“All of our righteousness is as filthy rags” ~ Isaiah 64:6

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Isaiah 64 says:-

6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
7And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

So if our best (our righteousness) is not good enough, what are we to do?!

TokiEl

Superstar

6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

7And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

Who is the woman giving her opinion about salvation ?

Are we learning from women now on youtube ?

You don't think our best (our righteousness) is good enough ? L0L who do you think God is ?

Do you seriously think that when we do our best that our Father will say Not good enough !

What kind of Father do you imagine Him to be ?

What this woman is promoting is pop christendom also known as Free grace theology which is a heresy. It is wrong doctrine.

She as a lot of christians today has not understood salvation. She thinks salvation is just believe in Jesus... but the truth is that repentance receive remission of sins. The actual act of turning away from sins and starting to live according to the words of Jesus Christ is the narrow way to eternal life.

You believe in Jesus ? Good now do what He said !

Matthew 7 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!

We either practise God's laws or we practise lawlessness.

We either observe the words of Jesus Christ or we don't.

Matthew 7 24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

Last edited:

Robin

Veteran
Who is the woman giving her opinion about salvation ?

Are we learning from women now on youtube ?

You don't think our best (our righteousness) is good enough ? L0L who do you think God is ?

Do you seriously think that when we do our best that our Father will say not good enough !

What kind of Father do you imagine Him to be ?
Our best is not good enough to earn SALVATION. The bible is clear enough on that.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar

Isaiah 6 King James Version (KJV)

6 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.

2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

Todd

Star
While I agree our best is not good enough in and of itself to earn salvation, to think we don't need to include works as part of the process is absurd.

If you disgaree please explain what Jesus meant in Matthew 25: 31-46.

Robin

Veteran
While I agree our best is not good enough in and of itself to earn salvation, to think we don't need to include works as part of the process is absurd.

I don't think anyone serious about their salvation would disagree. Those works are the fruits produced by the Holy Spirit within us.

Works is the very place where the term "on earth as it is in heaven" comes into play. We must actively go out of our way to help people without expecting anything in return and without even trying to proselytize. I think this is one of the most important things because it makes the state of one's heart very apparent. (and as we know "Faith without works is dead" - James 2:14-26)
If you do works only to convert someone, then you are disingenuous and have no ambition towards heaven. If you reject works entirely....well then Jesus has a few parables for that..

Phithx

Veteran

Actually a very good question.

Don't have enough GBs to watch the movie though, but this issue is very fundamental.

View attachment 28518

You don’t earn a gift!
The whole entire passage that quote is from has far more value than that verse itself (because it's clearly not saying that belief in Jesus solved everything and you can put your feet up and do nothing, the very opposite is stated):

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

- Romans 6:15-23

Todd

Star
Romans 6:23 is talking about all men dying because of sin and all men being resurrected. The single largest confusion in Christianity is that most Christians think eternal life/resurrection and salvation are the same thing. They are not.

Salvation is being freed from the power of sin. Resurrection is God raising up all men in the ages to come. Some to the life of the ages (those who were freed from the power of sin in this lifetime) and some to have their place in the lake of fire (where they too will eventually be freed from the power of sin).

Todd

Star
Works is the very place where the term "on earth as it is in heaven" comes into play. We must actively go out of our way to help people without expecting anything in return and without even trying to proselytize. I think this is one of the most important things because it makes the state of one's heart very apparent. (and as we know "Faith without works is dead" - James 2:14-26)
If you do works only to convert someone, then you are disingenuous and have no ambition towards heaven. If you reject works entirely....well then Jesus has a few parables for that..
Agreed. My wife and I have made Matthew 25:31-46 the mission statement of our home. We never attach strings to those who help or require them to convert to any religion or belief system. Some of them do of course, but not because we make a condition of the help or charity we give them.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
The whole entire passage that quote is from has far more value than that verse itself (because it's clearly not saying that belief in Jesus solved everything and you can put your feet up and do nothing, the very opposite is stated):

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
I am using an example from everyday life because of your human limitations. Just as you used to offer yourselves as slaves to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer yourselves as slaves to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

- Romans 6:15-23
I love the whole passage - do you believe this @Infinityloop ?

I think everyone should try to read Romans 6, 7 and 8 to get a perspective on sin, works the flesh and the spirit.

Last edited:
I love the whole passage - do you believe this @Infinityloop ?

I think everyone should try to read Romans 6, 7 and 8 to get a perspective on sin, works the flesh and the spirit.
Yes I do believe it, with exception to what is inevitably a certain interpretation of the closing of 6:23 within the trinitarian worldview (which in many ways directly contradicts the nature of the entire passage itself which, like Paul's writings and the sayings of Jesus, emphasizes our own active participation and not belief treated as supreme)

TokiEl

Superstar
Nobody is going to get saved by just believing in Jesus.

No not one.

You of course have to hear Him and obey. You have to live according to His words.

He will help with that.

There is this delusion in christendom today that all you got to do is believe in Jesus Christ... and that faith will cover all sins as long as you believe in Him. It's absolutely ridiculous.

They think they can go on sinning since they believe in Jesus.

The truth is those are workers of lawlessness.

JoChris

Superstar
Nobody is going to get saved by just believing in Jesus.

No not one.

You of course have to hear Him and obey. You have to live according to His words.

He will help with that.

There is this delusion in christendom today that all you got to do is believe in Jesus Christ... and that faith will cover all sins as long as you believe in Him. It's absolutely ridiculous.

They think they can go on sinning since they believe in Jesus.

The truth is those are workers of lawlessness.
There is a big difference between saving faith and intellectual assent.
A true believer will eventually stop sinning + seek to please Jesus Christ more and more.
A true believer will trust in God.