‘They celebrated, we cried’

‘They celebrated, we cried’: Palestinian reacts to video of soldiers celebrating home demolition

Palestinians in Jerusalem, the West Bank, and across the diaspora are reeling after Israel conducted an unprecedented mass demolition of 10 buildings in the occupied East Jerusalem town of Sur Bahir on Monday.

The demolitions gained widespread international media attention as videos surfaced of Israeli forces aggressively beating activists and forcibly evicting Palestinian families ahead of the demolitions.

One of the more shocking videos of Monday’s events came to light in the evening, following the final demolition of the day.

As local activist Hamada Hamada told Mondoweiss Monday afternoon, Israeli forces had demolished all the buildings, except one, using bulldozers.

Due to the sheer size and location of the final building, instead of bulldozers, Hamada told Mondoweiss that Israeli forces rigged every apartment unit in the building with explosives and evacuated the area.

A video of the events shows Israeli forces stationed on a hill overlooking the building, counting down from 10 in Hebrew. At the end of the countdown, a masked soldier, flanked on either side by two border police officers, presses a button setting off a chain of explosions in the building.

WATCH the most moral army #IDF… INSANE
When a person celebrates the bombing of another person house … He loses his humanity… #Israeli soldiers rejoicing after the bombing of a #Palestinian house in #SurBahir near #Jerusalem. #IsraeliCrimes #BDS #ICC4Israel #StopArmingIsrael pic.twitter.com/fgqU4OiS3B
— Dr. Basem Naim (@basemn63) July 22, 2019
Within seconds, the building crumbles to the ground and a huge cloud of dust and smoke fills the area.

The Israeli officer filming the video can be heard laughing, while the soldier who pressed the button and the border police officer next to him begin to laugh, pat each other’s backs, and embrace.

Loud cheers could be heard in the background, seemingly belonging to the dozens of troops stationed in the area.

One border police officer on camera then prompts the soldier with the detonator to turn around and pose for a photo with the clouds of smoke in the background.

The two then share a congratulatory handshake before the video ends.

The video caused a stir on social media, with Palestinians expressing their outrage, heartbreak, and sadness over seeing Israeli soldiers celebrating the demolition of dozens of Palestinian homes.

The former Minister of Health in Gaza Dr. Basem Naim tweeted: “When a person celebrates the bombing of another person house … He loses his humanity..”

The PLO tweeted out the video, highlighting the fact that a total of 24 Palestinians, 14 of them children, were forcibly displaced during Monday’s demolition campaign, while hundreds of others were otherwise affected.

Lifelong dreams shattered
One of the hundreds of Palestinians affected as 52-year-old Jehad Sous, a father of five, who owned an apartment unit in the building that was demolished by controlled explosion.

“I put all of my life savings into that apartment, more than 345,000 shekels (approx. $97,480),” Sous told Mondoweiss on Tuesday.

“I worked every day of my life with the dream that one day I could provide a better life for my family. And yesterday I watched that dream crumble in just a few seconds.”

Sous told Mondoweiss that he put his savings towards buying a unit in the under-construction building five years ago, with the hope that he could move his family out of their current apartment, a small 70 square meter space.

But three years ago, just as soon as he was close to finishing up the unit so his family could move in, he received a stop-work order from Israeli forces.

“I continued to pay off the cost of the apartment to the landlord, because I had hoped the courts would eventually rule in our favor against the demolition order of the buildings,” Sous said.

He was devastated when the Supreme Court ruled last month in favor of the military’s argument that the building’s posed a “security threat” due to their proximity to the separation barrier.

As he watched his dreams and his family’s future go up in smoke, Sous said he felt like he was living in a nightmare that won’t end.

“I couldn’t believe, I still can’t believe that my house is crumbled to the ground. We can’t believe it. Everything I ever worked for is gone,” he said.

Sous told Mondoweiss that though he has faced many economic difficulties, physical ailments, and hardships in life, he was brought to tears for the first time while watching his house be destroyed.

“I never cried in my life, but I cried yesterday. I can’t describe how I felt in that moment. Watching all my dreams falling down.”

When asked how he felt after seeing the video of soldiers celebrating the demolition, Sous said he was overwhelmed with disgust and frustration.

“They have no humanity,” he said. “They celebrated, while we cried.”

“Even sometimes as soldiers you have orders to carry out. But at least when you do it, and you know it’s wrong, and is destroying the dreams of people, you shouldn’t be happy about it, you should be ashamed.”

Akram al-Wa’ra contributed to this report from the West Bank.

