הַנְּפִלִ֞ים - The Nephilim

elsbet

Superstar
I also have the book. Waste of money. Full of interesting and probably true information that is essentially meaningless to us mortals. Too bad Heiser is dumb as a post when it comes to the New Testament. Too bad he's wasted his life on this one minor thing.
I am agog at this statement of yours.

AGOG.

If true-- and I believe wholeheartedly that it is-- then it is the missing piece that allows everything else to fall into place.

PSALM 82

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
I am agog at this statement of yours.

AGOG.

If true-- and I believe wholeheartedly that it is-- then it is the missing piece that allows everything else to fall into place.

PSALM 82
"Too bad he's wasted his life on this one minor thing."

I have got a lot of of Mikes work, but I would agree that when anything comes in the way of your willingness to share the Gospel with the lost, and when a particular doctrine you are fond of becomes the main focus, it can throw a Christian into all kinds on error.

In seeing error in the walk others we should also take care of our own.

elsbet

Superstar
"Too bad he's wasted his life on this one minor thing."

I have got a lot of of Mikes work, but I would agree that when anything comes in the way of your willingness to share the Gospel with the lost, and when a particular doctrine you are fond of becomes the main focus, it can throw a Christian into all kinds on error.

In seeing error in the walk others we should also take care of our own.
Irony. :rolleyes:

Man, I loathe pretense.

We've discussed this before, and we have similar misgivings on Heiser-- but I cannot fault the man for his motivation.

And if God has so moved him, or anyone, on the matter-- then who are we to judge another man's servant, I wonder. God is author and finisher *every* time. Ingratiating oneself to those who are not seeing or hearing is unnecessary and deceptive.* But the illusion of control is often a real struggle for some people. And not only of themselves, it seems. I can assure you.. if I alienate anyone here, it will be due to my un-compromising stance on Israel.

@cfowen .. exactly none of the above is aimed at you. I probably should have used a smiley in my dramallama response to your post. I have a real penchant for the dramatic. Next time :D

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Irony. :rolleyes:

Man, I loathe pretense.

We've discussed this before, and we have similar misgivings on Heiser-- but I cannot fault the man for his motivation.

And if God has so moved him, or anyone, on the matter-- then who are we to judge another man's servant, I wonder. God is author and finisher *every* time. Ingratiating oneself to those who are not seeing or hearing is unnecessary and deceptive.* But the illusion of control is often a real struggle for some people. And not only of themselves, it seems. I can assure you.. if I alienate anyone here, it will be due to my un-compromising stance on Israel.

@cfowen .. exactly none of the above is aimed at you. I probably should have used a smiley in my dramallama response to your post. I have a real penchant for the dramatic. Next time :D
I know this one is slightly off topic, but here is an example of someone who had "one thing" but he has been a real blessing to me this week!

TokiEl

Superstar
Yes there is an aspect of reality known in folklore or mythology concerning gods and their giant children in charge of advanced civilisations. And today this is above top secret.

We can speculate why the governments of the world don't want to share this knowledge with the public.

I suspect it is because there is a familiarity between the nephilim and the blue bloods.

elsbet

Superstar
As promised.. *bump*

The following poses an interesting idea-- that instead of Hybrids, these nephilim may possibly be both fully human and fully angelic, in nature. Not angelic meaning good-- they were sired by the Fallen-- but angelic, meaning supernatural. Get past the first 8 minutes.. I think there may be an intro that wasn't part of the original. It's only 35-40 minutes long, and the rest is more than intriguing.

Aero

Superstar
I wonder if ancient authors knew how literally people would take them.

As far as I can tell Giant is meant to be taken symbolically. Maybe the Nephilim were larger than average, but I don't believe they are what most people say they are. Hybrid is a better term, but the only difference is the genetics. And my personal term for this myth is the people who have elf blood. It's the elf blood that gives them extra spiritual power.

I fail to connect the dots on how elf blood could be a mutation towards extinction. It just seems like the opposite would be true. We should find the Nephilim descendants and recruit them into our ranks. You know? Make sure they don't use their wisdom and power for evil deeds.

elsbet

Superstar
I wonder if ancient authors knew how literally people would take them.

As far as I can tell Giant is meant to be taken symbolically. Maybe the Nephilim were larger than average, but I don't believe they are what most people say they are. Hybrid is a better term, but the only difference is the genetics. And my personal term for this myth is the people who have elf blood. It's the elf blood that gives them extra spiritual power.

I fail to connect the dots on how elf blood could be a mutation towards extinction. It just seems like the opposite would be true. We should find the Nephilim descendants and recruit them into our ranks. You know? Make sure they don't use their wisdom and power for evil deeds.
If one was writing for posterity, what was, in many ways, a documentary... it would be foolish to use euphemisms with any real frequency-- especially since they don't translate very well, and have a tendency to change with each generation. Imo, anyway.

But yeah, Nephilim, as far as I can tell, is derived from Naphal (fall). I shrug-- it would be the blood / genetics that made them different and powerful, yes... and an abomination, of course. Doesn't mean there weren't giants among them, though.

