave a careful analysis of the powers of Maha Brahma in his Niyama Dipani (MB pp. 138-39). He states that although Maha Brahma can perform all sorts of transformations, he cannot actually create independent creatures, change the kammic law of cause and effect, or keep anyone from growing old or dying. Brahma can use his special powers to transport a man to the brahma plane for a short visit, but he cannot ensure that someone will be reborn there.

Baka Brahma
A brahma known as Baka once reflected privately that he and his plane of existence were everlasting. He thought that there could be no higher plane of rebirth and was convinced he had overcome suffering. The Buddha discerned his deep-seated wrong view and decided to pay him a visit. When he appeared in that brahma world, Baka Brahma welcomed him formally but immediately announced:
"Now, good sir, this is permanent, this is everlasting, this is eternal, this is total, this is not subject to pass away; for this neither is born nor ages nor dies nor passes away nor reappears, and beyond this there is no escape." (MN 49)
The Buddha, however, contradicted him, pointing out that every one of his claims was wrong. Just then Mara the Evil One joined the conversation. Mara's task is to prevent beings from being won over to the Dhamma, to keep them trapped in the cycle of birth and death, his own personal domain.

Taking possession of one of the brahma's attendants, Mara urged the Buddha, with a display of sympathy, to accept this brahma as God, the creator of all beings. He told the Buddha that recluses of the past who delighted in things of this life and "who lauded Brahma" won happy births afterwards, while those who rejected Brahma had to endure terrible punishment. The Exalted One let him have his say and then called his number:
"I know you, Evil One. Do not think: 'He does not know me.' You are Mara, Evil One, and the Brahma and his assembly and the members of the assembly have all fallen into your hands, they have all fallen into your power. You, Evil One, think: 'This one too has fallen into my hands, he too has fallen into my power'; but I have not fallen into your hands, Evil One, I have not fallen into your power."
All beings subject to craving — humans, subhumans, devas, or brahmas — are said to be in Mara's power because they can all be moved by defilements and must drift along in the current of birth and death. But the Buddha and the arahants have permanently and completely escaped Mara's ken and power, for they have eliminated all defilements. They have exhausted the fuel of rebirth and thus have vanquished the Lord of Death.

Baka Brahma next speaks up on his own behalf. He reminds the Buddha of his opening statement on permanence. He warns him that it is futile to seek "an escape beyond" his own realm, then he cajoles and threatens him in the same breath: "If you will hold to earth... beings... gods... you will be close to me, within my domain, for me to work my will upon and punish." The Buddha agrees that if he clung to earth (or any other aspect of existence) he would remain under the control of Maha Brahma (and Mara too), but he adds: "I understand your reach and your sway to extend thus: Baka the Brahma has this much power, this much might, this much influence." The Buddha points out that beyond the thousandfold world system over which Baka reigns there are planes of existence of which he is totally unaware, and beyond all conditioned phenomena there is a reality that transcends even "the allness of the all" — a consciousness without manifestation, boundless, luminous on all sides — to which Baka has no access. Demonstrating his superiority in knowledge and power, the Buddha uses his psychic powers to humble Baka and his entire assembly. By the end of the discourse, these once haughty beings marvel at the might of the recluse Gotama: "Though living in a generation that delights in being... he has extirpated being together with its root."

I came across this word today and it struck a chord with interactions I have had with some people. I don’t believe in the Easter Bunny, but I honestly wouldn’t waste a keystroke to debunk it’s existence. Not so with the misotheist...

Misotheism is the "hatred of God" or "hatred of the gods" (from the Greek adjective μισόθεος misotheos "hating the gods" or "God-hating" – a compound of μῖσος "hatred" and θεός "god").

While they use different names to describe different beliefs, It is all the same as it was from the beginning as man populated the earth and followed after the influences of the Caninities (except for Noah) before God destroyed them....Then after a time, Satans influence on the population brought about the tower of Babble. You could call them Misotheist. They hated God for the flood and were going to build a tower to heaven to discipline God. You know the rest of the story...it will be that way till the end. But we have proof of God by the Holy Spirit and the workings that it has worked in us. It will be that way until the end.....Remember, Satan is the ruler or prince of the power of the air and it's principles it is governed under.....Even so, Come Lord Jesus Come.

I noticed this is more prevalent among gnostics and ex-catholics and it's often about the problem of evil. They believe God can't Love and judge or Justice can't be practiced by a loving person. In fact there can't be a solution with their reasoning because they're not satisfied with Grace/forgiveness either as they consider it as scapegoating the faults of a guilty person.
The way I see it, 'Misotheists' wants something and its opposite when it's just an excuse for them to deny their Creator because they want to live the way they see fit.
Name a single form of "Gnosticism" that is misotheist. I don't think you even know what the term means.