Source:
https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/celebrated-palestinian-celebrating/

Scars512

Established
It absolutely infuriates me that so few people in the world care what is happening to the Palestinians. We are talking human rights violations, flaunting of international laws, war crimes like collective punishment, apartheid, systemic genocide -- all on a scale that most of us have not witnessed before in our lifetimes (unless you are old enough to have been alive during WW2 and witnessed the crimes of the Nazi regime).

When people wonder how the Germans could go along with Hitler and even cheer him -- they should take a good long look in the mirror. In the US, especially, our political leaders, celebrities, religious leaders, news media, etc. all bend over backwards almost on a daily basis to reaffirm our commitment to and support of Israel and turn a blind eye to the suffering of Palestinians. Why is it any wonder that Germans (and other Axis allies) did the same thing? Especially when you consider that speaking out on behalf of the Palestinians is career suicide and will get you labeled as an "anti-semite". They are working hard to make it illegal to criticize Israel. Already there are places where you can't get disaster relief or jobs if you participate in BDS. They are working on laws to criminalize anti-Zionist speech and add financial penalties. Next will come the jail sentences. How is that different than Hitler rounding up dissidents? Hitler didn't immediately start out throwing people in concentration camps. He just got bolder over time when no one rose up to stop him. By the time they did -- it was too late.

We can add in the fact that being accused of being an anti-semite is even worse than being accused of being a p***phile. After all, we still honor people like Woody Allen or Roman Polanski -- but we demonize anyone who speaks out in favor of Palestine which is why so few ever do it. We have sided with the oppressors and twisted reality to make the oppressors the victims so we don't have to face the immorality of what we are choosing to do. History, however, will not be kind to us. By then, though, it will probably be too late for the Palestinians. Someday our descendants will shame us for our cowardice and bemoan our hypocrisy -- much like we now shame our ancestors for their participation in slavery and the genocide of Native Americans or for standing by silently while Hitler committed his crimes. How sad that humans only have the courage to point out the sins of the past rather than try to take steps to stop the sins happening right now in our own time.

As the saying goes, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Apparently, almost all of us are "good Germans" now.

Lisa

Superstar
It absolutely infuriates me that so few people in the world care what is happening to the Palestinians.
I agree that it’s really sad that the Palestinian leaders don’t care what happens to their people and keep them down to continue their hate culture against the Jews. Very unfortunate.

It absolutely infuriates me that so few people in the world care what is happening to the Palestinians. We are talking human rights violations, flaunting of international laws, war crimes like collective punishment, apartheid, systemic genocide -- all on a scale that most of us have not witnessed before in our lifetimes (unless you are old enough to have been alive during WW2 and witnessed the crimes of the Nazi regime).

When people wonder how the Germans could go along with Hitler and even cheer him -- they should take a good long look in the mirror. In the US, especially, our political leaders, celebrities, religious leaders, news media, etc. all bend over backwards almost on a daily basis to reaffirm our commitment to and support of Israel and turn a blind eye to the suffering of Palestinians. Why is it any wonder that Germans (and other Axis allies) did the same thing? Especially when you consider that speaking out on behalf of the Palestinians is career suicide and will get you labeled as an "anti-semite". They are working hard to make it illegal to criticize Israel. Already there are places where you can't get disaster relief or jobs if you participate in BDS. They are working on laws to criminalize anti-Zionist speech and add financial penalties. Next will come the jail sentences. How is that different than Hitler rounding up dissidents? Hitler didn't immediately start out throwing people in concentration camps. He just got bolder over time when no one rose up to stop him. By the time they did -- it was too late.

We can add in the fact that being accused of being an anti-semite is even worse than being accused of being a p***phile. After all, we still honor people like Woody Allen or Roman Polanski -- but we demonize anyone who speaks out in favor of Palestine which is why so few ever do it. We have sided with the oppressors and twisted reality to make the oppressors the victims so we don't have to face the immorality of what we are choosing to do. History, however, will not be kind to us. By then, though, it will probably be too late for the Palestinians. Someday our descendants will shame us for our cowardice and bemoan our hypocrisy -- much like we now shame our ancestors for their participation in slavery and the genocide of Native Americans or for standing by silently while Hitler committed his crimes. How sad that humans only have the courage to point out the sins of the past rather than try to take steps to stop the sins happening right now in our own time.

As the saying goes, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Apparently, almost all of us are "good Germans" now.
Perfectly said!

I've been thinking lately there's several reason the campaign for Palestinian rights appears to be in a downward swing. The conflict has dragged on for so many decades it sort of recedes to the back of peoples minds. The zionist owned media worldwide (at least in the West) plays a major part in obfuscating the issue to the general public. When leaders of key nations like US de-fund UN aid groups and challenge the claims of Palestinian statehood or refugee status... it cements an attitude displayed by the media as well.

