הַנְּפִלִ֞ים - The Nephilim

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Doing justice to both perspectives on Genesis 6:4...

The Sethite View

David Daniels, who I like and respect, takes the view that the “sons of God” refers to the godly line of Seth. He outlines it here:-

The Angelic View

Chuck Missler takes the view that the sons of God were angels and explores the implications for UFOs, extra dimensions, Nephilim tribes and the nature of fallen angels and demons. At 49 minutes in he also offers a competent critique of the Sethite view.

meximonk

Star
Doing justice to both perspectives on Genesis 6:4...

The Sethite View

David Daniels, who I like and respect, takes the view that the “sons of God” refers to the godly line of Seth. He outlines it here:-

The Angelic View

Chuck Missler takes the view that the sons of God were angels and explores the implications for UFOs, extra dimensions, Nephilim tribes and the nature of fallen angels and demons. At 49 minutes in he also offers a competent critique of the Sethite view.

This a common misconception. Read the Bible in Hebrew.

meximonk

Star
I am learning Hebrew but am not fluent (at all!) -

What do you get from the Hebrew that is more opaque in the English text?
So much. It feels like the first time I put on glasses, I was 15. I had been needing them for some time. Suddenly, everything I was seeing, but had a pretty good idea what it all looked like, became so much clearer.

Learning Biblical Hebew is a noble endeavor. Anyone that expects you to pick it up like lightning is an idiot, so I commend you in your efforts! I've studied a lot of languages, Hebrew was one of the hardest. Use translation aids as need be, (I still do frequently), but remember that even they are biased, no matter the author's intentions.

meximonk

Star
I should also add that there's a cultural context to aid in understanding. A large part of understanding Hebrew is understanding it's context and the cultural background. It is commonly said by many pastors who understand neither of the above that "B'nei Elohim" means "Sons of God." This is not entirely correct. Literally, it is translated, "Sons of gods", which of course could be applied to no man until The Messiah tore away the veil.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I should also add that there's a cultural context to aid in understanding. A large part of understanding Hebrew is understanding it's context and the cultural background. It is commonly said by many pastors who understand neither of the above that "B'nei Elohim" means "Sons of God." This is not entirely correct. Literally, it is translated, "Sons of gods", which of course could be applied to no man until The Messiah tore away the veil.
Have you ever read “The Unseen Realm” by Michael S Heiser? I don’t agree with everything he says but it digs into depths that many Christians are nervous to explore. Language and context are so important.

meximonk

Star
Have you ever read “The Unseen Realm” by Michael S Heiser? I don’t agree with everything he says but it digs into depths that many Christians are nervous to explore. Language and context are so important.
Sorry, can't say that I have. I used to believe in only reading the Bible (which I obviously don't anymore and now believe was foolish), but as a result my reading list isn't as extensive as it perhaps should be.

I keep hearing that name (the author) though lately. Curious...

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Sorry, can't say that I have. I used to believe in only reading the Bible (which I obviously don't anymore and now believe was foolish), but as a result my reading list isn't as extensive as it perhaps should be.

I keep hearing that name (the author) though lately. Curious...
Elohim - singular or plural

meximonk

Star
You will anger a lot of people when you say this, but also "I am that I am" is probably also one of His names. I think you'd probably agree with that one though.

meximonk

Star
IOW, your suggestion that the plurality of the word Elohim might be "The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", may, emphasis, on may, be correct. But I don't believe it to be.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
IOW, your suggestion that the plurality of the word Elohim might be "The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit", may, emphasis, on may, be correct. But I don't believe it to be.
In my estimation, when a microscope fails to give a conclusive answer, switch to a wide angle lens.