Why are you assuming a mutation toward extinction? You lost me there.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Mystery of Alexandria's largest coffin: Archaeologists unearth 8.6-foot-long stone sarcophagus buried in Egypt 2,000 years ago beside a massive stone head

• Experts say black granite sarcophagus found in Alexandria measures 8.6 ft long
  • It was buried 5m deep during Ptolemaic period, which lasted from 332-30 BCE
  • Archaeologists also found alabaster head, likely representing the tomb's owner
Egyptian archaeologists have discovered what’s thought to be the largest granite sarcophagus ever found in Alexandria, measuring nearly nine feet long.

The massive stone casket was buried more than 16 feet beneath the surface alongside a huge alabaster head – likely belonging to the man who owned the tomb.

Experts say the ancient coffin has remained untouched since its burial thousands of years ago during the Ptolemaic period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5910269/Archaeologists-unearth-8-6-foot-tall-sarcophagus-buried-Egypt-massive-stone-head.html

elsbet

Superstar
Mystery of Alexandria's largest coffin: Archaeologists unearth 8.6-foot-long stone sarcophagus buried in Egypt 2,000 years ago beside a massive stone head

• Experts say black granite sarcophagus found in Alexandria measures 8.6 ft long
  • It was buried 5m deep during Ptolemaic period, which lasted from 332-30 BCE
  • Archaeologists also found alabaster head, likely representing the tomb's owner
Egyptian archaeologists have discovered what’s thought to be the largest granite sarcophagus ever found in Alexandria, measuring nearly nine feet long.

The massive stone casket was buried more than 16 feet beneath the surface alongside a huge alabaster head – likely belonging to the man who owned the tomb.

Experts say the ancient coffin has remained untouched since its burial thousands of years ago during the Ptolemaic period.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5910269/Archaeologists-unearth-8-6-foot-tall-sarcophagus-buried-Egypt-massive-stone-head.html
WOW.

Bacsi

Star
I have been digging into the teachings of Chuck Missler and came across the following study some VCF members may find interesting...

Thé ancient gods who came down to human daughters are extraterrestrials or people of earthly advanced civilization who possessed advanced technologies.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Thé ancient gods who came down to human daughters are extraterrestrials or people of earthly advanced civilization who possessed advanced technologies.
I love how Moses knew about Sitchin and put that cover story about Nephilim in Genesis 6!

In related news. .

elsbet

Superstar
Having (very occasionally) to have had to dig deep holes into hard ground, no-on digs a hole (or makes a coffin) bigger than is needed!!!

P.s. (from the article)

"Just who is buried inside, however – and the identity of the man in the alabaster carving – remains a mystery."
Yes, I saw that... :mad: ... and I suppose it will remain a mystery, if the past is any indication, but I do want to know about the BONES.

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Genesis was not written by Moshe, but by several authors and editors
Just like the Book of Daniel couldn't possibly have been written by Daniel when it claims? I wonder if there is a common thread in this scholarly effort?

[This article was republished in an full-color format in the Spring 2011 issue of Bible and Spade.]

Excerpt: This article was originally published by Dr. Hasel in 1992, and was reproduced in Bible and Spade with permission. Though the article is 20 years old, it has still significant information about the Book of Daniel found amongst the Dead Seas Scrolls. Most importantly, the existence of Daniel in the DSS disproves the skeptical position that Daniel was originally written in the 2nd century BC. This position has been taken by skeptics to avoid the detailed prophecies in Daniel that ultimately came to pass, strong evidence for the divine authorship of Scripture. Continue reading

Oh and p.s. - what an interesting find on "textual criticism" it yields...

"
This date is still very significant because the Masoretic text (MT) from which our Bibles are translated comes from a major manuscript that is dated to 1008 AD (Wurthwein 1979:35). In other words, we are able to compare for the first time in history the Hebrew and Aramaic of the book of Daniel with manuscripts of the same book that are about 1,000 years older. A comparison between the MT and the earlier manuscripts contained in 1QDana, 1QDanb, and 6QDan, based upon a careful study of the variants and relationships with the MT, reveals that “the Daniel fragments from Caves 1 and 6 reveal, on the whole, that the later Masoretic text is preserved in a good, hardly changed form. They are thus a valuable witness to the great faithfulness with which the sacred text has been transmitted” (Mertens 1971:31).

These textual witnesses demonstrate that the MT was faithfully preserved and confirm that the Hebrew and Aramaic text of Daniel is reliable.

Last edited:

Red Sky at Morning

Superstar
Genesis was not written by Moshe, but by several authors and editors
Examining the "Documentary Hypothesis"

"It is not my intention to attack the character of those who advocate the Documentary Hypothesis. But the Bible says in Rom. 1:18-21 that men suppress the truth of God's word in their unrighteousness. This is what is happening here. They are suppressing the truth. They are devising elaborate methods to deny the inspiration and authenticity of the Bible, particularly the Pentateuch. Nevertheless, there are several issues worth examining when answering their claims.

1. Presuppositions:

By far, the majority of those holding to the JEDP theory presuppose that the miraculous cannot happen. Therefore, they must conclude beforehand that the Pentateuch is not inspired, and Moses could not have written it. They must find another explanation for the Mosaic authorship of the first five books of the Bible.

Such a presupposition does not allow a proper examination of the documents and will result in inaccurate conclusions."

https://carm.org/answering-documentary-hypothesis