The situation for the Palestinians is not hopeless I feel. Countries like Ireland and South Africa have stated their defense and even worked to pass laws supporting boycotts. The BDS movement is slowly eroding the one-sided narrative of why Israel is free to continue encroaching on UN agreed resolutions/territories. The BDS movement is working! Why else would they aim so precisely at that movement? The voice of public opinion is hurting their bottom line and the investors who want to push further into the West Bank.

They may not get as much attention but there are action groups speaking all around the world for Palestinian rights, especially at universities. We have to keep spreading the message. The attention placed on South Africa's apartheid policies up into the 1980's caused a worldwide outcry and changes to their legal system. Descent people will stand up for the oppressed no matter who they are. We have the cause of Right and God the Almighty on our side. Death to all oppressors!

As I'm writing this I saw a post from @Lisa. I recommend not even engaging with her or others like her on this subject. We know there are people who are completely uneducated or brainwashed by corporate media. Also it's now common knowledge the Israeli military has thousands of hired trolls to scan the internet and cause dissonance. In many cases their strategy is to derail the subject or throw people off course, maybe to incite viciousness to get people banned. Their plans won't succeed. Humans have a God given sense of morality and justice that will never be conquered.

...nice touch Lisa. Showing the entire forum in all its glory that Zionists like you lack one very important human quality....humanity.

Even when evidence.is.presented to you and your team Zion counterparts of the evil atrocities Israel is carrying out you still DENY it is happening. Shame on you.

I think you are the perfect example of how Christianity has been subverted by a bunch of war hungry Zionists who's only.aim in life is to see the end of the world, but first they need to end religion.

Your "end times" fantasy will be brought on by your psychotic leaders and guess what? In the end you will be killed like the rest of us.

Have a great afterlife now won't you?

Their plans won't succeed. Humans have a God given sense of morality and justice that will never be conquered.
I wish I had your confidence on this. There is now technology being installed world wide which can pretty much negate any person's sense of morality and justice. Developed by the military and created in Israel this tech can quite easily achieve more than any bomb.or bullet ever could.

I heard a ridiculous conspiracy theory.the other day, about 5G having something to do with being able to get faster download speeds..... I know.....mental.

Lisa

Superstar
...nice touch Lisa. Showing the entire forum in all its glory that Zionists like you lack one very important human quality....humanity.

Even when evidence.is.presented to you and your team Zion counterparts of the evil atrocities Israel is carrying out you still DENY it is happening. Shame on you.

I think you are the perfect example of how Christianity has been subverted by a bunch of war hungry Zionists who's only.aim in life is to see the end of the world, but first they need to end religion.

Your "end times" fantasy will be brought on by your psychotic leaders and guess what? In the end you will be killed like the rest of us.

Have a great afterlife now won't you?
I’m not living for an afterlife...too much life to go through to get there.

What did I say that showed my lack of humanity? The palestinian leaders should take care of their people, like we all want world leaders to take care of us, right? Only they don’t do a good job either. Why is it the Jews fault that they don’t? The Jews have agreed at various times to a two state solution but the palestinians always shoot it down..yep, I did just say that :oops:..because they want the Jews wiped off the face of the earth and anything short of that is not worth it.

I don’t deny that the palestinians are complicit in what the Israeli’s do to them. Don’t shoot rockets into Israel..don’t roll flaming tires or set off flaming balloons into Israel and you wouldn’t get anything back. Live in harmony with your neighbors and in this instance your neighbors would be thrilled to live in harmony with you...not so hard to understand.

There is no way anyone on the earth can bring about the end times scenario because they will it. The end times scenario will come to pass because its what’s going to happen and definitely no Christian can bring it about, we can only watch it take place. That’s not to say that that isn’t their part in the end times.

I don’t know what leaders you think I follow? I may be killed like the rest of the people, God hasn’t promised me that I will indeed make it to His 2nd coming, I may die next year of some disease...no guarantees in life, ya know. But, I do know what is going to take place on the earth because of the Bible and am waiting for Jesus to return, not so that I can live eternally, but because I will be awfully glad to see Him face to face!!:)

I’m not living for an afterlife...too much life to go through to get there.

What did I say that showed my lack of humanity? The palestinian leaders should take care of their people, like we all want world leaders to take care of us, right? Only they don’t do a good job either. Why is it the Jews fault that they don’t? The Jews have agreed at various times to a two state solution but the palestinians always shoot it down..yep, I did just say that :oops:..because they want the Jews wiped off the face of the earth and anything short of that is not worth it.

I don’t deny that the palestinians are complicit in what the Israeli’s do to them. Don’t shoot rockets into Israel..don’t roll flaming tires or set off flaming balloons into Israel and you wouldn’t get anything back. Live in harmony with your neighbors and in this instance your neighbors would be thrilled to live in harmony with you...not so hard to understand.