I don't see the point of misotheism, it's a strange term that has so little practicality and applies to such a slim margin of people that it's rather a useless term added to the bag of other terms like Apatheist and Ignostic etc

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I don't see the point of misotheism, it's a strange term that has so little practicality and applies to such a slim margin of people that it's rather a useless term added to the bag of other terms like Apatheist and Ignostic etc
Romans 1 suggests that hatred of God is being under-reported:-

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
But he believes that God is something else from what you do, so he doesn't hate "God" , he hates your idea of "God"
Well, perhaps that is something for God to know and him to find out? How does anyone truly know the heart condition of another?

Jeremiah 17:9

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Accordingly, I make no judgement on our pseudo-gnostic forum member, and leave it to the Lord (who he may or may not hate).

As written in the link :
The concept of the Demiurge in some versions of ancient Gnosticism also often portrayed the Demiurge as a generally evil entity.
That's an entirely different concept to Misotheism. I know very well what the demiurge concept is.

A common gnostic cosmology with that is that Jesus is the son of the true God. Tgr true God emanates so and so aeons, the last of which was a corruption of the divine perfection and was a demon commonly identified as the "God" of the Old Testament. This demon created the material word and ignorantly thought itself to be the only God.
This is a belief with several variations.

It's definitely not Misotheism because it doesn't consider Yahweh as even being God, merely a tyrannical demonic being. The role of Jesus in such cosmologies is a liberator from that evil demon, the bringer of knowledge to salvation with the true God which is free of any imperfections etc.

It's definitely a theology that deals with certain moral issues better but isn't free from errors, however remains as flawed as mainstream Christian views which tend to be pretty similar anyway.

Wigi

Veteran
The role of Jesus in such cosmologies is a liberator from that evil demon, the bringer of knowledge to salvation with the true God which is free of any imperfections etc.
Yet Jesus death is considered as scapegoating the faults of guilty persons by gnostics.
Also Allah is considered as the worst representation of the demiurge just ask a Gnostic.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
When you consider a person who is a “hater of God”, many people might think of a satanist.

This unpacks a whole concoction of worms as most satanists I have met present themselves as enlightened humanists who are atheistic in outlook an live by the motto of Crowley “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law”.

With this group, they express their hatred of God through their desire to erase mention of God from the public sphere, oppose those who believe by all means at their disposal and live their own lives as though He didn’t exist.

In a sense, I agree with @Infinityloop inasmuch as it is rare for someone to simultaneously articulate an orthodox (as in genuine) Biblical understanding of the character of God and then frankly admit to hating Him.

Wigi

Veteran
When you consider a person who is a “hater of God”, many people might think of a satanist.

This unpacks a whole concoction of worms as most satanists I have met present themselves as enlightened humanists who are atheistic in outlook an live by the motto of Crowley “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law”.

With this group, they express their hatred of God through their desire to erase mention of God from the public sphere and live their own lives as though He didn’t exist.

In a sense, I agree with @Infinityloop inasmuch as it is rare for someone to simultaneously articulate an orthodox (as in genuine) Biblical understanding of the character of God and then frankly admit to hating Him.
People tend to hate what they ignore with the ground of morality and the premise that death penalty is inherently evil.
With that in mind, we easily understand why humanists always root for criminals and despise God's doing towards those who break God's law.
I've had discussion with atheist humanists who agreed that it was not a problem for a criminal to escape justice through suicide and said it would be evil if God judged them for that.

Last edited:
Yet Jesus death is considered as scapegoating the faults of guilty persons by gnostics.
Also Allah is considered as the worst representation of the demiurge just ask a Gnostic.
Most forms of Gnostics strongly regarded Jesus as the ultimate savior, in a much grander conception than simply the Christian sense of "redeeming of sins".

Allah is a generic name for God, it is tautological to say "Allah is God" just like "Theos is God" and "Dios is God" etc.

All authentic forms of Gnosticism predate Islam (and Christianity), so I don't know what the point is you're failing to make here.

With this group, they express their hatred of God through their desire to erase mention of God from the public sphere, oppose those who believe by all means at their disposal and live their own lives as though He didn’t exist.

At that, I've never seen any orthodox Christians here and only two Catholics.
Every one calling themselves "Christian" here are heretics (Protestant), unless you mean Orthodox in the most generic doctrinal sense of ideas that most mainstream forms of Christianity share?

Also when it comes to modern day "Gnostics", most that I've met have taken extreme offense to anyone that rejects Jesus. Take that as you will.