There is no way anyone on the earth can bring about the end times scenario because they will it. The end times scenario will come to pass because its what’s going to happen and definitely no Christian can bring it about, we can only watch it take place. That’s not to say that that isn’t their part in the end times.

I don’t know what leaders you think I follow? I may be killed like the rest of the people, God hasn’t promised me that I will indeed make it to His 2nd coming, I may die next year of some disease...no guarantees in life, ya know. But, I do know what is going to take place on the earth because of the Bible and am waiting for Jesus to return, not so that I can live eternally, but because I will be awfully glad to see Him face to face!!:)
What has this got to do with the IDF soldiers cheering and congratulating each other after demolishing a Palestinian apartment building that's in the OP? Did you at least read it? If not, then it's why @DavidSon doesn't care to address you because your post has absolutely NO bearing on what the thread is about. Quelle supreeze...

Last edited:

Lisa

Superstar
What has this got to do with the IDF soldiers cheering and congratulating each other after demolishing a Palestinian apartment building that's in the OP? Did you at least read it? If not, then it's why @DavidSon doesn't care to address you because what your post has absolutely NO bearing on what the thread is about. Quelle supreeze...
It has everything to do with what Awoken posted to me...

Lisa

Superstar
Which was regarding your post here. The simple fact you don't seem to grasp the humanitarian tragedy that is happening to the Palestinians and not hold Israel accountable for anything is mind-boggling.
Why can’t I hold the palestinians responsible for their failures?

Lisa

Superstar
I'm out. This question is what I think falls into the realm of "uneducated" and/or "brainwashed".
I would think that the constant blaming of Israel for the failures of the palestinian leaders is the brainwashed and uneducated realm you are talking about.

The soldiers celebrating tearing down ppl’s homes is disgusting. Idc if there’s a list of “but they..!”, rejoicing when a family loses their home is sick. Ppl can have different opinions regarding how one side of the situation is ‘right’ and the other is ‘wrong,’ but cheering in that situation...or defending the cheering...c’mon..I’d hope that at least regarding their reaction to the destruction of family homes both sides can agree it was wrong. Romans 12:17-21 is in direct contradiction with using a “but they...!” list to defend the soldier’s celebratory behavior.

Lisa

Superstar
The soldiers celebrating tearing down ppl’s homes is disgusting. Idc if there’s a list of “but they..!”, rejoicing when a family loses their home is sick. Ppl can have different opinions regarding how one side of the situation is ‘right’ and the other is ‘wrong,’ but cheering in that situation...or defending the cheering...c’mon..I’d hope that at least regarding their reaction to the destruction of family homes both sides can agree it was wrong. Romans 12:17-21 is in direct contradiction with using a “but they...!” list to defend the soldier’s celebratory behavior.
What was the but they excuse?

Flashback 1937 - Palestine Divided into Three Parts

excerpt:
"In its recommendation of the creation of two independent States the commission’s report says that it had considered the possibility of applying certain palliatives to solve the problem, such as cantonization or drastic restriction of Jewish immigration and land purchase, but it rejected these and others as failing to go to the root of the problem."

To read that NYT article from 1937:
https://www.islamicity.org/20747/flashback-1937-palestine-divided-into-three-parts/

Last edited:
The homes were built illegally and only one was occupied. Boo hoo.
As if you have a job jumping to defend crimes against humanity with lies and propaganda

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/dest...HAKUC5MHVY96oRZhPrJshPujYEEYdcW36opIv3A0WxdE0

The Haaretz article hinted at the real reason for the demolitions. There was no mention of stopping “suicide bombers.” Instead, Hass and Khoury quoted a left-wing Israeli activist who charged that the demolitions were part of Israel’s “demographic war” against East Jerusalem, the ongoing effort to squeeze Palestinians out of the city entirely.

As if you have a job jumping to defend crimes against humanity with lies and propaganda

https://mondoweiss.net/2019/07/dest...HAKUC5MHVY96oRZhPrJshPujYEEYdcW36opIv3A0WxdE0

The Haaretz article hinted at the real reason for the demolitions. There was no mention of stopping “suicide bombers.” Instead, Hass and Khoury quoted a left-wing Israeli activist who charged that the demolitions were part of Israel’s “demographic war” against East Jerusalem, the ongoing effort to squeeze Palestinians out of the city entirely.
No, the buildings were constructed illegally. That status was challenged and the challenge was lost in court, hence the demolition. Similar bylaw infractions are dealt with all over the world without coverage from Mondoweiss. But, because it’s Israel, it must be a a racist, Zionist bylaw, and the enforcement of a court ruling must be an atrocity.